Discussions By Condition: Neck conditions

The Doctors say nothing is wrong! WHY? I hurt!!!!

Posted In: Neck conditions 6 Replies
  • Posted By: hermanmonster
  • September 10, 2008
  • 01:49 PM

I was thrown from a vehicle traveling 75 mph at age 15. I was at a dead sit still and hit from behind by a truck traveling 80 mph at age 19. Just the 2 major accidents I have been in. I have bad aching neck and back problems since the accident in Dec. 2004. I went to a few different doctors and they insist that nothing is wrong. They did MRIs, CTs, X-rays, and some die thing all in 2004 and 2005. I have went to physical therapy and a chiropractor I am still in PAIN it comes and goes but anytime I am active in the least little bit I hurt. A few months ago I was in a little rear ended accident and had been very sore. The soreness went a way after a few weeks as normal. But I few weeks ago I cleaned out my garage and have not been able to look down with out SHARP pain shooting down to my mid back. I decided to go back to the doc. (a different doctor). He did a MRI and CT scan. He told me I had scoliosis and gave me a few pain meds. I am out of pain meds now and back into pain. I can hear a cracking or sizzling (sounds like pop-rocks stuck back there) noise in my neck when I turn from side to side. My question is If the doctor is right I do have scoliosis how come they didn’t find it 8 years ago with they did test in my first accident. I am still in pain. The doctor started me off on Loratab 10 and flexerial 10, then Tramadol 50 mg and trizadine, and now darvocet-n and soma 350mg the only thing that worked was the Loratab and flexerial. I asked him for those again and he does not want me to get addicted to them. I don’t see how I can, if I only take them until he finds out what is wrong with me. My Question is should I continue to go to him? How did they just find out I have scoliosis after 23yrs? Why am I still in pain after 8 years? Is there other help out there? I am only 23 yrs old.

Reply Flag this Discussion

6 Replies:

• i hate to bear bad news but you will probably have some pain after that many injuries. my friend was a competitve dirt bike rider even into the seniors. he had a few accidents but the last one was bad!! one thing that helped him was a device that supported his neck and hung from a door ***b. he could only use it for 10 minutes a day. ive seen them at medical supply stores but you would have to clear it with you doctor first. another surprise is that antideppressants help neck pain. dont ask me how because i dont understand it but after many times of him saying "i wont take those because im not depressed" he finally gave it a try and said it did help.of course it was not a cure. I have heard of a drug that sounds like "backlofen" it is not a narcotic and might be better than soma. keep being assertive and maybe another doc might be a good idea. your doctor should have told you that a lot of back & neck pain do not have visible signs that show on x rays, hence your tests not showing anything. the senior members should have better advice but i didnt want you to feel ignored
    emmarene 34 Replies
    • September 14, 2008
    • 08:07 PM
    Flag this Response
  • The previous post is correct in that some antidepressants have been shown to help with neck pain, particularly Cymbalta. One possibility is that you have joint pain (the joints where the vertebrae meet are called facets--pronounced fuh-sets, not fa-sits--, and you have one on each side between each level, C4-5, C5-6, etc.) Frequently, injecting some local anesthetic and a little steroid into the joints will offer quite a bit of relief. Some physicians, not all, would be willing to do a longer lasting version called RFTC (radio frequency thermo-coagulation). Check out this link, it has a ton of good information on chronic pain. http://www.arizonapain.com/NeckPainW.html
    jenn96rn 14 Replies
    • December 30, 2008
    • 02:10 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I was thrown from a vehicle traveling 75 mph at age 15. I was at a dead sit still and hit from behind by a truck traveling 80 mph at age 19. Just the 2 major accidents I have been in. I have bad aching neck and back problems since the accident in Dec. 2004. I went to a few different doctors and they insist that nothing is wrong. They did MRIs, CTs, X-rays, and some die thing all in 2004 and 2005. I have went to physical therapy and a chiropractor I am still in PAIN it comes and goes but anytime I am active in the least little bit I hurt. A few months ago I was in a little rear ended accident and had been very sore. The soreness went a way after a few weeks as normal. But I few weeks ago I cleaned out my garage and have not been able to look down with out SHARP pain shooting down to my mid back. I decided to go back to the doc. (a different doctor). He did a MRI and CT scan. He told me I had scoliosis and gave me a few pain meds. I am out of pain meds now and back into pain. I can hear a cracking or sizzling (sounds like pop-rocks stuck back there) noise in my neck when I turn from side to side. My question is If the doctor is right I do have scoliosis how come they didn’t find it 8 years ago with they did test in my first accident. I am still in pain. The doctor started me off on Loratab 10 and flexerial 10, then Tramadol 50 mg and trizadine, and now darvocet-n and soma 350mg the only thing that worked was the Loratab and flexerial. I asked him for those again and he does not want me to get addicted to them. I don’t see how I can, if I only take them until he finds out what is wrong with me. My Question is should I continue to go to him? How did they just find out I have scoliosis after 23yrs? Why am I still in pain after 8 years? Is there other help out there? I am only 23 yrs old. Scoliosis isn't caused by vehicle accidents. And it likely isn't the cause of your pain, either. The reason you keep getting no definitive answers is because the Doctors don't know what is wrong. That's why they keep putting you in the Polypharmacy route of treatment. It won't work. The problem, more than likely, is that your deep cervical stabilizers are not functioning. They were injured and inhibited in the initial injury, and have never been "turned back on", so to speak. Exercise, postural re-training, and stabilization exercise is probably your only solution.
    ChrisFloridaPT 29 Replies Flag this Response
  • Pain sucks... I'm 22 and have had 2 traumas, one a car accident resulting in 3 years of treatment for back and neck pain and headaches. Most MRI's only pick up problems 1mm or larger (according to my neuro-optometrist). There are a lot of components packed tightly into the neck area, and even something small that is off can cause a lot of pain and adverse reactions elsewhere in the body. So my questions... Do you have headaches? If so, how do they start and what do they feel like? Do they "wrap" around your head in any particular way? Do you have other symptoms like light or hearing sensitivity with headaches if you get them? Do you have numbness anywhere? (It can be hard to trigger/spot at first - it didn't occur to me that a couple fingers and part of my arm were numb for 2 years, most of it was probably denial). When you touch your neck, does it feel tight and knotted? What makes your pain worse and better? Do you feel like the pain reliever OR the muscle relaxer helped better? Are you sleeping OK? And lastly... what other symptoms do you have? Anything, even it seems completely unrelated?In terms of getting relief from your doctors... being on long-term narcotics can be taxing on one's body and not fun to get off of. They feel necessary now, but down the line when you start feeling better, they are a ****h and a half to get off of. I never imaged it would take me over 3 years (2 of which on narcotic pain meds) to finally find a treatment that would start making me better after the car accident I was in. I'm going to have to take the leap in a couple months and drop my meds for good when I stop needing them for pain. It's going to royally suck, as I've gone off of them for a week a couple times just to see exactly how much it would suck. Death is honestly preferably for the first week. That said, if your doctor's concern is legitimately that s/he doesn't want you "addicted," ask in particular for an extended release type pain med, and DO NOT ask for a specific brand or type (ie - if you ask for OxyContin, that's a HUGE red flag). It's very easy for a doctor who prescribes the more commonly addictive drugs without a legitimate medical reason - so that is also part of the problem. You could legitimately have pain and your doc probably believes that, but without a "reason" it's not easy to prescribe those meds without an eyebrow being raised at the DEA. When you go to your doc, say that you don't want to take pain meds for a buzz, and you've read that an extended pain reliever won't cause that. Also be open to other meds and therapies your doc suggests. At worst, you might try a med that sucks for a week or 2 and go back to your doc in a month and get something that really works. A lot of it is guess and try, and unfortunately a lot of things don't work the best for everyone. If you feel like no one you have seen is helping - go to other doctors. Find an office that specializes in cervical spinal problems and make an appointment. Get your jaw checked out (if it's off, it can cause other cranial and cervical components to be off as well). Get your eyes checked out (optometric problems can cause postural/spinal problems). Go to a neurologist (s/he knows more about nerve pain than a chiropractor or PT, and if they can't pinpoint the source of your pain in any other way, it could be neurological). Ask for referals if no one is fixing you, and always ask what other problems could be causing your pain. Regarding my issue, it was first a massage therapist who suggested that my postural problems might be caused by my eyes, then my physical therapist sent me to another PT in another city thinking it was my jaw. He learned it was my eyes, and sent me to a neuro-optometrist that confirmed his diagnosis. Aside from having protruding cervical discs and having pain (and 7 courses of injections), I also have Post Traumatic Vision Syndrome (which actually has a fairly easy treatment, ironically). You've got to find someone who can put your symptoms together and figure it out. It's almost like a game of luck. As soon as you give up, you've doomed yourself to a life of pain. Pain med relief won't last forever (and they will only up your dose so high for each given condition), and you're already at a disadvantage with a lack of a definitive diagnosis. Keep trying and check back here. Again, I'm only a year younger than you and know how much it sucks being in pain every day caused by someone else.Good luck.~KR
    misskr 17 Replies Flag this Response
  • either that or they look down thier nose at you.The best one is when you are ill and ring for an appointment it is always for 2 weeks later. Then when you do go you are much better and the reception says "well theres m=nothing wrong with you cant you see the doctors busy Maybe I should check eith a psychic to see when I will need to book an appointment.
    Sauplefal 4 Replies Flag this Response
  • I was in a car accident and slammed myhead/ threw my neck into the driver side window. The paramedics thought I was fine. I thought I was finr for 5 months. Then the pain started. Went to the doctor, got x-rays... they said it didn't look quite right, prescribed lortab, flexerol, oxy etc... referred me to orthopedic surgeon. Ortho said nothing was wrong, wrote me a 3 month scrip for phys therapy... I went to a chiro instead. Many symptoms of the accident, pain and mental have been relieved by seeing the chiropractor regulary... though the doc said DONT GO! My neck is straightening out along with other parts of my back i didn't know were off. it's getting better but, it's not perfect. It's a better solution than pills and surgery or, just living with it, however... I suggest getting evaluated by a chiropractor and starting an exercise regiment to strengthen muscles hold the adjustments in place... the one issue is, the longer the injury has existed, the longer you will need to see the chiropractor. The muscles rest into the place the bones have moved into after so much time.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement