Discussions By Condition: Hand conditions

Painful Lump in the Palm

Posted In: Hand conditions 16 Replies
  • Posted By: sjrosen
  • October 26, 2006
  • 04:38 PM

I have a very tender lump on my right palm located at the juncture of the bases of my index and middle fingers. Any ideas as to the cause?

Reply Flag this Discussion

16 Replies:

• That is odd! I have just logged on with hopes of finding out something about a very similar problem. I have a boney lump at the base of my middle finger, about the size of a small pea and it is driving me nuts!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 24, 2007
    • 02:42 AM
    Flag this Response
  • most likely a ganglion cyst. i have one under the joint of my middle finger (just above my palm)
    hannah06 9 Replies
    • February 9, 2007
    • 06:39 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I had the same and it was diagnosed as Duyputren's contracture. If you will research on the web, you will find that nodules/lumps in the palm are almost always DC. The pain only lasted at the beginning. Now I have the lump but no pain. Good luck!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • HiAbout 4 weeks ago I also notice a small pea sized lump about 1 inch down from between my little and third finger - though it does not hurt it is quite solid and can only be felt and not really visible. There are no restrictions on finger movements though - I also had been searching the net to try and find out what it was.
    lilliput 5 Replies Flag this Response
  • I have two of these at the minute. So possibly the same as mine - ganglion cysts or if you like Gideons lump! (the name arose as hitting them with a Gideons Bible which according to old Folklore made them disappear! Don't try - you'll end up with a broken finger) I have had these before, caused by playing tennis. In all cases they have gone away again on their own without treatment in a matter of weeks. Mine hurt when I play but perhaps bashing a ball also gets trid of them!
  • I have got a strange lump on my health line next to my thumb, it's not round its slightly longish and it's a bit saw, what is it?
  • I have a very tender lump on my right palm located at the juncture of the bases of my index and middle fingers. Any ideas as to the cause?I just found out yesterday that I have "Dupuytren's Contracture". That may be what you have. Do a search for it on Google and there is one site that has a lot of pictures also several doctors in USA that can fix it without surgery. One close to me that I have an appointment with is http://www.dupuytrenscenter.com/ . You sure don't want to have surgery for it because there is a long recovery period and also can have complications. What Dr. Kline does is just an office visit and a real short recovery.
    Brother Bob 2 Replies Flag this Response
  • I also have a lump on the palm of my hand and since my father has had to have surgery for Dupuytren's on both hands I'm sure that's what I have as it is often inherited.I found some very good information on the subject on the following sites, the Dupuytren society talks about radiotherapy being a very effective way to stop/delay the disease in the early stages which I had not heard of before and has other good general information, also there some very good information on the disease on Hand World
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 3, 2007
    • 06:12 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I also have a new lump on my palm just below the heart line.. It is quite painful.. I have had a few others of these under my ring fingers,and also a g. Crsts.. which is different.. The cyst I resmashed again with my tennis racket after the best dr. in N:Y: would not do surg. Gone... The other two lumps I have massaged, pressured and moved away as well... I am doing the same with this one, however it is more painful.. I also stretch my hands and fingers a lot to keep them from that claw like position...
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 9, 2009
    • 04:31 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I am so glad to have found this thread...mine is a bony lump at the base of my middle finger too....same size...sore to push on....would love an answer as to what it might be..That is odd! I have just logged on with hopes of finding out something about a very similar problem. I have a boney lump at the base of my middle finger, about the size of a small pea and it is driving me nuts!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 2, 2009
    • 08:24 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I also have a new lump on my palm just below the heart line.. It is quite painful.. I have had a few others of these under my ring fingers,and also a g. Crsts.. which is different.. The cyst I resmashed again with my tennis racket after the best dr. in N:Y: would not do surg. Gone... The other two lumps I have massaged, pressured and moved away as well... I am doing the same with this one, however it is more painful.. I also stretch my hands and fingers a lot to keep them from that claw like position...How do you message and how ofter and did it relieve the pain?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 15, 2009
    • 07:20 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• most likely a ganglion cyst. i have one under the joint of my middle finger (just above my palm)I logged on because I am a similar sounding lump on the base of my middle finder of my left hand, very painful if it's pressed , can't play my guitar because of it. I have hand a ganglion on the upper part of my right hand several years ago , this one feels harder thenthat though , like a small hard pea. Whats causes it ?
  • I logged on because I am a similar sounding lump on the base of my middle finder of my left hand, very painful if it's pressed , can't play my guitar because of it. I have hand a ganglion on the upper part of my right hand several years ago , this one feels harder thenthat though , like a small hard pea. Whats causes it ?I'm having the same issue. I have one at the base of both my index fingers. It's starting to bug me when I play guitar! It feels really hard like bone.
  • I have several of these pea shaped lumps on various fingers. I have swelling in 3 fingers (one thumb and both pinkie fingers) and also the lumps on 5 of my fingers total. My doc said that maybe my anemia is causing it...I think he's full of crap. My sister used to smash hers too, with a book. I refuse to do that to myself and have read it is NOT good to do it.Anyone have a conclusive diagnosis for this?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 22, 2010
    • 06:33 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I am only 19 and I too have found a lump on my palm. It's at the base of my middle finger, about small pea sized and is slightly tender. I'm worried as to what it is, but feel stupid going to my doc if it is going to turn out to be nothing. As I am so young I doubt it will be anything, but I was wondering if anybody else had experienced something similar at this age?Oh and I'm also female, and I heard that Dupuytrens Disease is prevelant in men. It also is supposed to effect the bending of your finger. I don't have this yet.
  • Nice people on the forum!! Any of you guys live pretty near Las Vegas and have though about getting home cleaning then look me up. Thanks!
    friseZete 8 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement