Discussions By Condition: Muscle conditions

Back Muscle Pull that affect breathing?

Posted In: Muscle conditions 3 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • October 29, 2006
  • 00:24 AM

I've recently had my third episode of this which I can't get a straight answer for. I'll pull a muscle in my back, right side of my back, a little lower and left of my shoulder blade. It will be sharp - like a spasm. At the same time it seems to grab hold of my lungs and not allow me to take deep breaths. The first time it happened it was mild and went away with rest and advil. The second time, I was pulling my laptop from underneath my airplane seat and could not move, this last time was similar to that. Both of these times I've been given demerol, and then sent home with Naproxen. But I just get a vague answer about what muscle or muscles are in play and what I can do. Is there a muscle that goes from your back to your diaphragm?

Help! ec :confused:

Reply Flag this Discussion

3 Replies:

• HiWhen your trapezius goes into very strong spasm or contraction it can affect your breathing. It will be a sudden pain which feels like it's in the sternum (chest). Can take your breath away actually, nasty pain. The trapezius is a large muscle from your neck across the shoulders and inserts into the bra-strap area in a diamond shape. Now even if it is the trapezius there will be a lot more going on and many historic problems which will have brought you to this place.Whiplash injury... not necessarily car accident, wrenching your laptop from various awkward places?! Don't dismiss it. It could also be a diaphragm problem. Roughly the diaphragm attaches from your lumbar vertebrea (interior) up to your sternum. So imagine if you have, even a couple of times, not breathed properly while, for example, doing sit-up's, it will tighten the diaphragm; affecting your breathing. Get to a really good sports/remedial massage therapist....someone who really knows their stuff re: whiplash 'type' injuries. Take this to them just as an idea of a place to start.Also consider a rib problem (good osteopath/chiropracter). If it is what I think it is the problem won't go away by itself, even if it does ease it will come back at some point. Please get it sorted, take care with what you are lifting and how you lift, get a good matress...gosh so many things. I hope this helps, good luck
    musclemadness 6 Replies
    • November 20, 2006
    • 04:29 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi, I am a physical therapist. I would be concerned that you might have something other than a muscle pull. Muscle spasms in the spine occur secondary to the body responding to an underlying issue. It it our body's way of trying to minimize movement. So, even though your pain feels like it is being caused by a muscle, the muscle spasm may be a symptom of the problem. If you were my patient I would be looking at few possibilities: a thoracic facet irritation, irriatation of the joint between the thoracic vetebrae and rib, or a disc. All can impact breathing. Taking anti-inflammatories is a good starting point. I would also apply ice to your mid back area, 10 minutes at a time a few times a day. Do not use heat! Also, watch your posture. Any time you are sitting put a small pillow in your lower back to help keep your spine in a neutral position. Finally, go see a physical therapsit that uses manual techniques (joint mobilizations). Hope this helps. ~JTrempe PT, ATChttp://www.joint-pain-solutions.com
    JTrempe 101 Replies
    • August 17, 2010
    • 01:43 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I've recently had my third episode of this which I can't get a straight answer for. I'll pull a muscle in my back, right side of my back, a little lower and left of my shoulder blade. It will be sharp - like a spasm. At the same time it seems to grab hold of my lungs and not allow me to take deep breaths. The first time it happened it was mild and went away with rest and advil. The second time, I was pulling my laptop from underneath my airplane seat and could not move, this last time was similar to that. Both of these times I've been given demerol, and then sent home with Naproxen. But I just get a vague answer about what muscle or muscles are in play and what I can do. Is there a muscle that goes from your back to your diaphragm? Help! ec :confused:you have trapped a couple of nerved at thoracic joint 4 to 8. a good chiro or osteopath will help you.
    skeletalfrog 1 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement