Discussions By Condition: Allergies

Non-stop itching, no rash

Posted In: Allergies 340 Replies
  • Posted By: 2silverwings
  • October 29, 2006
  • 07:24 PM

I have never itched this bad in my life - My skin, everywhere, is unbelievably itchy. But there is no visible rash, my skin is dry but not out of the ordinary, and I have no idea what it's from. I've thought that it might be dairy making me feel this way but then I'll cut out dairy and it doesn't go away fully. Any ideas? Solutions? I use scent-free moisturizing lotion but it's not helping.

Reply Flag this Discussion
  • Already gluten-free I'm assuming from your sig? Make sure to limit the amount of iodine in your diet, and make sure your soap, shampoo, conditioner, lotions and other skin treatments are gluten-free too.Since I stopped eating gluten (9 months ago) my itching has gotten significantly better but I'm still looking for ways to make it go away forever.
    Azaral 152 Replies
    • November 7, 2006
    • 07:29 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have been itching too lately. Everywhere and no rashes. It just started about two weeks ago. I have not changed medication or my eating habbits. So I can not see the things I have been eating are doing this. I have never itched like this before. Any clues? chammer @ kaycee.net
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 31, 2006
    • 10:58 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have had the same problem now for about two months. Extreme itching with no rash or redmess (until after I scratch it. ) After I scratch it sometimes there is a rash but not usually. I had not changed anything in my diet, soaps, lotions, etc. I thought it might be dry skin, since it was winter, although it did not seem like my skin was dry. I tried about a dozen types of lotions for that, but nothing worked. I take benadryl at night, so I can sleep, but it doesn't always work. The itch seems much worse at night. I have tried different combinations of foods in case my body has changed and I am now allergic to something. Nothing seems to work. it is driving me crazy! Doctor said I must be allergic to something, so i switched to fragrance/color free soaps, laudry detergent. Still no relief. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know. What homeopathic medicines worked for people? Thanks for any help anyone can offer!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 6, 2007
    • 06:23 AM
    Flag this Response
  • That happened to me too! I linked it to non steroidal pain killers. But the docs thought I needed a shrink. They can be so ignorant.Detox, detox, detox.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 6, 2007
    • 09:41 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I had this last year and it turned out to be scabies. I had never heard of it but once I treated it I felt normal again. Good luck.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 14, 2007
    • 00:25 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Itching is a sign of poor circulation or kidney failure also
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 20, 2007
    • 09:25 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Same problem here. I started itching about 3 weeks ago. It started on my fore-arms at first and moved from there, but never any rash. Eventually, everything was itching, scalp, face, even the palms of my hands. The itching seemed to be worse in areas that I sweat, but I still had some sort of itch in all areas. The only relief I could find was anything cool to the touch. I started taking Benadryl but it was useless. After 3 nights of no sleep, I went to see a doctor who didn't know what it was but prescribed a stronger antihistamine (Hydroxyzine). I was to take this every 6 hours. It did not help the itching whatsoever but did make me very tired. Unfortunately my tiredness could not counteract the extreme itching and 2 sleepless nights later I found myself back at a different doctor. This doctor said she believed it to be some sort of allergy and prescribed a steroid (Prednisone) in high doses, at first, and then slowly tapering off to nothing. Finally, the itch slowly went away and I was able to get some rest. My skin had become very irritated from the itch about 4 days after it first started. Red open sores developed, most likely from the irritation. During the itch-free period after the steroid treatment, the sores began to heal. Sadly, about a week after the last steroid treatment, my arms and more specifically arm pits began to itch again. Although not as intense and relatively localized, I was still concerned of it spreading. It since has spread to my chest and at times my legs. The itch seems different now. Not nearly as bad as the first time but still incredibly annoying. I am now going to see an allergist this coming Tuesday to be allergy tested. I'm hopeful that this is just an allergy and it can be corrected. If nothing is discovered, I suppose my next step will be to start getting some blood work done or have some doctors look at the condition of my immune system, liver, kidneys. There are some seriously scary diseases that can cause itching. I happened to be within the age range for some of them. Good luck everyone.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 26, 2007
    • 08:58 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I Am The Same Way. My Doctor Decided That It Was My Nerves. I Have Been Itching For 4 Months. It Seems To Get The Worse At Night. It Is So Ironic, Since Hearing About The Liver And The Kidney Problems, That My Itching Started After I Had My Right Ovary Removed.( 4 Months Ago). Nothing That The Dr Has Described Me As Cured It. I Don't Know What To Do, But I Know That It Is Very Irritating.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 10, 2007
    • 02:49 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Itching has many causes, some relatively short lived and benign, like itching from contact with poison ivy, and some more serious, such as as cancer or liver disease. If you have any itching conditions you should always have them evaluated by a doctor. Itching may be caused by a variety of conditions including:Fungal infections, such as vaginal infections and athlete's foot Candiasis / other types of yeast overgrowth Mold allergiesVitamin A over loadPregnancy - thought to be due to excess estrogen levels Chemical irritation Plant irritations like poison ivy and poison oak Dust and pollen allergiesJust about every known disease of the liver The one common link in many of the conditions that cause itching is that a significant number all seem to relate to functions of the liver. In fact, prolonged itching of the skin is a major sign of liver disease. Among its many functions, the liver is responsible for:Cleansing the body of toxic substances, parasites, fungi, yeast, mold and other unwanted microscopic life forms Detoxifying and eliminating chemicals, poisons and other toxins Metabolizing estrogen Controlling blood sugar Storage of nutrients, including vitamin A I suspect most itching from liver disease is actually not due to the disease itself but by irritants on the skin that the liver normally takes care of but can't handle in a weakened state. Chemicals, toxins, fungus, parasites, and other substances may not bother most people because their livers dispose of them. I think people with a lot of itching problems and also those with highly sensitive skin "feel" things more because their livers can't handle the routine assaults form the outside world that most people with well functioning livers don't even notice. One other reason for itchy skin from poor liver function is that when the liver is unable to properly neutralize chemicals, toxins and parasites in the body, a back up method of elimination is that the body may then try to get rid of these undesirable substances through the skin. This can result in itchy rashes and brown spots on the outside of the skin as the foreign substances are pushed out through the outer skin layers. A lot of people think allergies and chemical sensitivities are something you are born with and are unable to control. I know from my personal experience and that of members of my family that many allergies and itchy skin conditions are actually controllable with diet, especially diets that help support the liver. In my family we have successfully used diet changes and environment modification to eliminate or reduce mold allergies, pollen allergies, latex allergies and chemical sensitivities. In terms of chemical reactions, if you are sensitive to caffeine, part of the problem may be that your liver is unable to metabolize the caffeine properly, so it effects you more than other people by staying in your system longer. For caffeine sensitive people even one cup of coffee in the morning may be enough to interfere with sleep later on at night because the caffeine is still in your system, instead of being eliminated from your system by the liver like it is most people. (See my page on insomnia treatments for more on this topic.)The good news is that the liver is one organ that can actually regenerate itself. So if you can reduce the number of assaults on the liver from the outside world and provide the proper nutrients to help support the liver from the inside, you may be able to improve the functioning of your liver, reduce your itching and clear up some of your allergies in the process.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 10, 2007
    • 05:42 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have never itched this bad in my life - My skin, everywhere, is unbelievably itchy. But there is no visible rash, my skin is dry but not out of the ordinary, and I have no idea what it's from. I've thought that it might be dairy making me feel this way but then I'll cut out dairy and it doesn't go away fully. Any ideas? Solutions? I use scent-free moisturizing lotion but it's not helping.My was cured when I "completely" removed wheat from my diet, it is hard but worth it. If I even eat 1 piece of bread with wheat the itch is back. Try it, you will not be disappointed.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 10, 2007
    • 08:15 PM
    Flag this Response
  • After having the same itchy problems (might have been from a de-tox program I started about a week before the itchies), I remembered I had some Aveeno Bath Treatment (colloidal oatmeal). You are supposed to bathe 2x/day in the oatmeal "mush". It feels great and is the only relief I've found. Made by Rydelle Labs in racine, WI (no, I'm not a paid sponsor!) Best wishes!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 28, 2007
    • 11:38 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• Ok, at least I know I'm not psychotic. I have had the SAME problem for about 2 weeks now. No rash, no physical manifestation, just intense itching. Started on my arms, then torso, then breasts, then thighs, then back. Yesterday during an imporant meeting, my face began to itch horribly. Yes my ears, my cheeks, neck, nose, eyelids and even tongue started itching like crazy. I'm about to go to the dr. to make sure this isnt' more serious than i'm thinking it is. I just hope it goes away, but it's driving me nuts.AHHHHH!!!!!!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • scabies? itching can make ya' nuts!!! 'script lotion from Dr.
  • I started an all over body itch that coincided with coming down with the stomach flu and a script refill. I checked out the refill, and it's the same med, the same dosage, and the same manufacturer so that can't be it? I started itching while I had chills/sweats/chills/sweats with the flu and the itch won't stop! It's been 3 days.Any clues??? I don't want to go to the Dr only to tell me it's all in my head and go home and take Benedryl.
  • I have dry scaly red itchy skin adn I went to a auryvedic Dr. (Indian medicine 5,000 years old like chinese medicine) and she said I had parasites and put me on a sugar free carb free diet. other sympotms were headaches and bloating in the stomach. I went through a cleanse adn I was cleared up off all itchy in 5 dyas. The diet was about 2 weeks and than teas, herbs and enemas got rid of the parasites. I pooped out 8 worms that were at least 6 inches long. I imagine there were more biut those were the ones I "caught"I was good for a few weeks and then my back wen out and I took some pain killers and muscle relaxanmts and the toxins or chemilcals from those drugs just depleted my already tired liver adn the rash is back. so I am now a bit lost but had a few eeks of relief. good luck I know how horrible it is. I hav ebeen doing milk baths. Put in a gallon of milk with a luke wram tub and soak for a long time. It helps tons!!so does elimintaing sugary foods ... parasites like sugar.good lcuk
  • over the past week i have started having an all over itch it started by what looks like bites but i only have a random few an im itchy all over even inside my ears an nose.ive had flu like symptoms and started to get cramps in my feet constantly im only 20 an i would say im pretty healthy ive not changed my diet in years or my shampoo ect.ive been to the doctor but he gave me cream for scabbies which he said i didnt have an cream for crabs an nitts which i know i dont have!
  • My 11 year old son has been itching for 6 months now we've been to 10 doctors so far 2 emergency rooms 3 liver scans and and a MRI mutliple blood work ups he's been on home instruction for 5 months now because he can't sleep the itching keeps him awake. and no one can find the cause exect to send him to another dr. Now they think it's OCD related and he's on his way to a Pshychiatrist.. but I still need a diagnosis to pursue this.
  • My daughter (24 yrs old) had intense itching last fall (in michigan) all over her body. NOTHING helped the itching. No amount of any cream or drug helped. She had a swollen lymph node on the right side of her neck that spread and got bigger (the area of swollen nodes). After researching symptoms of blood disorders, I figured out she had Lymphoma, but we needed a biopsy to figure out exactly which type she had. There are roughly 70,000 people diagnosed with either Hodgkins or Non-hodgkins lymphoma every year in the USA. My daughter had Hodgkins and is currently on six months of chemotherapy (combined) for her cancer. Basically, if you have a blood disease or a lymph cancer, antigens are released from the infected cells which causes intense itching. If you have swollen lymph nodes (often they start in the side of the neck), groin or underarms, and mediastinal tumors, SEE A DOCTOR FOR A BIOPSY. the earlier you catch lymphoma cancer the easier it is to cure. OTHER SYMPTOMS include: night sweats, fatigue, anemia, shortness of breath, a feeling of general ill health (malaise), itching, hair falling out, dry skin and an increase in white blood cells, ENLARGED LYMPH NODES. DO NOT let your doctor try to tell you to take antibiotics and "see if it goes away in a couple weeks." The sooner you catch it the better your prognosis. I hope this helped some of you. My daughter is in remission, but has 2.5 months of horrible chemotherapy to finish up.
  • I have had the same problem now for about two months. Extreme itching with no rash or redmess (until after I scratch it. ) After I scratch it sometimes there is a rash but not usually. I had not changed anything in my diet, soaps, lotions, etc. I thought it might be dry skin, since it was winter, although it did not seem like my skin was dry. I tried about a dozen types of lotions for that, but nothing worked. I take benadryl at night, so I can sleep, but it doesn't always work. The itch seems much worse at night. I have tried different combinations of foods in case my body has changed and I am now allergic to something. Nothing seems to work. it is driving me crazy! Doctor said I must be allergic to something, so i switched to fragrance/color free soaps, laudry detergent. Still no relief. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know. What homeopathic medicines worked for people? Thanks for any help anyone can offer!OMG - what you have described is exactly what I have been going through for at least a year. I never thought of trying a gluten-free diet - I wonder if this will help? I too take Benedryl almost every night because I can't take the itching.
  • I'm itching like mad.. this last week. I'm wondering whether its chlorine from the swimming pool I go to twice a week. I try to shower thoroughly but its still there. It goes from my nose to other parts of my body, and feels like my skin is just super sensitve and tickly. Its driving me mad.
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement