Discussions By Condition: Cardiovascular disease

sudden episodes of BRIGHT blue veins in arms

Posted In: Cardiovascular disease 4 Replies
  • Posted By: grammag
  • September 25, 2008
  • 09:25 PM

A couple of weeks ago I experienced an episode of the most extreme weakness. I couldn't walk the length of the hall without my knees buckling. I was a little short of breath -not gasping - and my right arm felt quite heavy. The arm hurt, like it was pressure fromwithing trying to get out. The Dr. took me off work for a week and said the ekg "had some irregularities" but the blood work was withing normal limits. It took 4 days to gain back any strength at all. The following week, and twice since then, as I was getting ready for a bath, I noticed the blue veins in my arms, hands and the top of my breasts had turned very bright. They didn't look anything like varicose veins (no cording or bulging, not dark blue) and they aren't spider veins. There was no pain associated, but they looked like they'd been painted on with a bright peacock blue marking pen. They were still that way when I went to bed, but back to normal in the morning. Another ekg "shows some changes", per my Dr and I am scheduled for a Thallium stress test. Does anyone know what would cause my veins to look like this. They're scarier than than the chest discomfort and shortness of breath!

Reply Flag this Discussion

4 Replies:

• Hi, sounds kinda similar along with ALL my other many ailmentsI have the same Bright blue veins at certain times the only thing I've found out so far because I'm sure you know how long it takes to get an accurate Diagnosis I have Lupus anticoagulant something with the blood clotting irregularly. Maybe have them start running blood disorder tests....Best wishes MAE
    mae3057 50 Replies
    • November 6, 2008
    • 11:25 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Thank you for that information. I was diagnosed 14 years ago with the anitcardiolipin antibody and have been on Coumadin since that time. I also have rheumatoid arthritis. No physician has mentioned a correlation with my weird bright blue vein episodes, but I don't really think they believe me about those! :( The nuclear stress test showed "no significant symptoms" and the EKG still showed "abnormalities", but the answer is "wait and see what happens". Comforting, isn't it?
    grammag 1 Replies
    • November 7, 2008
    • 00:07 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi, sounds kinda similar along with ALL my other many ailmentsI have the same Bright blue veins at certain times the only thing I've found out so far because I'm sure you know how long it takes to get an accurate Diagnosis I have Lupus anticoagulant something with the blood clotting irregularly. Maybe have them start running blood disorder tests....Best wishes MAEHi, Ive been diagnosed with Lupus 20 years ago. I recently started getting bulging veins in my lower arm, They get so swollen, REALLY BAD! Does your veins become really swollen? I dont know if it because of the disease or what???? Thanks.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 7, 2009
    • 00:16 PM
    Flag this Response
  • ..Wait what? I have these symptoms. I better not having lupus or im going to be very upset.
    waterdeepchu 9 Replies
    • August 28, 2012
    • 01:27 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement