Discussions By Condition: Ear conditions

Persistant ear ache -and- scalp pain

Posted In: Ear conditions 6 Replies
  • Posted By: cadlewv
  • August 16, 2008
  • 02:02 PM

Hello. Looking for answers to the medical mystery that is my body.

A couple of months ago, I had an ear ache in my left ear, as well as scalp pain (as if someone were pulling my hair) on the -left- side of my head. It lasted for about 4 weeks. I went through a bottle of tylenol to deal with it. Finally one day, it up and disappeared. No more scalp pain or earache.

Yesterday, I noticed my -right- ear hurting. Curiosity led me to scratch the right side of my head, and sure enough, I now have the same problem... but on the -right- side of my head. I guess I'm concerned now that it's happening to the other side of my head. I could've discarded all of the thoughts and notions when it went away last time, but now I'm concerned.

Any help would be appreciated.

Reply Flag this Discussion

6 Replies:

• Is the pain more severe right behind your ear on the hairline?
    clipartfan 5 Replies
    • November 12, 2008
    • 07:56 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I had the exact same symptom. have not checked it out yet. started 1 week ago
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 5, 2009
    • 00:27 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hello. Looking for answers to the medical mystery that is my body. A couple of months ago, I had an ear ache in my left ear, as well as scalp pain (as if someone were pulling my hair) on the -left- side of my head. It lasted for about 4 weeks. I went through a bottle of tylenol to deal with it. Finally one day, it up and disappeared. No more scalp pain or earache. Yesterday, I noticed my -right- ear hurting. Curiosity led me to scratch the right side of my head, and sure enough, I now have the same problem... but on the -right- side of my head. I guess I'm concerned now that it's happening to the other side of my head. I could've discarded all of the thoughts and notions when it went away last time, but now I'm concerned. Any help would be appreciated.I have the same symptoms now for 4 days running. Doctor said my earache was caused by a fluid on the ear, as a result of a closed Eustachian tube, but it's wide open! He had me try allergy treatment via nasal spray, with augmentum, in case there is a budding infection. After 2 days, I see no change. I hope someone can give us a clue!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 22, 2010
    • 02:27 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I had an intense ear ache and scalp pain on the right side of my head. I treated myself for Occipital Neuralgia, applying heat to the right occipital area for a while and the pain went away and has not returned. You can read more about the condition here: http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/occipitalneuralgia/occipitalneuralgia.htmHello. Looking for answers to the medical mystery that is my body. A couple of months ago, I had an ear ache in my left ear, as well as scalp pain (as if someone were pulling my hair) on the -left- side of my head. It lasted for about 4 weeks. I went through a bottle of tylenol to deal with it. Finally one day, it up and disappeared. No more scalp pain or earache. Yesterday, I noticed my -right- ear hurting. Curiosity led me to scratch the right side of my head, and sure enough, I now have the same problem... but on the -right- side of my head. I guess I'm concerned now that it's happening to the other side of my head. I could've discarded all of the thoughts and notions when it went away last time, but now I'm concerned. Any help would be appreciated.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 2, 2010
    • 09:15 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I had same problem of ear ache and scalp pain i refer homeopathy medicine does anyone know it will be effective or not?
    Ricky5aberle 1 Replies
    • December 22, 2010
    • 09:51 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I had same problem of ear ache and scalp pain i refer homeopathy medicine does anyone know it will be effective or not?Today is Feb 22, 2011. Five nights ago, I suddenly felt a sharp stabbing pain in my scalp at left of centre of my crown. It was sensitive to touch that even stroking the hair caused pain. I also had pain in my ear, with some pain behind my left eye, which sometimes became teary. On Friday, I went to to Doctor 1. She said it was cluster headache, and advised that I take painkillers. I did but it did not help. Hot and cold compress that night helped ease the pain. I researched cluster headache, and I felt it was an incorrect diagnosis. On Saturday I went to see Doctor 2 for a second opinion. She did not name the ailment, but gave me accupuncture. Somehow it went away, but not fully, and I managed to go through the day. At night, I had an attack again. On Sunday, the clinics were closed, so I tried to manage it with rest, analgesic and cold compress.On Monday, I consulted Doctor 3. Immediately, he recognised the symptoms as occipital neuralgia, and gave me acupuncture, in parts different from where Doctor 2 placed her needles. Within minutes, the pain was gone. For the next 18 hours, I was pain-free. I was so happy that I even posted a comment on the effectiveness of acupuncture in my Facebook. But past midnight, I had another very painful attack, that came in close intervals. Very early Tuesday, I was Doctor 3's first patient, and asked for another acupuncture. Again, the pain disappeared within minutes, and eight hours later, I am still pain free, as I write this. I swear that acupuncture is working for me. I hope the pain does not come back. But if it does, I know what to do: go back to Doctor 3.Good luck with your management of your ailment. I hope you find your cure.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 22, 2011
    • 06:27 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement