Discussions By Condition: Medical Stories

lump: back of neck on top of spine. tension headaches.

Posted In: Medical Stories 6 Replies
  • Posted By: paulallen
  • August 31, 2008
  • 01:49 AM

Okay so i used to get these tension headaches.. one of them lasted nearly a month. That was approx. 6 months ago. Recently they came back while i was having sex with my girlfriend and would happen again everytime we would do it. I figured it was just the muscles in my neck getting tense from the orgasm. I saw a doctor he gave me some meds, everything starting getting better. That was about 2 weeks ago. They stopped about 6 days ago.. and i think im in the clear. But 2 days ago i woke up with a stiff neck, the same area that would tense up and cause these headaches. The stiffness sort of went away but it still hurts alot.. so i was digging around today, trying to find where the pain was coming from and i found a lump on the top of my spine / back of neck. Could this be a knot from muscles spasms? It still feels like the pain from a stiff neck but i think its the pain of the pressure being put on my spine or something from this lump. The lump itself is hard and about the size of my thumbnail. Im freaking out, i need to know what this is. I don't think there are any glands in the back of the neck there.. so it can't be from an infection of any kind. what the eff man, ive never had a muscle spasm knot before i dont know what they are.

Reply Flag this Discussion

6 Replies:

• update.. the lump is moveable.. ive been pushing it around and playing with it. it hurts more at night id have to say.. it hasnt gotten any better or worse since i last wrote. my girlfriend was giving me a back masage tonight and told me my muscles were REALLY tight.. ive been giving myself a little masage therapy since.. and its been feeling nice ;P.. but besides that, um im worried. its pretty deep in my neck.. it cant be seen... i have to arch my head back and let it rest on the top on my spine to expose it enough to feel its bulk. and then i can push it around and play games with it. id like to cut open the back of my neck, take it out, and step on it. i really have no other symptoms.. it hasnt affected my vision.. i havnt been getting any throbbing headaches.. i havnt gotten any responses yet, im a little upset no one is hearing me out.. is there any explanation out there to what this could be that could calm my nerves? like i DONT KNOW if its related to my muscles, i just dont have any other symptoms i can process right now.. should i see a doc? or is it just a harmless bulk of calcium deposits.. not that i really know what im talking about.
    paulallen 9 Replies
    • September 1, 2008
    • 06:42 AM
    Flag this Response
  • It sounds to me like trigger points (knots) in your neck muscles and upper traps. Your girlfriend's massages may give you temporary relief but when the trigger points return they'll be 100 times worse. You need professional help. A massage therapist can work them out for you. Make sure that they're certified.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 3, 2008
    • 05:27 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I figured it might be something like that.. Ive been doing alot of research lately on Bad Posture, I think this may have something to do with my problem. On a few other forums i've read of people having cases of the same thing, and responses coming back have said it's possibly the cause of bad posture, while sitting in front of the computer or something. I usually keep my laptop on my lap and im constantly looking down.. so ive been trying to fix that, and seeing if it helps me. Im also thinking about seeing an orthopedist.
    paulallen 9 Replies
    • September 4, 2008
    • 09:34 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I would try acupuncture and massage - very helpful!DOM
    acuann 3,080 Replies
    • September 4, 2008
    • 10:54 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I figured it might be something like that.. Ive been doing alot of research lately on Bad Posture, I think this may have something to do with my problem. On a few other forums i've read of people having cases of the same thing, and responses coming back have said it's possibly the cause of bad posture, while sitting in front of the computer or something. I usually keep my laptop on my lap and im constantly looking down.. so ive been trying to fix that, and seeing if it helps me. Im also thinking about seeing an orthopedist.Hey, I've had a lump on the top of my spine for the last 7 years, give or take... It started out quite small, and I actually thought at first that it was the top of my spine...But then I noticed that I could move it around a bit and it wasn't as hard as bone...it was about the diameter of a nickel and kinda felt jelly-like... My mother has the same thing, although hers is really big, the size of a large orange. My father also has one, tho his is only about the size of a pingpong ball. I've read a few different things saying it's hereditary, or caused from obesity and big boobs... well heretics could be, but I'm only 5'4, 120lbs when not pregnant and a small chest... I was concerned about it for a while, but it doesn't cause much pain for me, unless I touch it too much, or if my shoulder muscles are really tense... My mother always said that it was her stress lump, and that this was where she carried all her tension. I also have found that when it developed, I was under a lot of stress, didn't practice the best posture and had a LOT of unreleased tension in my shoulders... I've researched a little as to what it could be, been scared to go to a doctor about it (though I know this is the best bet) and have found some answers that work for me a little... Like I said, it doesn't really cause much pain, but I'm 5 1/2 months pregnant and the last few days my shoulders have been REALLY sore, going up into my neck and down through my shoulder blades... This has caused the lump to be a little tender, but nothing out of the ordinary... I've also been slightly concerned because in the last 7 years, the lump has slowly gotten bigger... it's not about the size of a golf ball and my boyfriend is very concerned with what it may be...I found a few terms that you may find helpful and could google. I haven't looked them all up as I found your post very similar to what I have and am replying before finishing research on it...but, some terms such as "buffalo hump", Dowager's hump, Protease Paunch, Cushing's syndrom, lipoma (benign tumor), or upper thoracic hump...google these, and good luck hun, I hope you have success finding out what it is and how to help yourself!!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • So both of you really need to have these lumps checked!! ASAP.. My husband had this lump on the back of his neck for about 5 years. It started out to be about the size of the tip of his finger.. as the years went by it grew to about the size of a golf ball... We finally convinced him to see a surgeon. They said it was mostly likely a sebaceous cyst and once they removed it they did a biopsy. The biopsy came back and it was confirmed that it was a rare type of skin cancer... Do some research on this and see if it makes sense to you!! His was called a Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans. Supposedly once you have them removed they usually don't come back but if they do spread within the next 5 years after that they can be pretty bad so GET THEM CHECKED!! Sorry to be a bummer but it's always better to be safe than sorry! Good luck with everything and let me know what you find out.. maybe I can give you some pointers after what he went through
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 16, 2011
    • 07:14 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement