Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

wake up with a sprained ankle - swelled and bruised

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 14 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • August 6, 2008
  • 08:37 PM

My husband woke up with a sprained ankle. He cannot bear weight on it and it's swelled and bruised. Is it possible to sprained your ankle in your sleep?? what else could it be?

Reply Flag this Discussion

14 Replies:

• It can be thrombosis. Go and see a doctor ASAP. Good luck!
    Felsen 510 Replies Flag this Response
  • Thank you but we went to the ER already and no fracture or blod clots??? The dr said it's a mystery.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 11, 2008
    • 08:24 PM
    Flag this Response
  • No epson salt...just woke up with a sprained ankle and xrays and ultrasound (to rule out clot) were negative....just wondering if it's possible to wake up from a night's sleep with a sprained ankle?? Thanks..
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 13, 2008
    • 02:40 PM
    Flag this Response
  • think: sleep walking...put alarms on the doors and bells around the bed. He may also twist and turn a lot in bed. I would think vein problem, too, but it was checked out. Could it be a brown recluse bite?
    Monsterlove 2,921 Replies
    • August 13, 2008
    • 07:51 PM
    Flag this Response
  • hmmm...we do have a lot of spiders...
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 27, 2008
    • 08:39 PM
    Flag this Response
  • my friend needs to know what happened to him
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Please note that *I AM NOT A DOCTOR*Just a thought: is there any possibility that husband could have any form of hypermobility syndrome? (ie a condition in which joints are very flexible, more so than for other people, sometimes known more colloquilly as being double jointed). Again, not a doctor. But I've known people on line who have various types of hypermobility syndrome, and apparently some of them do sometimes injure themselves in their sleep (I guess from tossing and turning, not sure) because their joints so very easily get twisted out of allignment or sublux, etc.Of course you should always investigate more plausible or common causes before considering anything uncommon. Just throwing out the possibility to add to the list of things to consider if other things don't bear out.Again, bearing in mind, I AM NOT A DOCTOR.
  • I woke up with a sprained ankle. My sheets were too tight (tucked in at foot of bed tightly) and my foot spent the night pushing against them. That's all I can figure. When I finally awoke (after thinking about it through the night and being too tired to do anything about it) I loosened the sheets to instant relief. Now not sure what to do. Can't walk.Please note that *I AM NOT A DOCTOR*Just a thought: is there any possibility that husband could have any form of hypermobility syndrome? (ie a condition in which joints are very flexible, more so than for other people, sometimes known more colloquilly as being double jointed). Again, not a doctor. But I've known people on line who have various types of hypermobility syndrome, and apparently some of them do sometimes injure themselves in their sleep (I guess from tossing and turning, not sure) because their joints so very easily get twisted out of allignment or sublux, etc.Of course you should always investigate more plausible or common causes before considering anything uncommon. Just throwing out the possibility to add to the list of things to consider if other things don't bear out.Again, bearing in mind, I AM NOT A DOCTOR.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 24, 2009
    • 00:31 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I'm a Trainer and can tell you this: Seriously you need to not be a baby about it. its always PRICE, Protect (get a brace or Air Cast) Rest (pretty obvious, try not to put unnecessary strain, relax when at home). Ice, never more than 20 minutes in one session, sever times a day. Compression A nice wrap or neoprene ankle sleeve. Elevation, get your ankle above your heart, Lie down with a few pillows underneath your foot.If you didn't Ice within the first hour you probably doubled your recovery time. Something to remember for next time.I woke up with a sprained ankle. My sheets were too tight (tucked in at foot of bed tightly) and my foot spent the night pushing against them. That's all I can figure. When I finally awoke (after thinking about it through the night and being too tired to do anything about it) I loosened the sheets to instant relief. Now not sure what to do. Can't walk.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 27, 2009
    • 01:50 AM
    Flag this Response
  • My husband woke up with a sprained ankle. He cannot bear weight on it and it's swelled and bruised. Is it possible to sprained your ankle in your sleep?? what else could it be?I know it sounds weird, but I am dealing with the same problem. I woke up yesterday morning (1/17/10), with a sprained ankle. At first, I thought it was a foot cramp, but the pain got worse when I stood up and began walking. By eveinng, my ankle was swollen. I took two endomethicin. The pain did not subside but the endomethicin made me drowsy, so I fell asleep. It's the next morning now and the pain is as bad as it was last night. I can't walk properly, so I'm going to the doctor. I had some vivid dreams the night before that I don't remember and either hurt myself or had my foot in an odd position.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 18, 2010
    • 05:05 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Sure, you can twist or injure an ankle and only see the results (swelling, pain, throbbing) later on. In your case, if the injury occurred a few hours before going to bed, the symptoms come on during sleep. One may not even remember twisting an ankle, and if all goes well, as long as you limit weight on it, use ice and elevation, it should be better within 2 days. Use it too much and it can take a week or more.Good luck.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 31, 2010
    • 04:29 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• Hi guys, Thought you might be interested in checking out the following link for detailed information on an ankle sprain including treatment. N.B. Although unusual, some ankle sprains present the following morning after injury due to accumulation of inflammation over night (as blood flow slows down):Hope that helps and good luck,PhysioAdvisor
    PhysioAdvisor 93 Replies
    • February 4, 2010
    • 01:24 AM
    Flag this Response
  • This has happened to me several times before it was correctly diagnosed as gout. When this happens, it is likely a flare-up of gout, which is easily treated with indomethicin in the short term and allopurinol over the long-term.
  • No epson salt...just woke up with a sprained ankle and xrays and ultrasound (to rule out clot) were negative....just wondering if it's possible to wake up from a night's sleep with a sprained ankle?? Thanks..I did the same thing last night. Ankle is swollen to twice normal size.
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement