Discussions By Condition: Ears, Nose, Mouth & Throat conditions

blood in ear

• Posted By: maggiemae
  • July 14, 2008
  • 04:34 PM

Hi everyone. I don't think this is a major concern, but I would like to hear your feedback just in case.

Every morning when I get out of the shower, I clean my ears with q-tips. I'm always very careful about how I clean my ears so as to not cause any damage. Well this morning there was a little blood on the q-tip from my right ear. I have never experienced this before, and I know that I did not insert the q-tip too deeply.

However, I am prone to seasonal allergies and sinus infections. In the past week I've had the usual stuffiness, congestion, itchy eyes, and nasal drainage. Also, when I woke up this morning my throat was sore, and there's a lot of pressure around my right ear. I'm assuming this is related to the blood I found. It's been a few hours since this occurred, and my symptoms have not lessened; although there has not been anymore blood. So far, I have not had the typical yellowish/green mucus that comes with a sinus infection.

In all my years of sinus problems, I've never had blood come out of my ear, so I don't know if this is something I need to worry about. Any advise is greatly appreciate. Thanks in advance!

Reply Flag this Discussion

3 Replies:

• hi, i had a similar problem. i know i clean my ears out with the small sticks with cotton wool on (cotton buds). i dont think i pressed too hard either. i had ear ache for days and it started to bleed. the best advice i can give you is see a DOCTOR! that way, they will give you some medicine just like they did to me.now all i can say is, i am a happy, healthy human beingthnx for reading my post!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • It's a really bad idea to poke que tips or cotton buds into ears, all you do is push debris and wax further down into the ear canal which is an easy way to cause an ear infection. Ears are very good at self cleaning - ear wax is not dirt it's a normal secretion that protects the ear. If you get a bad build up of wax it's safer to use a few drops of ear wax to remove it.
    maggiemay 68 Replies Flag this Response
  • I have to admit, I shuv a earbud everytime I get itchy after putting oil in, I actually done a bit of poking today lol, maybe my ear is used to it anyway.Don't use earbuds, they can harm your ear, and that can lead to brain problems!! (e.g. migraines, nasuea, etc)don't worry the blood is most likely from a torn tissue inside (it is a bit of blood right?)
    skittle 11 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement