Discussions By Condition: Ear conditions

Persistant ear ache -and- scalp pain

Posted In: Ear conditions 6 Replies
  • Posted By: cadlewv
  • August 16, 2008
  • 02:02 PM

Hello. Looking for answers to the medical mystery that is my body.

A couple of months ago, I had an ear ache in my left ear, as well as scalp pain (as if someone were pulling my hair) on the -left- side of my head. It lasted for about 4 weeks. I went through a bottle of tylenol to deal with it. Finally one day, it up and disappeared. No more scalp pain or earache.

Yesterday, I noticed my -right- ear hurting. Curiosity led me to scratch the right side of my head, and sure enough, I now have the same problem... but on the -right- side of my head. I guess I'm concerned now that it's happening to the other side of my head. I could've discarded all of the thoughts and notions when it went away last time, but now I'm concerned.

Any help would be appreciated.

Reply Flag this Discussion

6 Replies:

• Is the pain more severe right behind your ear on the hairline?
    clipartfan 5 Replies
    • November 12, 2008
    • 07:56 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I had the exact same symptom. have not checked it out yet. started 1 week ago
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 5, 2009
    • 00:27 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hello. Looking for answers to the medical mystery that is my body. A couple of months ago, I had an ear ache in my left ear, as well as scalp pain (as if someone were pulling my hair) on the -left- side of my head. It lasted for about 4 weeks. I went through a bottle of tylenol to deal with it. Finally one day, it up and disappeared. No more scalp pain or earache. Yesterday, I noticed my -right- ear hurting. Curiosity led me to scratch the right side of my head, and sure enough, I now have the same problem... but on the -right- side of my head. I guess I'm concerned now that it's happening to the other side of my head. I could've discarded all of the thoughts and notions when it went away last time, but now I'm concerned. Any help would be appreciated.I have the same symptoms now for 4 days running. Doctor said my earache was caused by a fluid on the ear, as a result of a closed Eustachian tube, but it's wide open! He had me try allergy treatment via nasal spray, with augmentum, in case there is a budding infection. After 2 days, I see no change. I hope someone can give us a clue!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 22, 2010
    • 02:27 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I had an intense ear ache and scalp pain on the right side of my head. I treated myself for Occipital Neuralgia, applying heat to the right occipital area for a while and the pain went away and has not returned. You can read more about the condition here: http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/occipitalneuralgia/occipitalneuralgia.htmHello. Looking for answers to the medical mystery that is my body. A couple of months ago, I had an ear ache in my left ear, as well as scalp pain (as if someone were pulling my hair) on the -left- side of my head. It lasted for about 4 weeks. I went through a bottle of tylenol to deal with it. Finally one day, it up and disappeared. No more scalp pain or earache. Yesterday, I noticed my -right- ear hurting. Curiosity led me to scratch the right side of my head, and sure enough, I now have the same problem... but on the -right- side of my head. I guess I'm concerned now that it's happening to the other side of my head. I could've discarded all of the thoughts and notions when it went away last time, but now I'm concerned. Any help would be appreciated.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 2, 2010
    • 09:15 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I had same problem of ear ache and scalp pain i refer homeopathy medicine does anyone know it will be effective or not?
    Ricky5aberle 1 Replies
    • December 22, 2010
    • 09:51 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I had same problem of ear ache and scalp pain i refer homeopathy medicine does anyone know it will be effective or not?Today is Feb 22, 2011. Five nights ago, I suddenly felt a sharp stabbing pain in my scalp at left of centre of my crown. It was sensitive to touch that even stroking the hair caused pain. I also had pain in my ear, with some pain behind my left eye, which sometimes became teary. On Friday, I went to to Doctor 1. She said it was cluster headache, and advised that I take painkillers. I did but it did not help. Hot and cold compress that night helped ease the pain. I researched cluster headache, and I felt it was an incorrect diagnosis. On Saturday I went to see Doctor 2 for a second opinion. She did not name the ailment, but gave me accupuncture. Somehow it went away, but not fully, and I managed to go through the day. At night, I had an attack again. On Sunday, the clinics were closed, so I tried to manage it with rest, analgesic and cold compress.On Monday, I consulted Doctor 3. Immediately, he recognised the symptoms as occipital neuralgia, and gave me acupuncture, in parts different from where Doctor 2 placed her needles. Within minutes, the pain was gone. For the next 18 hours, I was pain-free. I was so happy that I even posted a comment on the effectiveness of acupuncture in my Facebook. But past midnight, I had another very painful attack, that came in close intervals. Very early Tuesday, I was Doctor 3's first patient, and asked for another acupuncture. Again, the pain disappeared within minutes, and eight hours later, I am still pain free, as I write this. I swear that acupuncture is working for me. I hope the pain does not come back. But if it does, I know what to do: go back to Doctor 3.Good luck with your management of your ailment. I hope you find your cure.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 22, 2011
    • 06:27 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement