Discussions By Condition: Eye conditions

Rebound Hyperemia

Posted In: Eye conditions 12 Replies
  • Posted By: bryan9182
  • September 16, 2008
  • 02:59 AM

A few years ago I was out at a party in front of a camp fire for several hours and noticed my eyes became bloodshot. I went inside and dropped some visine in, then went back out. Came back in an hour later to see that my eyes were red again, so I dropped more visine in. This cycle repeated about 3-4 times that night. The next day, I woke up with red eyes again, so I dropped more visine in. At the time I did not know about rebound redness and well.........this is where I am now.

To this day I have been addicted to Vasoconstricter eye drops. Visine, Clear Eyes, Opcon-A....you name it. I've used them all for a couple years. It's the only way my eyes arent bloodshot. About 1 month ago I quit them cold turkey, hoping my eyes could heal. Unfortunately, my eyes have not gotten much better. They are still red everyday and still become worse when I am present to certain things (computers, wind, air conditioning, bright lights.) etc

I am really concerned that there might not be any cure for this. I am going to see an eye doctor soon, but I am afraid hes going to tell me theres nothing he can do for me, and I am going to look like this forever. Has anyone ever heard of a story like this.......and do you know if there is indeed a cure?

Reply Flag this Discussion

12 Replies:

• Also, when I wake up in the morning I sometimes feel like I have sand in my eyes. My eyes are very dry and red when I wake up in the morning and I can hardly hold them open until I use Refresh lubricant drops. This is the only time where I feel the lubricant eye drops actually work for me. I use them all the time when my eyes start to burn and get red from wind and air conditioning, but they seem to have no affect when I do that.
    bryan9182 2 Replies
    • September 16, 2008
    • 03:02 PM
    Flag this Response
  • There is already a long posting on this topic, your not the only one,http://forums.wrongdiagnosis.com/showthread.php?t=817&page=75
    Wallabee01 2 Replies
    • October 8, 2008
    • 01:41 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hello, I'm a producer at "The Doctors," nationally syndicated daytime tv show. www.thedoctorstv.com. Please e-mail me when you receive this. I'm doing research on hyperemia. tvshow214@yahoo.com. Thanks and I hope you're feeling better!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 27, 2009
    • 07:10 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I suffer from the exact same condition. I am addicted to Napchon-A eye drops, i hate using it but if i don't my eyes are just totally bloodshot and as a result i lose self confidence and begin to withdraw because i hate having red eyes especially when people have to look at me and they think there's something seriously wrong with me, when really im just the normal human being besides the fact that i cant seem to get rid of my red eyes that ive had problems with for over 10 years now. ive tried so many eye drops under the advice of many doctors. Ive had a steroid type drop which is really bad for you and it made my eye worse i know have a huge lump growing on my eyeball. something like a teregium. AWWWWWWK i dont know what to do i feel like ive been everywhere i can go and am now dry out of options..do i have to live the rest of my life as a permanent red eyed human? This saddens me deeply.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 16, 2009
    • 00:38 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I suffer from the exact same condition. I am addicted to Napchon-A eye drops, i hate using it but if i don't my eyes are just totally bloodshot and as a result i lose self confidence and begin to withdraw because i hate having red eyes especially when people have to look at me and they think there's something seriously wrong with me, when really im just the normal human being besides the fact that i cant seem to get rid of my red eyes that ive had problems with for over 10 years now. ive tried so many eye drops under the advice of many doctors. Ive had a steroid type drop which is really bad for you and it made my eye worse i know have a huge lump growing on my eyeball. something like a teregium. AWWWWWWK i dont know what to do i feel like ive been everywhere i can go and am now dry out of options..do i have to live the rest of my life as a permanent red eyed human? This saddens me deeply.I have the same sad problem and have had it for over 18 years! I've seen several doctors but none have been able to help me. Everyday I'm robbed of energy, energy that I spend mentally thinking about and trying to understand this chronic condition. I developed this condition in my mid thirties, I'm now almost mid 50's and everyday I hope that a miracle will happen and I'll wake up with clear bright eyes again.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 19, 2009
    • 05:36 PM
    Flag this Response
  • :mad: :mad: :mad: I feel your pain.... I am 38 years old and I have been using Naphcon A for 20 years now. Usually about 2 times a day sometime 3-4 if I am drinking at a bar or out with friends until the wee hours of the morning. I have done a lot of homework as the two recent posts put it. I have found no cures yet. I have been to numerous eye doctors and all they say is I have allergies which I do. I am going cold turkey tomorrow to see what happens. Throwing away my Naphcon A. The growth on your eye is a trygium... You should have this removed if you can. It can effect your vision if it reches the color part of your eye. I have had three surgeries already to remove the trygium growth. It is caused from not wearing sun glassses, staring at the sun or beach glare. Very common with hispanics. Having red eyes is definitely a cosmetic or social anxiety order as I call. I am in sales and it makes me want to withdrawl from people because my I know my eyes are red. The people I am talking to are probably what is up with this guy. Stoner, been out late partying. Neither of which are true. I gues it is something I have to live with. I feel as if I would be better off blind sometimes. I could wear sunglassess all day long. Red eyes and site is better than being blind. GL to all and I hope one day our eyes will be white again. I pray for the some thing. :)
    Red Eyes 4 Replies
    • September 28, 2009
    • 07:01 PM
    Flag this Response
  • :) :) :) :) I think "God" may have spoken. There is a doctor in Los Angeles that specialzes in a treatment called I-Brite or eye whiting. He invented the procedure and the only doctor who perfoms the procedue in the whole United States. The website is called www.boxerwachler.com or look up I-Brite procedure. They are located in Los Angeles CA which is about 2 hour drive for me but good be out of state for most peolple. I am not a doctor so you will have to read how the procedure is done. It is similar to a trygium surgery which I have had done several times when I was 18-23. The procedure is not cheap, but I would pay anything to have my eyes look white again. Several professional athletes have gone to him for Lasik. so I do not think he is a fly by night eye doctor. GL All
    Red Eyes 4 Replies
    • September 28, 2009
    • 10:24 PM
    Flag this Response
  • :) :) :) :) Hi Everyone, I had the I Brite procedure done almost two weeks ago and I am amazed by the results. My eyes are pretty white today and they have not fully healed according to Dr. Wachler who I saw today. I can not imagine what they are going to look like in 4-6 weeks. Everyone has there own story as to why their eyes are red. I never wore sunglasses when I was growing up around the beach and I developed ptgeriums in both eyes at a young age. I had three surgeries to remove these growths when I was in my early twenties. I am 38 now. I also became dependent on Naphcon A which is a redness relieving eye drop. I just stop using Naphcon A and I will never go back to using eye drops again except for natural tear drops. All eye drops like Naphcon A cause a rebound effect. Your eyes will become redder with continual use. I used Naphcon A eye drops for 18 years because it was hard to deal with my eyes constantly being red. I am not getting paid my Dr. Wachler to write this, I simply hear to tell my story because there are other people who suffer from the same thing or they have similar stories. The only thing I will promote is Dr. Wachler has a gift. The I-Brite procedure literally changed my life. My self-esteem is at an all time high. I can actually look people in the eye and feel comfortable with how my eyes feel and look. I don't have to worry about people making comments about how tired I look or asking if I am drunk or on drugs. I wish I would have found out about this procedure 10 years ago. The procedure is not very painful, but can be uncomfortable at times. I wish everyone the best of luck and hope you find the answers to what you are looking for. I will come back to this website blog area every few days so If anyone has questions, I will be happy to answer them. Thanks, Jamie a.k.a. Red Eyes
    Red Eyes 4 Replies
    • October 30, 2009
    • 00:38 AM
    Flag this Response
  • :) :) :) :) I think "God" may have spoken. There is a doctor in Los Angeles that specialzes in a treatment called I-Brite or eye whiting. He invented the procedure and the only doctor who perfoms the procedue in the whole United States. The website is called www.boxerwachler.com or look up I-Brite procedure. They are located in Los Angeles CA which is about 2 hour drive for me but good be out of state for most peolple. I am not a doctor so you will have to read how the procedure is done. It is similar to a trygium surgery which I have had done several times when I was 18-23. The procedure is not cheap, but I would pay anything to have my eyes look white again. Several professional athletes have gone to him for Lasik. so I do not think he is a fly by night eye doctor. GL AllI checked on this procedure and I think it is like $50,000 an eye. Not in my budget.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 29, 2010
    • 10:22 PM
    Flag this Response
  • The cost of I-Brite is no where near $50,000 an eye....it is around $3,500 to 5,000 an eye depending on previous eye surgeries. They offer interest free options as well. I recently flew across the country to have this procedure, and I would do it again in a heartbeat. Like others on this site, I have used clear eyes for years with no success. The procedure really is simple, and the discomfort after the procedure is minimal. The staff and doctor are amazing. Every day when I wake up my eyes are whiter, and I cannot wait to experience the full effect.
    cleareyes 1 Replies
    • August 31, 2011
    • 04:44 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi! I'm not sure if anyone will ever possible respond to this thread, but if any of the i-brite recipients read this and wouldn't mind giving us an update to their condition years later I would very much appreciate it! Thanks for your time!
    Penitent Pigeon 2 Replies
    • February 21, 2013
    • 02:55 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• The cost of I-Brite is no where near $50,000 an eye....it is around $3,500 to 5,000 an eye depending on previous eye surgeries. They offer interest free options as well. I recently flew across the country to have this procedure, and I would do it again in a heartbeat. Like others on this site, I have used clear eyes for years with no success. The procedure really is simple, and the discomfort after the procedure is minimal. The staff and doctor are amazing. Every day when I wake up my eyes are whiter, and I cannot wait to experience the full effect.Hi! (Sorry if there is a double post) By chance if anyone stumbles across this who has had the i-brite procedure, I would very much appreciate knowing the results say a year+ later! Thanks for your time!
    Penitent Pigeon 2 Replies
    • February 21, 2013
    • 02:58 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement