Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Mysterious Excessive Leg Bruising

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 55 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • October 28, 2006
  • 04:34 PM

I am a white female in my early twenties. Mysterious bruises have been appearing on my legs for a while now, mostly on my thighs, but also on my calves. Sometimes they appear and I can not figure out how I got them. I know I am not that clumsy, and they appear sometimes in strange places where bruises do not usually appear. I have always bruised fairly easily, but the bruising has become more excessive and constant in the past several months. I don't like to wear skirts or shorts anymore because of them. They are usually small, and light brown. Most of them are only very small and look like fingerprints. Ocassionally there will be larger ones. Currently I have about seven on each thigh, and three on one calf. I work at a bar standing on my feet and carrying heavy materials for long periods of time. At first I thought that I must be accidentally bumping into things while at work, but now I think there must be some other cause. Besides, if I slight bump at work would cause a bruise, then there must be something else happening. I have been a vegetarian for years, so at first I thought that this bruising may be a sign of anemia. I was also fearful of something more severe such as lukemia or the like, but my bruises are so small I don't think that is possible. One doctor told me that it may be that I have more veins closer to the surface of my skin that bruise easier when bumped. I don't know... Does anyone have any ideas what would cause such bruises?

Reply Flag this Discussion

55 Replies:

• I cant help you find a diagnosis, bit I can relate. What you describe is exactly what I have been experiencing. I'm covered in bruises ranging from the size of a pea to a few the size of my index finger. Mostly on my thighs and a couple on my calves. If I even find out whats wrong I give you a reference.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 4, 2006
    • 04:19 AM
    Flag this Response
  • You may want to get checked to see if perhaps you have hemophilia or at least have the doctors run some blood tests. I myself don't have hemophilia , but do bruise easy....I have a step sister that bruises easy and has a blood disorder although I don't remember the name of it...
    Trina85 3 Replies
    • November 5, 2006
    • 03:13 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Are you on any meducations? Paxil, for example, can cause excessive bruising.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 17, 2006
    • 05:44 AM
    Flag this Response
  • At this point you should probably go to your doctor and have hime check your blood just to see if everything is normal. Low platelets can cause excessive bruising.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 19, 2006
    • 03:36 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I do remember reading somewhere about bruising being a sign of some other medical problems so you may want to get it checked out especially if you cannot link it to an actual event.On the other hand, if you do bruise easily from banging into things you may want to consider taking more Vitamin C. Vit C is needed for vein and capillary health and can prevent excessive bruising and help bruises to heal faster
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 27, 2006
    • 02:51 AM
    Flag this Response
  • About 3 months after I had mono I started to develop bruises all over my legs. My Dr diagnosed them as a type of hives...not really common but possible. They eventually resolved themselves.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 27, 2006
    • 02:54 AM
    Flag this Response
  • To the last post. This would be consistent with a greater need for vitamin C. My niece developed mono and went to a doctor who diagnosed it, but decided to try Vitamin C injections, because he had heard that some people recover faster with that rather than the typical rest and wait. She recovered in three days!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 27, 2006
    • 04:10 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hello. I too am a young female that has experienced the same thing. I became scared at one point because one of my bruises had a knot in it, so I went to the emergency room with the fear of having a blood clot. The Bruise on my thigh were the size of lemons. I didn't get much help from the emergency room or my PCP. They thought that I was being beaten and I didn't want to tell them. I wasn't feeling bad so I stopped worrying about it. It finally went away.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 27, 2006
    • 08:38 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have bruises on my thighs and legs and they markedly come before the onset of my periods and pain on pressing the bruises. The doc says it could be hormonal after checking my platelet and wbc counts. Also prescribed a strong dose of VIT C which has helped. I think you should get your blood checked as the symptoms can be for something simple as a Vitamin Deficiency or something more serious like leukamea. Hence dont wait to get a blood test done...
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 27, 2006
    • 08:52 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I'm a 28 year old female and have had Erythema Nodosum twice in my life- no known cause. If the bruises are coming after a reddish area (knot-like, raised) then this is possible. Good luck!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 27, 2006
    • 09:36 PM
    Flag this Response
  • "I'm a 28 year old female and have had Erythema Nodosum twice in my life- no known cause. If the bruises are coming after a reddish area (knot-like, raised) then this is possible. Good luck!"Isn't Erthema Nodosum something that occurs on the lower legs? Her symptoms, as I recall, were on the upper legs and thighs.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 28, 2006
    • 03:52 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• They can occur anywhere from the arms to the legs. Look it up.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 28, 2006
    • 09:51 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have been experiencing leg and back-end(for lack of a better term) bruising. I have several clusters on both thighs right now and a big one on my butt. I have had this before but didn't do anything about it, they usually don't hurt. I am going to see my Dr. tomorrow because my husband thought it looked pretty bad. I'll report back on what Dr. says. I don't like self-diagnosing on the internet, you can make yourself crazy.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 29, 2006
    • 02:59 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Dear Kate:Ditto with the bruising. Big ones! Current health issues include liver swelling and adrenal insufficiency. Fatigued all the time? Maybe something along these lines. One person who responded said they read something medical about this and you should go to the docotr? What are they NOT telling us. Give us a clue, becuase most doctors write it off to nothing and that is why we all don't know what it is caused by. Lets speculate.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 16, 2006
    • 10:06 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I've been having a similar poblem for the past year and a half. Once every few months, I'll get an itch somewhere on my thigh (once on my buttock). After I itch, the itch is gone but later I notice there is a bruise. These bruises are huge! One covered my entire buttock; another covered my entire inner thigh. At first, I thought I was causing the bruise by itching. But after a few times of this happening thoughout the past year, I realized my itching isn't causing the bruise. Something is wrong that causes me to itch---like I broke free a blood vessel that needs broke perhaps. Earlier this year, I called the doctor's office and I was told over the phone that I can bruise myself from itching. I decided I'd wait until it happened again before I made an appointment to be seen. I have tested the 'itching causing the bruisng' theory by itching other areas of my thigh very hard and I can't cause a bruise.From doing my google searches, I've discovered many people asking about this problem. Unfortunately, none seem to be getting answers or sharing answers once they find out. This has got to mean something.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 22, 2006
    • 11:00 PM
    Flag this Response
  • all of the above are possible but i would advise that all you all get checked for Von Willebrand. Not hemophilia since you all are females. Von Willebrand can mimic hemophilia and is more common in females.
    kitten8266 2 Replies
    • February 26, 2007
    • 04:15 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Some of the Lyme Disease Co-ifections can do this too. Someone mentioned the adreanals. Lyme can affect the thyroid and adrenals after awhile/ Not everyone gets the bullseye rash and it can lay dormant for awhile....Just another thought for you all. Get it checked out, don't guess.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 26, 2007
    • 00:17 PM
    Flag this Response
  • By all means, get your blood tested, platelets counted and all that. In the meantime, take a good quality nutritional supplement with citrus bioflavenoids. This is very helpful for bruising! Vit C is good, but the citrus bioflavenoids are essential to help with this. I used to bruise very easily. Hated to wear shorts/skirts. In Chinese Medicine this is a sign of Spleen Qi deficiency. As I got back in balance, and started taking a supplement called Intramax, I have noticed hardly ANY bruising at all. Used to have little bruises EVERYWHERE! It will really help. Best wishes.DOM
    acuann 3,080 Replies
    • February 26, 2007
    • 03:27 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I get the bruises as well. I have to try to discribe mine though... Anywhere from pea size to lime size. but they have this weird ring around them. they're dark in the middle but then there's a whitish ring and then a red ring around that. They come out of nowhere. last ones i got covered my thighs, thats the usual place. I got a picture finally because everytime i get in to see the doctor, their gone.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 28, 2007
    • 07:13 AM
    Flag this Response
  • It seems there are several things that could be happening, Lack of Vitamin C, or Vitamin K, Too much aspirn, ibuprofen, fish oil, ginger, garlic, antidepressants, but all and all find a doctor or my preference Doctor of Oriental Medicine and don't give up till you find one that listens to you. Too much over supplementing can cause problems as well. Good Luck!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement