Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

collapsed lung, any way to strengthen the lung after?

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 37 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • October 30, 2006
  • 07:22 PM

I recently had a collapsed lung, and the doctors said it can happen again with anyone who has had this happen once, Is there any way I can strengthen my lung to avoid this happening again?

Reply Flag this Discussion

37 Replies:

• Hey tommyMy lung also collapsed a few years ago, not fun at all! I was terrified of another collapse. Luckily for me it never happened, the first thing I did was stop smoking (obviously) and took cats claw (good for rebuilding lung tissue).If your collapse was spontaneous then i am guessing you are tall and thin so eating more will help, also avoid lifting heavy weights and straining too hard as that may cause another collapse. Also aviod too much dust and fumes. Walking and swimming are good forms of exercise. Most of all your lungs need TIME to heal, that is most important. Look after yourself and give your lungs time to heal! Hope you get better!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 8, 2006
    • 00:34 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Did this info of not weight lifting come from a doctor? because i just had a spontaneous pnuemothorax 10-23-2006 - yes i'm tall and thin, unfortunatelly - about a month before this happened i joined the gym to get my weight up, which worked, got from 134lbs to 146 within that span. thought i pulled a muscle in my chest, wrong!! collapsed lung.
    mattrx1 2 Replies
    • November 17, 2006
    • 02:15 AM
    Flag this Response
  • ok thanks, sadly i never read your advice in time and it went down again. Is cats claw commonly available and how did you learn about it? now im definately going to give it time. by the way, do you recall how long it took before your lung again felt fine? ive been recovering since 26th Oct and its still quite sore.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 18, 2006
    • 04:12 PM
    Flag this Response
  • For anyone who is tall and lanky and having problems like described it might be a good idea to be checked out for Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome or Marfanes syndrome as internal organs can be weak with these syndromes as they are connective tissue disorders. Gym work can be very injurious if not deadly for those with these syndromes (and no I am not trying to scare you). Do you have bendy toes and fingers more than the normal Joe Blow? This is a sign of vascular EDS (though individuals are short) as far as I recall those with Marfanes are tall, but of course there are other syndroms that cause connective tissue issues and it can take quite a bit of searching to find the problem (the doctors won't do it for you). Visit www.ednf.org as a start if you feel in some way your body is more susceptable to injury than most.And for strengthening the lung, look up Buteyko breathing technique. :-) All the best.searchingsam
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 19, 2006
    • 01:27 AM
    Flag this Response
  • P.S. You may purely be pushing your body too much; this is common with weight lifting. Take things a lot more easy. Good gains take time and focus, injury will only send you back to square one. Slow, steady and sure.Agape,searchingsam.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 19, 2006
    • 01:31 AM
    Flag this Response
  • searchingsam: thanx for reply, don't think this applies to me. I'm only 5' 8" 135 lbs or so. i'm not lanky, just thin. Gonna hit the pasta and weight gainer powder hard and get weight back up, what concerns me is if/when i start to get back to gym next month will i do more damage then good??? i will in fact take it really slow but when that period is over and i want to start going heavy again, will this do damage? i can't find any info on web - been looking but no luck finding any info on weight training after a SP. any feedback would be great. thanks,
    mattrx1 2 Replies
    • November 19, 2006
    • 01:58 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Thank goodness you show no signs of syndrome, I wouldn’t wish connective tissue disorder on anyone!!This may sound strange but you can still do a work out with your lung as it is. At home with free weights, very light free weights. Nothing that makes you hold your breath and place pressure on your lungs, weights just to keep you supple and keep most of the muscle you have while you rest. Stuffing yourself while recovering will only have you gain fat, not much else.You need to look into the pyramid method of weight lifting. Arnold used this method if I remember correctly (unfortunately he was stupid and also used steroids and paid the price later in his life); you will gain far more mass and a lot quicker. But firstly start with a cardiac work out which will help your lungs and heart. Breathe in and out through your nose only and at a steady natural pace (you don’t want to hyperventerlate :-) ); this will give you correct balance of oxygen in your blood system which is perfect for you to start your workout with; Buteyko breathing method. Drink heaps of room temp water during your workout, cold liquid is not good. Start with a light weight with ten reps x 1 set, then increase the weight and do eight reps x1 set, increase again and do six reps x3 set. And the real secret to success is to do these exercises slowly and under control, do not totally extend to total range of movement (make sure there is always resistance and never a time your muscle rests during the reps in the set, only resting for about 30 seconds between each set so you don’t cool down too much. Never ***k you weights, find a spotter to help you push just that little bit more, but NEVER ***k weight, if you do you will eventually injure yourself, even if it is years from now, it will catch up with you. And visualize what you want to see you muscle become while you are slowly lifting those weights; no pain no gain is not health motto. Lactic burn is natural, and believe me, you do the slow and focus and you will learn a new definition of lactic burn, and remember lactic acid produces energy that your mind and body needs, it is not injurious. And lactic burn is not the pain to avoid; pain that causes any discomfort as though something is going to rip or break or cause pain in any part of your body, particularly the back is to be avoided, we have pain receptors for a reason; they warn us that something isn’t right!!! That we are in danger. Free weights are the best as they eliminate the other leg or arm compensating for the other and you will end up symmetrical like Arnold. And while doing the pyramid it is good to have the three different weights all lined up ready to go as you work through the pyramid. Invest in a few visits with a one on one pilates instructors who will show you which muscles you should be using and how. Believe me, if you have right posture, you can lift more weight and with greater ease and reduce, if not altogether avoid, injury. The pilate visits may be a bit pricy, but so are dietary supplements and injury. My sixty odd year old pilates instructor was a weight lifter and wished he had know about pilates before as incorrect lifting eventually injured his knees and he said he would have been able to life far more weight.Do try the Buteyko breathing while lifting weights.All the best and I hoped this helped (remember, because you have injured your lung you will always have to keep an eye on it; recognise, learn and accept any limitations you have, you will make far more gains than by ignorng them),searchingsam
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 19, 2006
    • 03:51 AM
    Flag this Response
  • :) Hi my name is Tanya, I to had a spontaneous pnuemothorax (collapsed lung) about a month ago, I thought it was my heart as the pain was all in my arm and shortness of breath and i was a heavy smoker.(no i dont smoke any more) Im only short but very thin and have started to put on Weight. The doctors sent me home:confused: and said to come back in three days (i acctuly felt heaps better i thought it had healed itself) so i went back only to be told it was much worse and my heart had acctuly shifted due to the lung being compleatly collapsed.:eek: So they booked me in and put the tube in straight away and i was out 4 days latter. My question is do you still have pain ?? i get a light pain in my neck, sometimes when i take a deep breath, and under the breast area seems to be tender. Any response would be Grateful:rolleyes: Thanks Tanya
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • When I was in my twenties (back in the 70's) I had spontaneous pneumothorax a few times. I am short and (back then), very thin. My doctor said it mainly occurs in young, thin adults. Twice, upon lifting my infant daughter I was aware that something had 'popped'. I think the breathing technique is wonderful advice, and also being sensible about what and how you lift or exert. For the books, after that period, I was never bothered by it again. Good Luck :)
  • Hi, thanks for your reply. I forgot about this thread it was done so long ago. I have not had a repeat and feel good and have gone from 38kg to 53kg.
  • hello. i had a spontaneous pnuemothorax about 4 years ago. i was 25 yrs. old 5'2 and average weight. i don't fit any of the stereotypes. my left lung collapsed while i was in the shower. i had pain in my chest and down my left arm. went to the hospital, got the tube and a few days later, they sent me home. exactly one month later, it happened again. same lung. went to hospital, got the tube and a few days later had surgery. they found a bleb on my lung and said that was the cause. they removed the bleb and roughed up the skin around my lung to prevent collapse in the future. since then i have gone back to normal (not excerising though-i used to be a lot more active) but over the past few years, i still get pain in my chest. i've gone to the doctor and they tell me i'm fine and can't find anything wrong in my x-rays. i get nervous sometimes that it's happening again, but the pain always goes away like nothing ever happened. the pain is mostly under my breast and in the neck area when i take a deep breath. can anyone else relate to this? have any suggestions?
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• Hello all I recently had my gall bladder taken out and it actually collapsed I guess my lung as I am being told. I still cannot breath right and I had a build up of fluid as well on it. They did put a needle in back and got 250 ml of blood out of there but as I went back to the docters i have a build up of fluid again he says, only 30% so far. Giving it another week and then going to go back in and drain again.. Has anyone went thru this had this happen etc ?? I m at a lost of what to do or to trust him any more. He it my liver as well.
    social1 1 Replies
    • August 14, 2007
    • 03:03 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hello all,I am a 41 y/o female about 5'1" and weight about 125 lbs. A few months ago, I lost about 15 lbs. in about one and half months time. I am an avid exerciser and work out daily for about 3 hours. had a spontaneous pneumothorax the beginning of October. I didn't know I had it and just thought it was an asthma attack. When I finally went to ER, they told me my right lung had collapsed about 60%. They inserted a small chest tube and I was hospitalized. After 6 days in the hospital, I was sent home and told my pneumothorax was 90% resolved and the rest would resolve in time. After a few days I went back for a chest x ray and it was getting bigger. I was re-hospitalized and they did thoroscopic surgery and re-inserted another chest tube. They said no leaks were evident during surgery. They didn't do a pleurodesis. I was in for the 2nd time for 5 days then released and said it was 95% resolved and it would resolved on it's own again. I was okay for a about 7 days then started having symptoms again. I went back to ER and it had gotten bigger, I was re-hospitalized for another 6 days and my 3rd chest tube was inserted. When I left the hospital, it was completely resolved and after going for a chest x-ray one week later, it remained resolved. Well, 2 days ago I started having symptoms again and went to ER and they said I had a small pneumothorax. They hospitalized me for one day and sent me home and said since I have had several chest tube insertions already and had thoroscopic surgery, they felt my lung would eventually expand on it's own. I don't want to undergo any surgery if I don't need to but I am miserable. I don't feel like myself and feel like it is taking such a long time to get back to normal. I have been dealing with this since the beginning of October. I also have noticed I have trouble eating, when I eat, I get this feeling of fullness after eating something small and it makes it even harder to breathe. I have told the doctors this since day one of my pneumothorax, but they don't believe it is related. Can anyone relate to this or does anyone have any advice. I am miserable and get so panicked when I feel I am having problems breathing. The breathing difficulty has been on and off daily since I have been home.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 22, 2007
    • 03:04 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I had light pains in my arm and upper part of my right chest. They were very minor and barely lasted an hour. I had these for a month and than it suddenly collapsed one fine saturday morning at 7.30am when I was out having a cigarette. I was put in ospital and a tube was inserted in the right side of my chest. I had to take these breathing exercises while I was in the hospital were I had to blow up a tough rubber tube to inflate my lung back to normal. I was sent home a week later.2 weeks later, the day after I had my stitches removed, at 3.30pm while watching naruto, I had a sudden rush of major back pain and moved onto my chest. The same lung collapsed again. I was transfered to Mater Dei hospital. I had the same tube and I was put under the knife and they stitched my lung back to normal. I just got out 3 days ago.Can you believe my luck? I am getting the same minor pains before the first collapsation on my left side now. Is this really possible to happen a 3rd time on the opposite lung? or am I just over paranoid? I seriously dont wanna go back to hospital stuck with that tube.
  • My boyfriend has had a collapsed lung twice already. He had alot of pain in his chest, and the doctors told him he had a strained muscle. Then when the lung collapsed, he realised, and they confirmed and hospitalized him. They inserted the tube and after about a week they let him out, told him it would heal on it's own, but a week after it collapsed again and he was hospitalized once more (with the tube again). it's been a week he's out of hospital and he's getting minor pain on his left lung now (the one that collapsed twice was the right one) and he's afraid it'll happen again on his left lung.
  • Hi my lung collapsed .... had 2 tubes the 1st time thn it collapsed again and i had to have the surgery. however even after the surgery it collapsed again. !!! now 4mnths on i still find it hard 2 breath deeply and s feel i need 2 yawn 2 fill my lung up propally. and yes i now have pains on the other lung !!! i cnt go through tht horrific ordeal again !! i mentally and physically cnt deal wiv it!! plz plz is there anyway i cn strengthen my lungs!! im onli 19 who v fit , tall and thin i dnt smoke (nver have) and do alot of sport and always have !!
  • I just got out of hospital yesterday after 3 lung collapses within 8 weeks. The 3rd time they did surgery, have stuck the lung to the chest wall........did they do such a surgery with you ?? a stuck lung to the chest wall shouldnot collpase again, or at least thats what they say.Did they do a Computed Tomography on you ? (CT scan)I had 3 cysts at the top of my lung where it was popping. They had to dobig surgery on me, stretch the rib cage and the ribs to get to it. They cut thecysts out and then stuck the lung to the chest wall........Man that hurt like ***l and still does, a real nightmare !!! feels like the ribs will break any second. Allot of pain, a real lotBreathing is still not so good, lung had only half reinflated on the day before theylet me out or maybe its collapsed again.Will be back in hospital to get some stitches out monday, hope they willcheck me again and do another xrayHope mine has not collapsed again even after surgery, I'd flip, don't think I coulddo all that again a 4th time
  • Hi everyone,At this stage thankfully I have only had one collapsed lung about a month ago. Mine I was told was a pretty significant collapse however I only spent 2 days in hospital on oxygen. I too am a healthy, thin male in my mid 20s.About 3 weeks later I went back to the doctor, did another x-ray and they say it has re-expanded, however 1 month on I still get pain in both lungs. I find this pain for me seems to be brought on by stress, though until the lung collapsed like everyone I got stressed but never felt this pain in my lungs. When the lung collapsed it was a pretty stressful time in my life - yet stress is never even thought of as a possible cause in anything you read about collapsed lungs...Everything you read on the internet seems to suggest your back to normal in a week or two but that does not seem to be the case. Anykind of activity where your breathing faster or your heart beats faster seems to want to provoke the lung to collapse again, because of this mentally it takes more then a simple week or two to be "back to normal". Its safe to say anytime one of your major organs fails its unlikely your "back to normal" a week later, its a joke (and almost an insult) that the literature published about this condition even suggests this! Everyone has an idea of what condition your body is in so for me being an active, healthly person, I know that if I jumped into the level of activity I had 2 months ago I'd probably be straight back in hospital. From my personal experience so far (4 weeks on) and from someone who wants to forget about it, feel no pain and resume the same life I had 2 months ago, I can tell you mentally and physically I need more time.
  • I have just got out of hospital after a spontaneous pneumo thorax. I like others don'f fit the typical image. I am 40 years old and gave up smoking 10 years ago. I have lost 30kg of weight in the past two years and have been going to the gym. While in hospital I had three chest drains two fell out. It seemed to fully inflate only to slowly deflate again. I went in for an xray after 3 months of shortness of breathe and chest pain. My doctor said there wasn't anything wrong. They rushed me from xray to a and e and inserted a drain as my lung had fully collapsed and had probably been like that for months.I am going for another xray tomorrow so my fingers are crossed. It was great to read others experiences. Thanks
  • I had a pain in my chest about 4 days ago and i finally went to the doctor and has an x-ray. Hazar my left lung had partially collapsed. He said because it with <30% collapsed it should re inflate on its own. I'm really worried however that it will collapse more and ill have to go to hospital. Worse again i start work again tomorrow, i just hope everything will be ok
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 27, 2009
    • 08:58 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement