Discussions By Condition: Repiratory conditions

crackling sound in lungs

Posted In: Repiratory conditions 36 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • July 6, 2008
  • 10:20 PM

I have a crackling sound in my lungs which occurs occasionally when I lie down. It is a dry sound that is at the end of inspiration and from the bottom of my lungs. I have no other symptoms and am wondering what could be causing it.

Reply Flag this Discussion

36 Replies:

• Bronchitis? you might want to go to a doctor - How long has this been occurring?
    JulyDown12 3 Replies Flag this Response
  • Thanks JulyDown12 for responding. I have noticed this only recently-- in the last two weeks maybe four or five times. It sounds like those bubble wrap things that you can popI will look up bronchitis to see if it is a match.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Any cough? Any nasal congestion? Any history of asthma? Allergies? Do you smoke? DOM
    acuann 3,080 Replies Flag this Response
  • hello aucuann,no to all of the above. I don't have any other symptoms other than the crackling (which I noticed tonight again), and no I don't smoke.
  • I am new to this site. Trying to figure out what is wrong with me. I have that same crackling (gurgling) sound. I have been having trouble breathing for about 6 weeks now and this is new to my list of symptoms. Dr. won't see me again for 2 weeks. Good luck finding your diagnosis.
    am i crazy? 2 Replies Flag this Response
  • I have a crackling sound in my lungs which occurs occasionally when I lie down. It is a dry sound that is at the end of inspiration and from the bottom of my lungs. I have no other symptoms and am wondering what could be causing it.I have heard the same sounds only when I lie down and only when its quiet, they are very slight sounds, and again with no other symptoms. I mentioned to the doc, who couldnt hear anything untoward with a stethoscope, but of course I was sitting upright! These crackling or popping sounds are generally called "rales". Still a little concerned but as there are no other symptoms it wouldnt appear too serious.
  • I have not been able to see a dr. yet to ask about this "gurgling" sound.I have an appt. with pulmonologist this Friday. I will make sure I mention this symptom as well as others I am having, mostly shortness of breath. I have been miserable today. I think the humidity is playing a big factor in my problems.
    am i crazy? 2 Replies Flag this Response
  • Hello COBKA and am i crazy.well it looks like COBKA and I are in the same boat. I only get the crackling after having lain down for a half hour or so. It happens very consistently but also very slight, too slight to bother a doctor with. I wonder why they only take readings when you are sitting up? maybe because only then is it clinically significant.am I crazy; I hope you find relief,wb73
  • Me too! I've had this for a few years now.Yes I smoke, but I went for long periods of time without smoking and the sound never went away. I also used to work with cleaning products every day, and it was part of the reason I stopped housecleaning- I hoped the crackling would go away. I do have slight asthma, but I am almost certain it is mental, not physical. I am overweight and I am a 30 year old female.I wouldn't say mine sounds like it's coming from the bottom of my lungs. Sometimes I almost wonder if it is coming from my throat, it's so high up. I don't feel it, I only hear it. Clearing my throat and/or coughing don't help at all. I have mentioned it to doctors, but - AGAIN - they can't hear it when I am sitting up, and none seemed concerned.I am not necessarily CONCERNED, just annoyed, and it's hard to fall asleep to that sound. :(
  • Oh yeah, one more thing. As with others on this board, it is at the very end of exhaling. Sometimes if I breath lightly, not deeply, I can fall asleep before the sound starts, but it's hard to breath that way for long.
  • Gee, I wish they'd just let me edit what I wrote the first time! I keep thinking of things that may be relevant, and I want to add them. I don't know if editing is allowed later, but as I write this, my original comments haven't been approved by a moderator yet, so my only choice is to write yet another post.In addition to other medical possibilities, I also have a bit of acid reflux. I get heartburn frequently anyway. Not sure if it's related to the crackling sound in my lungs, but thought it was possible enough that I should mention it.Since I have seen asthma listed as the probability on this, and on other boards, I felt I should clarify WHY I think my asthma is mental, not physical.I have a hard time getting a full breath sometimes, but 1) It happens far more often when I am thinking about it; and 2) I can easily get around this problem simply by making a fist, putting the circle part that is created by my thumb and forefinger up to my mouth and breathing from it. WTF? I know. I have no idea what inspired me to do this the first time, but now it is the only way I can catch my breath fully when I am having trouble getting a deep breath.So it's mental. I don't really think I have asthma otherwise. If I do, it is very mild. Whereas the crackling in my lungs is very real and very irritating.I can't think of anything else relevant to my lung crackling to mention to you at this time. I hope to not have to write yet another post in an hour. :)I guess I will check back again at a later date to see if anyone has any new ideas about what is causing this.
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• ***n it. I knew I should have just registered. It probably would have let me edit, had I done it that way. How was I to know that I would keep having to add on?I'm sorry.I ALSO meant to tell you that when I wake up in the morning, I rarely, if EVER, cough anything up. I do think that's relevant, at least in ruling something OUT. If the sound was caused by fluid or congestion, not only would coughing/clearing my throat help, which it does not, but you would think I would wake up and have to hack, which I don't.So it's curious.
  • 28 y/o male here. I sometimes smoke and I get the exact same thing. Only happens when I lay down and it is usually when I wake up. It happens right at the end of a breath and feels like the bottoms of my lungs are crackling. Sometimes it even tickles.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 28, 2008
    • 08:01 PM
    Flag this Response
  • 33 yo male here. I get the same crackling. I get it when I'm sitting up or laying down. I have the flu at the moment and I am hacking up all kinds of fun stuff. I've got an appt with the Doc this morning, I'm going to hit him up about this. It's only at the end of exhailing and it is slightly tickly. Mine is very loud though, as in my wife can hear it if my mouth is open. Sounds like bubbles popping after you pour a can of soda into a glass. It is deffinatly comeing from my throat though.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 21, 2008
    • 02:53 PM
    Flag this Response
  • crackles: are the sounds made by the aveoli as they pop open or closed when made sticky by fluid or exudate as in CHF or consolidations of pnuemonias. The thickening of the bronchi as in bronchitis. crackles may be heard on insiration or experation. ( crackle and rale are the same thing) The sound of crackles is like the sound of hair being rubbed between fingers or a large amount of bubble wrap being twisted. They do not usually clear with a cough. May be positional.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 21, 2008
    • 03:01 PM
    Flag this Response
  • 33 yo male here. I get the same crackling. I get it when I'm sitting up or laying down. I have the flu at the moment and I am hacking up all kinds of fun stuff. I've got an appt with the Doc this morning, I'm going to hit him up about this. It's only at the end of exhailing and it is slightly tickly. Mine is very loud though, as in my wife can hear it if my mouth is open. Sounds like bubbles popping after you pour a can of soda into a glass. It is deffinatly comeing from my throat though. Keep in mind that if it is in your lungs, it will sound like it's coming from your throat.
    rm32644 2 Replies Flag this Response
  • well does the sound occur when you are lying on your stomach or on your back?
    Soroush 3 Replies Flag this Response
  • I just stumbled across this as I have the exact same thing, also at the end of a breath, also when I go to bed/am lying down. At the moment I have a bit of a cough, and slight congestion, nothing major, no other symptoms, but this crackling was happening before this started. It feels like it's at the top of my lungs, under my breastbone, if that makes sense.I am also worried about going to a doctor with it because it doesn't seem to happen 100% of the time and I can't 'make' it happen!
  • If it is of any interest to anyone, the crackling sounds in my throat or lungs upon inhaling has gone away, with no subsequent sore throat or negative follow up event. I have been taking an inhalant, Asmanex Twisthaler, at my Doctors recommendation, which I observe has improved my lung capacity and reduced my sinus issues, such that I no longer breath through my mouth at night. The instructions for taking it are a bit confusing at first, but after a week, it was the easiest of all my medications to take.
    rm32644 2 Replies Flag this Response
  • If it is of any interest to anyone, the crackling sounds in my throat or lungs upon inhaling has gone away, with no subsequent sore throat or negative follow up event. I have been taking an inhalant, Asmanex Twisthaler, at my Doctors recommendation, which I observe has improved my lung capacity and reduced my sinus issues, such that I no longer breath through my mouth at night. The instructions for taking it are a bit confusing at first, but after a week, it was the easiest of all my medications to take.I don't know if your health conditions allow you to work out but i would suggest running and perhaps taking Oxandrolone if you want to increase your lung capacity.
    Soroush 3 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement