Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Left Arm/Hand numbness/Swelling Sensation

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 5 Replies
  • Posted By: IanDavis
  • September 8, 2008
  • 10:58 PM

I'm 47, overweight on lisinopril for high blood pressure. I'm in between jobs with no insurance so pursuing this is tough. I did see a free clinic doctor:

Symptoms

1) During the day, constant slight numbness/tingling left hand (more so around pinky) Often wake up with it completely numb. No pain, no loss of strength, nothing that inhibits movement or anything.
2) A week later noticed slight swelling of left hand and forearm. Arm feels a little tight. Again, no pain or weakness.
3) A week later, mild shooting/tingling sensation left leg at the front pocket level (feels like a cell phone vibration) and bottom of left foot. Lasts only for a few seconds. Occurs throughout the day intermittently 10-12 times.
4) Left side of face feels slightly tight, very slight but noticable.

The doctor at the free clinic said it could be anything from stress to diabetes. He didn't think it was an impending stroke or anything drastically serious. He wanted to do a complete blood work up. I am concerned if I do this and something sersious is found, I might become uninsurable. So at this point I'm waiting to get insurance at my next job, but I'm still concerned.

Anyone have any ideas what this could be? With the exception of the occasional severe left hand numbess, only when I wake up in the morning, all the other symptoms are mild, but definitley noticable. I think the slight hand/arm swelling concerns me the most.

Reply Flag this Discussion

5 Replies:

• The doctor is right it could be a lot of things, and your right, some of those things would be considered pre existing conditions. Does your hand ever change colors when it feels numb?
    qwertyuiop123 453 Replies
    • September 8, 2008
    • 11:07 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Thank you for replying. No color change. Hand is normal color. As I said, the only physical difference is a very slight swelling in the left hand and forearm. There are times during the day when the numbness is almost gone, but even when it is most pronounced, I would still considered it mild. It is only when I wake in the morning that it goes completely numb.
    IanDavis 1 Replies
    • September 9, 2008
    • 08:41 PM
    Flag this Response
  • There are so many different things that this could be, it would basically be impossible to diagnos without running tests, and there really is no way of knowing until your diagnosed whether its considered a preexisting condition. Has it been getting any worse? Here are a few possibilities http://symptoms.wrongdiagnosis.com/cosymptoms/hand-swelling/numbness.htm
    qwertyuiop123 453 Replies
    • September 11, 2008
    • 06:10 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Ian I have the same symptoms and I've been using the drug for 3 days. Tingling feeling in my left arm (pinky). Whats going on with your situation. Your post was about a month ago.
    cs1978 1 Replies
    • October 11, 2008
    • 05:14 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I'm 47, overweight on lisinopril for high blood pressure. I'm in between jobs with no insurance so pursuing this is tough. I did see a free clinic doctor: Symptoms 1) During the day, constant slight numbness/tingling left hand (more so around pinky) Often wake up with it completely numb. No pain, no loss of strength, nothing that inhibits movement or anything.2) A week later noticed slight swelling of left hand and forearm. Arm feels a little tight. Again, no pain or weakness.3) A week later, mild shooting/tingling sensation left leg at the front pocket level (feels like a cell phone vibration) and bottom of left foot. Lasts only for a few seconds. Occurs throughout the day intermittently 10-12 times.4) Left side of face feels slightly tight, very slight but noticable. The doctor at the free clinic said it could be anything from stress to diabetes. He didn't think it was an impending stroke or anything drastically serious. He wanted to do a complete blood work up. I am concerned if I do this and something sersious is found, I might become uninsurable. So at this point I'm waiting to get insurance at my next job, but I'm still concerned. Anyone have any ideas what this could be? With the exception of the occasional severe left hand numbess, only when I wake up in the morning, all the other symptoms are mild, but definitley noticable. I think the slight hand/arm swelling concerns me the most.i was on lisinopril for 9 years was getting same problems but severe mood changes and violent ;to me i was ok to everyone i knew i was aggresive and violent :went to my gp had some blood test found lisinopril had altered my hormone levels : gp changed medication to a calcium channel blocker tingling and numbness went in 2 days so be cautious had a friend who went on lisinopril after a heart by-pass started getting aggresive the same as i used to jpm england
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 27, 2008
    • 07:39 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement