Discussions By Condition: Knee conditions

back of knee pain

Posted In: Knee conditions 4 Replies
  • Posted By: halika2
  • October 26, 2006
  • 04:49 PM

Hi, I'm new here.

I have had osteoarthritis in my right knee for 6-7 years. The past few months I have experienced pain ranging from slight to severe in the back of my left knee. It is usually worse when I've been walking or standing.

I attributed it to fibromyalgia at first, because I have a severe case of fm. But I finally saw a doc specifically for my knee pain. My regular doc's P.A. thought it was a baker's cyst. I went to an orthopedist who disagreed and sent me for an MRI. It showed fluid buildup but no cyst or tears.

Lately I've felt pain coming around the inside to the front of my knee, and a pulling sensation across the knee.

My regular doc now says possibly a fractured knee cap (obviously it wouldn't be a very bad fracture, cause I can walk just fine).

I see the orthopedist again on Nov. 1st.

Anybody have any similar problems, and if so what was your outcome?

thanx!:(

Reply Flag this Discussion

4 Replies:

• I have never posted here either. I also have FM and severe degenerative spine disease. I have also been diagnosed with osteoarthritis in my back and neck. For the last 3-5 months I have had severe pain in the back of my left knee and sometimes in the front; I went to my doc. and he took x-rays but claimed that everything looked OK. He done no further testing, but he did say that it had nothing to do with my FM because there are no muscles in the knee there are ligaments. I haven't went any further in treatment, because I thougtht that maybe it was coming from my back. I will try to keep checking back to see if you have found anything. Sorry I couldn't be much help. :)
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I too recently had sever pain behind my knee. It go so bad it hurt to even sleep. My bf had a blood clot before that almost killed him and because I sit in a chair for long periods of time he was concerned I could have developed one too. Smoking being overweight and prolonged sitting are all risks. So we rushed down to the ER and thankfully I had a common condition often called a BAKERS Cyst. You should let a doctor examine to be sure. I didnt know that if I had a clot and pressed too ******n the sore area that I could of done deadly harm and so I did feel around on my knee and low and behold felt a tiny lumpy bubbly mushy bump (the Bakers cyst) it went away in about three months Yes thats correct three long hard months
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I've read somewhere, that pain from under the knee cap is sometimes felt as if its behind the knee.Or something like Chondromalacia patella ?
    MarksMarks 2 Replies
    • December 9, 2010
    • 06:25 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I would recommend seeing a physiotherapist to assist with diagnosis and appropriate treatment for your knee arthritis. The pain you are getting may simply be due to aggravation of your knee arthritis which can cause symptoms in a range of locations. You may also have arthritis behind the knee cap or patellofemoral pain syndrome (chondromalacia patella). If symptoms do not improve with appropriate physiotherapy and rehabilitation knee athroscopy or total knee replacement surgery may be indicated.Hope that helps and good luck,PhysioAdvisorwww.PhysioAdvisor.com
    PhysioAdvisor 93 Replies
    • December 21, 2010
    • 01:39 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement