Discussions By Condition: Medical Errors

Pregnancy Symptom after Nuvaring

Posted In: Medical Errors 277 Replies
  • Posted By: stac22ey
  • October 29, 2006
  • 01:26 PM

Last month after I stopped using the Nuva Ring, I had the most incredible pregnancy symptoms. (nipples swelled and sensitive, extreems tiredness, peeing constantly, and one spot of pink blood which I could only explain as implantation bleeding). My body has never had such symptoms, even after comming down from the pill and the patch. I still am experiencing the nipple systems even after my first perfectly timmed period. This however is not a documented symptom. I only found two other women online who have experienced the same exact symptoms after comming off of nuvaring. They were saying that it may last for months for me.

http://www.aphroditewomenshealth.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=7;t=001485;p=0

Good luck for those women looking for answers!

Reply Flag this Discussion
  • I'm so glad I came across your posting. I just went off the Nuvaring last month and I have the same symptoms you do. Sore/painful nipples, cramping, really light bleeding. I was excited because I thought I might be pregnant, but hpt came back negative. I'm really disappointed. I wish they would list the possible symptoms from stopping using the ring in the information pamphlet that comes with your prescription.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 30, 2008
    • 04:37 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I took the ring out on Jan 1, 2008 and I had the exact same thing. Thought I was pregnant. I had spotting for a week before I got my period, plus my nipples were sore. Got my period and the month after I got pregnant! I hear all different stories of how long it can take, but it seems it's just different for everyone. I do think that first month after though, that your body is just going crazy adjusting a little bit.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I stopped using nuvaring straight after my last period, basically i just didn't put a new one in. On the fifth day after removing the ring, but after my period had ended, I began to get very very sore nipples and felt very lethargic and dizzy during the day. The nipples felt so different, swollen and tender to touch unlike any pain I've experienced in my breasts. The next night I had really strong pain in my lower abdomen which went away quickly after taking nurafen tablets. I never get bad period cramping and especially not when I don't have my period such as on this occasion. Over the next few days I had subtle cramping. I think, perhaps, I was ovulating for the first time in many months and perhaps that caused the pain (look up ovulation pain on google). However, I didn't get the thickened (raw egg white like) secretions that are usually experienced during ovulation (without hormonal contraceptives). My boyfriend is worried I'm pregnant but we have been using condoms safely and I think the risk is low. We didn't have sex during the menstral period i had immediately before discontinuing ring so I think the chances are very slim.I think there is now a frequent reporting of these post nuvaring symptoms coming across in forums so to anyone experiencing them now, you aren't alone. I agree that Nuvaring should put info regarding post ring removal symptoms in the info booklet.Here's hoping my next period will set my body straight.If anyone is interested, I think nuvaring is the best hormonal contraceptive i have ever used. The reason I stopped using nuvaring was because I was experiencing irritation (thrush like itching frequently which doesn't exactly lead to sex!) and loss of libido (which leads to even less sex- I get lowered libido from all hormonal contraceptives I've used). So if you are thinking of trying Nuvaring remember that everyone's body reacts somewhat differently and what some people experience might not happen to you. Frankly, I'm sick of all hormonal contraceptives as they all seem to screw my body up somehow while I'm using them. I'm happy with condoms, convincing my boyfriend is another matter. All the best to those seeking answers to our bodies' bizarreness!
  • I got off the nuvaring las month and still haven't gotten a period. Today would have to be the day that I had do put in a new ring (if I had continued). Should I expect to be pregnant, or does getting of the ring make your period be irregular?
  • I have been on nuva ring for just over 2yrs. I am having the exact same thing. I got off the ring last month too, and now I should be on my period. I should put in my ring tommorrow(sun) but of course, I am not because have discontinued it. I had planned on starting a new BC but I am going to test first. Do you think it is normal to have problems with your cycle after discontinuing the ring? I will chime back in after I take the test tom. I think that all this changing is making my body go crazy.
  • Well I had been on nuvaring for about 6 months I would say, and with nuvaring and all the other BC's I had tried before I always had the same reaction - my nippples also sore to the most soft touch and my breast always sore as well just by taking off my bra my breast would hurt!! so I got off it about a month and a half ago and I got my period exactly 3 weeks later (the sunday I should have taken it out to get my period that week) and it lasted 5 days as usual and today I just got my period again and its been 2 weeks since the last time my period ended? and my boobs all around still feel sore!! Do you think this is normal since I stopped the BC? let me know please -Thanks!
  • I recently stopped Nuva Ring after being on it for a year. I was two weeks late with my first period after stopping and had pregnancy symptoms (increased smell, cramping, sore nipples, change in odor) but a negative hpt. I am now getting close to my second period (hopefully its more on time this go round) and my nipples are even worse than they were before but the other symptoms have gone away. I'm hoping next month will be more like how it was before starting the ring. Nuva Ring is the best bc i've been on but beware of coming off of it!
  • For some unknown reason, I started my period EARLY while on the NuvaRing (I've been on it 8+ months). I have no reason to believe I missed or had a late insert prior to the early period. However, the period started on a Tue/Wed so I took it out and had several days before I reinserted on Sunday. I wasn't worried about it at the time because I wasn't sexually active, but of course life happens and I had unplanned, unprotected sex-with-the-ex that Friday before reinsertion. Of course, it's too early for a pregnancy test. However, my breasts and nipples are so unbelievably sore, I've had 1 afternoon of spotting (I'm 30 and have never had spotting before), weird food cravings and not being able to eat something I would normally eat. I recognize that coming off NuvaRing would cause the symptoms I'm experiencing based on previous posts. However, I still have the ring in and I'm STILL having the symptoms. And I'm really tired of my boobs hurting. :(Here's my question...of course, it's Sunday and no Dr. available. I still have a week before I'm supposed to take out the ring. However, if I'm pregnant and I keep the ring in, what damage would I be doing to the baby, or would I be increasing the chance of miscarriage? I am really anxious to find out if I'm pregnant. It wouldn't be the right time, but really it never is! Anyone who has ANY input, I would really appreciate hearing it. Again, I won't know anything for sure until next NEXT week (after I would have started my period on my "normal" cycle) and I feel really alone in this. :(
  • I just went off the Nuvaring 3 weeks ago and I think aliens have taken over my body. My skin is oily, I have increased hunger and my nipples are very sensitive/painfull. How long does this last?
  • I seem to be having many issues since stopping use of Nuvaring (and quit because of issues that may have been related to the ring)... I had used the Nuvaring since about January 2004 until October 2007 (almost four years). In August 2007, right after my period and right after putting in a new ring I experienced extremely painful abdominal pain. The pain seemed to be focused around the area of my left ovary (but low in my pelvis) and was the worst pain I have EVER had. It started out early in the evening feeling like a menstrual cramp for a few hours and the pain severely increased throughout the night with sharp stabs of pain (so much so that I couldn't bear it and I usually have a high tolerance of pain -- I was hunched over and crying), overall lasting about 7 or 8 hours. When I finally decided to go to the ER, the pain suddenly quit so I opted not to go.I did speak with my mother, a nurse practitioner, that night. She thought it could have been a kidney stone or an ovarian cyst, but neither totally fit the bill. I didn't have any painful urination nor did I have any tightness in my uterus afterwards. Plus, ovarian cysts usually only occur with ovulation and I shouldn't have been ovulating with the Nuvaring. Also, the area was a strange location for a stone. Unfortunately, I didn't have health insurance at the time so I didn't follow up with an exam. (I did have a pelvic exam in June 2007 and everything was normal). Life returned to normal until around the end of October 2007 when I suddenly got bad lower back pain. When I would bend over even slightly, sharp pain would shoot down my sciatic nerves (from my back down the backs of my legs). I experienced the worse of it at night when trying to sleep since it hurt to lie down in any position. The pain, fortunately, only lasted about two days and went away quickly so I didn't think much of it until later that same week I got the same abdominal pain again that I had in August (also lasting several hours throughout evening and night). The back pain had occurred shortly after putting in a new ring and the abdominal pain happened almost a week after the new ring this time. I visited a doctor two days following the abdominal pain (had health insurance this time). He didn't have any answers for me. He didn't think the pain was from cysts since I shouldn't have been ovulating and if I had been, I shouldn't have been ovulating so early after my period. He didn't think they were stones either. It wasn't likely that I had endometriosis or fibroids. Unfortunately, he opted not to do a pelvic since I had one in June and only did a pregnancy test (negative) and a urine culture (didn't find anything). ((The doctor was also quite rude...but whatever...))So, my husband then convinced me to stop using the Nuvaring thinking that any additional hormones might be hurting/interfering with my health. We both thought it would be best to get on a natural cycle and be hormone free for a change. I took out the Nuvaring almost immediately following the second abdominal episode in October. I started bleeding then even though I had just had my period that week before (but that can be normal). That lasted for a few days.Since then, I have been extremely irregular. I didn't get another period until the end of December 2007, but figured my body was still adjusting. My next didn't come until the end of February (about 53 days later). Again in March (34 days later). I spotted a little on April 2nd and haven't had anything since then (it's now June 12th -- 70 days later). These last three weeks or so, I had really questioned whether or not I am pregnant. I haven't been feeling well (have been bloated and nauseous almost daily, light-headed at times and had some cramping but no bleeding), though don't have tender breasts or have had to pee more or anything else that would have indicated pregnancy. I have taken three pregnancy tests - all negative. I've concluded that I'm not (have been very careful with sex too since we're not trying to conceive yet), but I feel very distraught about everything. I had hoped that I would have been back on some kind of track almost 8 months after discontinuing use of Nuvaring. I really can't say if any of this is related to Nuvaring, but I thought I'd share my problems in case someone had experienced similar issues (which seems that some women might have). I am due for another pelvic and will be getting one very soon. I am anxious to talk with a medical professional about everything and couldn't sleep tonight worrying about my lack of a period (so here I am). I will add that otherwise, I am a very healthy 26-year-old. I eat well and though I could use more exercise, am far from being overweight. I do not smoke and only drink socially. I do not take any medication (with an exception of allergy medicine occasionally). So what's the deal??
  • For some unknown reason, I started my period EARLY while on the NuvaRing (I've been on it 8+ months). I have no reason to believe I missed or had a late insert prior to the early period. However, the period started on a Tue/Wed so I took it out and had several days before I reinserted on Sunday. I wasn't worried about it at the time because I wasn't sexually active, but of course life happens and I had unplanned, unprotected sex-with-the-ex that Friday before reinsertion. Of course, it's too early for a pregnancy test. However, my breasts and nipples are so unbelievably sore, I've had 1 afternoon of spotting (I'm 30 and have never had spotting before), weird food cravings and not being able to eat something I would normally eat. I recognize that coming off NuvaRing would cause the symptoms I'm experiencing based on previous posts. However, I still have the ring in and I'm STILL having the symptoms. And I'm really tired of my boobs hurting. :(Here's my question...of course, it's Sunday and no Dr. available. I still have a week before I'm supposed to take out the ring. However, if I'm pregnant and I keep the ring in, what damage would I be doing to the baby, or would I be increasing the chance of miscarriage? I am really anxious to find out if I'm pregnant. It wouldn't be the right time, but really it never is! Anyone who has ANY input, I would really appreciate hearing it. Again, I won't know anything for sure until next NEXT week (after I would have started my period on my "normal" cycle) and I feel really alone in this. :(Heck, I think I'd take the ring out ASAP just in case! I don't know what kind of impact it would have on the fetus this early on if you were pregnant, but personally I wouldn't want to risk anything. I would get a home pregnancy test (at least) right away - many can detect the pregnancy hormone early, a few days before your expected period. Also, if you find out you're not pregnant, then you can just put the ring back in (but make sure to use condoms or be REALLY careful for that following week afterwards) and you'll be protected again. Best wishes!
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• Hello girls,It's nice to hear that I'm not the only one experiencing this problem.. Well, must say that Nuvaring has been a GREAT product but they really do need to tell their users what will happen when they stop using this product. I stoppede using it for 2 months ago. When I took the ring out I got my period and last month I got my period as well (I thought everything was normal) ...but NOT!I should have had my period for 4 days ago, but all there is happening is that I am having cramps, pain in my breasts, dizzyness, feeling sick, pain down beneath and pain in my back..all the symptoms which a pregnant woman has... I was in doubt that maybe I'm pregnant, but reading your girls experiences has me not feel lonely....
  • 6-25-08AHH! I'm going through the EXACT same thing right now! I was on the Nuvaring for just over 3 years and stopped On May 21, 2008. My husband and I ttc this month hoping for a March baby and to our surprize I had all the telltale signs and symptoms. Crampy, sensitive nipples that turned in to sore breats and pop-can-top sized nipples, nausea, dizzyness, oily skin, moody, etc. I took a blood test this week and to our surprize it was completely negative. I'm so MAD! Now I'm 3 days late and wondered if the test was wrong. I would like to resume my coffee drinking, a glass a wine on Fridays habits that I recently gave up for Folic Acid, saltine crackers, lots of water and pre-natal vitamins, but I'm not sure if I should. I'm really glad to find others with all of the same things I'm going through right now.
    erinlynn 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • I was given nuvaring because of the low dosage of homones. I had used BC in the past and it really turned me into an ugly person. So I never used it again, till now, My GYN told me oh, it wont do anything to you, its a very low dose so you should be fine. Well the firts ouple of days was fine but then I kepp spotting. Almost everyday for 2 weeks. I got fed up and took it out. The next day I got my period, which I expected but this period was the worst on I had ever had. Severe cramps in the pelvic area. I called the Dr, and could not get him for a couple of days, then I finally got him and he told me that it doesnt sound like its the nuvaring, but I really was in alot of pain so he sent me to get a intervirginal test and a regular sonogram. They found a lemon sized fibroid tumor behind my uterus, but he says that its pretty normal and that, thats not the cause of my severe pain. So the next day I see him and he exams me and finds I have an infection in my uterus because it was very sensative during the exam. He prescribes 2 antibiotics, so for now this is where I'm at. I will repost after I get all my results form the cultures and a second opinion on the lemon sized fibriod tumors. I just wanted to post so anyone who uses the nuvaring knows that there are some side effects that doctors are not really paying attention too.
  • I am so glad the I found this link! I've been searching for weeks! I'm a week late for my period and I know I am not pregnant, because unfortunately my husband and I haven't been intimate is months due to 1) a terrible itchy/irritation I developed in the peri-anal region and along the labia area and 2) reduced libido. I had been using the nuvaring for 3 years. I, within the past year began developing terrible menstral migraines.Earlier this month my GYN removed me from the nuvaring because she felt all the symptoms I'd been experiencing were hormonal. Well, needless to say . . . My period was due last week. I have nothing to show for it but terrible abdominal bloating. Thanks Nuvaring!
  • Wow i stopped the nuvering on May 21 2008 also. i had my period 3 days later for the normal 5 days, then i didnt have another until 43 later!!! during the 43 days i had sore boobs for 3 weeks to the point i didnt even want anyone in my space in fear they might bump into me,ouch. i didnt have any other signs of pregnancy though we were TTC. i was negative on 2 tests. i have been charting my BBT and that thing is all over the place. i havent made any big temp rises since i started that on june 29th. i am just here in limbo wondering when i should start my next period. i dont think we concieved this month, after alot of practicing, ha. well i feel you girl. i just want to get on a regular cycle and i have no control of it yet...ahhh.
  • I am so glad I found this, and agree that Nuva Ring needs to put post removal symptoms somewhere. I have been on the Nuva Ring since Jan.2005. I stopped the ring at the end of my last cycle, since my husband and I are ttc. I took the ring out at the end of my cycle on 7/13 and got my period on 7/16 as planned. This lasted one day less than normal.For the past few days, 3 weeks after removal, I have had extremely sore nipples and off and on aching/cramping. I have headaches and am tired throughout the day. The sore nipples have never happened to me before, and so I was curious as to if that were a pregnancy sign, or what... it seems like this is normal for people once they come off the nuva ring. I also have many other signs of early pregnancy, but so have others who have come off the ring... I am hoping that since the sore nipples started 3 weeks after removal of the ring, that maybe its a sign of early pregnancy, since it didnt happen right after removal? I dont want to get my hopes up here... Anyhow, i will keep posting any changes. Due for period on 8/13. Hopefully my cycle will regulate and I wont be waiting months to get it!!!
  • Thank god for this site. I have been silently freaking out. I took out my Nuva ring on July 6th and started on the 9th. I have been experiencing aroused/sore nipples for weeks now. I thought I could've been pregnant. I have kept quite, so I don't alarm my boyfriend. Tomorrow, Aug 6, will be 31 days from my last period. After reading the blog, I now know what to expect. I thank all of you for your postings and the one who originally started this thread. I will post again when I finally start.
  • wow ! so many people have the same symptoms! I have been on the nuva ring for 4 years. My husband and I are ttc, so last month I took my nuva ring off on 6/29 sun. and started 7/3 wed. and had a regular cylce. It is 8/8 and has almost been 38 days! still no period! Took some pregnancy tests and all came out positive, I have been feeling nauseus, and extremely tired and my nipples are also sore! Thinkin about going to the doctor next week to get a blood test! keep you posted! Is anyone prego yet?
  • I am so glad I found this, and agree that Nuva Ring needs to put post removal symptoms somewhere. I have been on the Nuva Ring since Jan.2005. I stopped the ring at the end of my last cycle, since my husband and I are ttc. I took the ring out at the end of my cycle on 7/13 and got my period on 7/16 as planned. This lasted one day less than normal.For the past few days, 3 weeks after removal, I have had extremely sore nipples and off and on aching/cramping. I have headaches and am tired throughout the day. The sore nipples have never happened to me before, and so I was curious as to if that were a pregnancy sign, or what... it seems like this is normal for people once they come off the nuva ring. I also have many other signs of early pregnancy, but so have others who have come off the ring... I am hoping that since the sore nipples started 3 weeks after removal of the ring, that maybe its a sign of early pregnancy, since it didnt happen right after removal? I dont want to get my hopes up here... Anyhow, i will keep posting any changes. Due for period on 8/13. Hopefully my cycle will regulate and I wont be waiting months to get it!!!UPDATE: Well I am the same boat as everyone else. Your cycle is off after getting your last regular period with the nuva ring. I should have gotten it yesterday and its still not here. Not any signs, and a negative prego test. The only good thing is that my symptoms after stopping ti went away last week finally. So, now my cycle is off like everyone else and who knows when I will get it and when I will ovulate?! I will keep you posted.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 14, 2008
    • 06:10 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement