Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

back freeze?

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 13 Replies
  • Posted By: qwertyuiop123
  • July 29, 2008
  • 01:40 AM

Instead of just getting brain freezes, i also get really painful back freezes. I thought that everyone got these, until a few days ago on vacation when i said something about my back hurt, and when i explained it was like a brain freeze, but in my back, they looked at me funny, and i realized maybe that isn't supposed to happen, idk if this could have something to do with the kyphosis in my back, does anyone know what this is?

Reply Flag this Discussion

13 Replies:

• More data please?
    Abbydoodle 138 Replies Flag this Response
  • Instead of a brain freeze or sometimes in addition to, i will get that same sort of seering pain in my back. it lasts the same amount of time as a brain freeze does, but is more painful. I found on the internet people asking the same question, but no one was able to answer it. I have been diagnosed ADD, i have raynauds, and scheuermanns kyphosis. I am trying to find out why i have been experiencing tingling in my limbs, i will go to a neurologist next, the referal lady is working on that. I have no idea if any of these things are related. I also missed some school several years ago when i started waking up in the morning with stomach aches, or feeling sick to my stomach, usually just a weird upset sort of feeling. I eventually realized this seems to happen when i wake up cold in the morning, i will also have that weird feeling, if i'm really cold, my stomach will hurt the rest of the day. My mom has IBS, and i have not been diagnosed, but we have assumed i have it as i get the same stomach aches she does. I am taking adderall, norvasc, and melatonin. I don't know if any of this information is helpful. I just don't think this is worth another trip to the doctor as that means my mom has to miss work, and that is pretty inconvenient as she finally found her dream job which means the same pay but without a commute, and she just gave her old job notice, so basically i was hoping someone else knows what this is, and has some sort of explanation. Thanks in advance sorry this was long.
    qwertyuiop123 453 Replies Flag this Response
  • apparently this is normal, i don't know why i didn't find this when i was searching before. Human esophageal response during chest pain induced by swallowing cold liquidsG. W. Meyer and D. O. Castell Normal persons often note chest or back pain during rapid ingestion of cold liquids, commonly believed to result from cold-induced "spasm" of esophageal muscle. We studied the effects of swallowing cold liquids on esophageal function in five normal subjects, aged 20 to 44 years, by comparing their response to cold ice cream (-5 degrees C) and room temperature ice cream mix (20 degrees C). Decreased peristaltic amplitude was seen during cold ice cream ingestion, primarily in the midesophagus. When seven subjects rapidly ingested ice cream until chest pain was produced and maintained for at least 60 s, complete absence of motor activity in the distal esophagus occurred, with slow return to normal during the ensuing five minutes. Our studies indicate that ingestion of cold liquids significantly depresses peristaltic amplitudes and frequency of peristalsis in normal persons, and pain is associated with complete absence of motor activity in the body of the esophagus, rather than esophageal "spasm" as commonly believed.
  • I've been ADD since i was a child back when i didn't really have a use for computers and my tv sort of got 4 channels, and i definitely didn't have a cell phone. do you even know what melatonin is? It helps me sleep, seeing as adderall is a stimulant, and therefore keeps me up. Thanks for the suggestion, but you have suggested this to me before in my other thread. I'm guessing the kyphosis has something to do with the numbness. It wouldn't cause it, at least not in the upper and lower limbs, but maybe something causes numbness and kyphosis? idk
  • I do appreciate any and all help people are willing to give me, i just don't see how add and melatonin point to electrosensitivity or whatever, the melatonin is to counteract the stimulant i take for add. I will read what you just posted.
  • My add is something my mom noticed when i was very young, before cell phones existed, and though i do have a cell phone i rarely use it, especially at night because i don't have many minutes and am supposed to use the home phone when i am at home, so i don't use the cell phone before i go to bed.
  • Nope, it has nothing to do with your diagnoses or meds. I get back freeze also and have none of these things in common.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 18, 2009
    • 03:47 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I get back freeze simultaneously with brain freeze so you're not alone.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I get these all the time when I eat ice cream or something just really cold. It's nothing to really worry about; it's totally normal, and this is because it's simply just like a brain freeze, but in your back. I know, it hurts like ***l, sometimes more often and worse than a brain freeze. You'll be alright though, don't worry about it.
  • I get these all the time! I finally made a friend that gets them too and doesn't think I am a crazy person.
  • I'm so excited! I never knew anyone else that gets this. I have never had brain freeze in my life but have definitely had back freeze. Everyone thought I was weird. I figured out, don't ask me how because I don't remember, that if you lay down or even if standing, just bend backwards your back as much as you can it goes away immediately. Also, apparently it's hereditary because my 5 yr old has gotten it but she gets it both in her brain and back. Hope this helps!
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• What a relief!! There are others out there with the same thing. I slipped on ice fifteen years ago and broke a bone in my back with a compression fracture, also. Ever since then I've had brain freeze in that spot in my back, but never again in my head.
    sjdelp 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • Instead of just getting brain freezes, i also get really painful back freezes. I thought that everyone got these, until a few days ago on vacation when i said something about my back hurt, and when i explained it was like a brain freeze, but in my back, they looked at me funny, and i realized maybe that isn't supposed to happen, idk if this could have something to do with the kyphosis in my back, does anyone know what this is?:cool: I know EXCATLY how you feel bro... I was drinking a real fruit slushie lemon flavored RT44 from Sonic's and I drank a lot of it and my back had froze! I could barely move!!! I could feel the ice crystals breaking off my back... I clutched on to my back and I had a ear piercing squeal come out of my mouth!! I tried to remove my hand from my back but it was FROZEN TO MY BACK! This is definitely something TMZ should look into.. I'm not lying either... I'll show you...
    Teddy Boommallah 2 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement