Discussions By Condition: Medical Stories

Small white bumps on the palm of hands

Posted In: Medical Stories 1 Replies
  • Posted By: Mel0907
  • September 15, 2008
  • 04:51 PM

Hi,

I've been reading several forums, blogs and other posts on the internet for quite some time now and have found very few answers related to the condition that match what I am currently experiencing. I have small white bumps due from a fungal infection (onchomyosis-nail fungus in my case, but bumps can be caused too by athletes foot). Those bumps are exsist on the left and right palm, close to my thumbs, and there are about 15 all together. If popped, they are clear in fluid and dry then peel and crack. Leaving behind "wrinkley looking skin". Then they heal and return again. They will always come back until the fungus has been rid of.

I currently have a fungal infection on both of my big toenails (almost gone-had it since March 08') and now on my left thumb (as of a month ago). Ever since I had an ingronw toenail that became infected because I saw the doctor a little too late, I had the ingrown nail removed and developed a fungal infection on the left big toe. I've since been treating it with white vinegar twice a day and it's nearly gone. It would have taken a shorter time than 6 months had I been more diligent with the treatment the first 2 months. My right big toe is half way cleared and new healthy nails are coming in. On my left thumb, it just started about a month ago and now I'm treating it too with white vinegar twice daily. I believe its on my thumb because I did not clean my hands and feet and/or instruments for pedicure as well as I should have so it spread. Do be careful of that. Anyway, just thought I'd comment on my experience with these bumps. Thanks!

Reply Flag this Discussion

1 Replies:

• OverviewDyshidrotic eczema (dyshidrotic dermatitis) is generally defined as an itchy rash limited to the hands (usually the palms and sides of the fingers) and sometimes the feet. Dyshidrotic eczema manifests as small, itchy, fluid-filled blisters. Its cause is unknown. Dyshidrotic eczema often comes and goes, with episodes more common in warm weather. Dyshidrotic eczema may occur in people of all ages but usually occurs after age 10. Signs and SymptomsThe most common location of dyshidrotic eczema is on the hands and, less commonly, the feet.• Small, tense, clear fluid-filled blisters are seen on the surfaces of the palms and soles and the sides of the fingers and toes. • These blisters can appear "deep-seated" (tapioca-like) due to the thickness of the skin on the palms. In severe cases, lesions can merge together and present as large blisters (bullae). • Redness (erythema) is typically mild or absent.Self-Care GuidelinesAvoidance of irritants may be helpful. Handwashing with mild soaps and cleansers and frequent application of thick emollient creams and petroleum jelly may be beneficial.When to Seek Medical CareSeek medical evaluation for a rash on the hands and/or feet that is unresponsive to self-care measures.Treatments Your Provider May PrescribeTo manage dyshidrotic eczema, your physician may recommend soaks with drying agents if many blisters are present, as well as the removal of irritating agents.• Medium- and high-potency topical steroids may be prescribed to be used twice daily. Use of a high-potency topical steroid initially that is tapered as allowed may be most beneficial. • An oral steroid (prednisone) may be necessary, but patients often cannot be tapered off this therapy. • Chronic, severe disease can be treated with a form of light therapy called PUVA (psoralen and ultraviolet A) phototherapy administered by a dermatologist.ReferencesBolognia, Jean L., ed. Dermatology, pp.582. New York: Mosby, 2003.Freedberg, Irwin M., ed. Fitzpatrick's Dermatology in General Medicine. 6th ed, pp.32. New York: McGraw-Hill, 2003.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement