Discussions By Condition: Medical Errors

Toothpick In The Foot, Get A Sonogram

Posted In: Medical Errors 18 Replies
  • Posted By: imhurt
  • October 26, 2006
  • 04:36 AM

I got up from my computer,walked toward the kitchen, and ouch! A toothpick went into the right side of my foot. I pulled it out, but only half of it was there. I thought that I got it all because it came out with the point in first.I thought that maybe I broke the pick and it fell onto the carpet. I didn't think I had health insurance so I doctored my foot by soaking it in a bowl of ebson salt pretty much every hour the first couple days. Every night,this stabbing pain in my foot got me out of bed, back to the soaking bowl.The Puss drained out and I tried pushing on the area where this pick went in to see if maybe the other half was in there, but it was too painful. Well a pain pill and back to bed I went. This went on like this for 17 days every day and night getting up so I decided to go to the doctor. I went to the walk in clinic in my town. My doctor put a needle in my foot, and scraped the top of the entrance hole. The nurse asked if I had a tetanus shot, Well the doctor replied" she don't have any insurance" and it is to late anyway if she got a tetanus shot, because it had been over 2 weeks. He sent me on my way. Well 5 days later, My foot pain was so painful, I decided to go to the walk in at the hospital. The doctor there gave me a tetanus shot and an x-ray. The x-ray didn't show anything in my foot. He would not touch my foot and suggested I see a surgeon.I told him I had an appointment scheduled for that next day with the town doctor again. Well thinking about this doctor not wanting to touch my foot, I wasn't going to let the town doctor cut into my foot too, so when I got home I left a message to cancel this appointment.
I went another 6 days in pain, but it was feeling a little better then normal. I started cleaning the house that I had been neglecting for the past weeks and my foot started to ache again. I got the bowl out again with the ebson salt and soaked my foot. By now the hole where the toothpick went in had closed, so I got a needle and opened it back up. This time, more puss came out and something hard was nearing the hole. I took my needle and brought it toward the hole and grabbed it with my tweezers. Sure enough, it was the other half of the toothpick 1 1/2" long!
I am telling everyone who reads this that if you or someone you know ever has something like this happen to them, GET A SONOGRAM.
I have read so much on the Internet after the fact. x-rays don't always pick wood up but a sonogram will.
Now all I have to worry about is not getting a bacteria infection!
Wait till them bills come in! I am going to reject them and send them my bill for getting the toothpick out myself.:mad:

Reply Flag this Discussion

18 Replies:

• Actually, I also had a similar situation. During my sophomore year in high school, I was walking around the house barefoot. I was working on a project dealing with toothpicks and gum drops, so I didn't realize there were some on the floor. Anyway, I went to ask my mother a question, when I step on a toothpick, and it also went up in the right side of my foot. I screamed like crazy, panic, and grab the toothpick out of my foot. My mother only saw half of the toothpick, and said the other half was still in my foot. She immediately rused me to the emergency room where they also took an x-ray of my foot. The doctors couldn't find nothing, and since I don't like hospitals in the first place, I was trying to reassure them that I was fine. Of course, my mother didn't feel the same, and they ended up digging in my foot to find the toothpick, despite the x-ray. Well, wouldn't you know they found the other half of the toothpick in my foot all bloody up. I was amaze that it was even possible. They ended up giving me like two stitches in the bottom of my foot. Of course, now my foot is forever swollen as an after effect, but it's still an interesting story. I'm one of those people who can never have normal accidents, but I'm glad I'm not the only one this has happen too. ^_^P.S. I never went barefoot in the house again, it's always good to wear house shoes.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 25, 2006
    • 10:34 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Oh my gosh I wish I would have read this at least a week ago. I personally did not get a toothpick in my foot my some how my son managed to get 2 stuck in the bottom of his foot. We took him to an urgent care place on a Sat. eve. They dug around the holes and came up empty handed. So I thought it must not have been as bad as it looked. Well a little over a week later on a Tues. we went back to the doctors because it was as he said "leaking green stuff". This time we saw a nurse practioner, and she told us it was infected. DUH!!! well she started draining the hole that was in the middle of his foot. (the other one was in his heel) While doing this out pops an inch long piece of tooth pick. Asked her to check the other hole but she said that one was fine. She never really checked it out at all. Gave us an RX for antibiotics and sent us on our way. That following Sat. I looked at his foot and the one hole where the tooth pick was found looked good but the one on the heel still was quite oozy. Back to the urgent care he went w. his dad. The same doc that saw him the first time was there. She said there was nothing in there but had x-rays taken. Nothing showed up on the x-ray so, that was that. Then yesterday, my son comes to me w/ a piece of tooth pick that was at least an inch and a half long that he got out of the heel of his foot!!!!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 7, 2006
    • 02:28 AM
    Flag this Response
  • i had the same thing one the way to the wash room i stepped on a tooth pick and i screamed in pain i pulled it out but half was still in there so I went to my parents and all night they tried getting it out so i ended up just going to bed that night in the morning we tried again and no luck so we went to the hospital and it took a while to get a nurse but after a while one came and it turned up there was a bit of the tooth pick in there i was so scared what it was going to hurt but they wash your foot with this brown cold stuff then stick a needle that has freezing stuff in it it hurt a bit but only for a sec and then they do a little insishtion and you can't fell any thing and it really helps if u cant see what is going on so don't look so you don't get worried because it could be worse so think about what other things have happend like this and how brave you are to let them do this . IT will hurt a little after but it means its healing so go to the hospital they help
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 30, 2006
    • 02:06 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Same thing happened to me! I was baking brownies and going between rooms in my apartment. When I remembered I forgot the brownies in the over and I ran into the kitchen and I felt a pain in the bottom of my foot! I sat down and looked at my foot, of which I was wearing a sock, and notices a toothpick. I pulled it out. I still felt the pain. I took of the sock and I had the other side of the toothpick in my foot. I tried to pull it out. It would not budge! I went to the walk in clinic, got a nice "Novocain shot" in my foot. The Doctor tried to pull it out with tweezers and it wouldn't budge. He then used a clamp it the sucker cam out! 2 inch tooth pick in my foot! It hurt bad! I was on crutches for about 5 days. I always wear shoes in the kitchen!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 9, 2007
    • 02:38 PM
    Flag this Response
  • So last night I too had a similar experience. I was moving furniture and, no idea why the ***l it was in my room, but somehow stepped on a toothpick that was apparently sticking up out of my floor. As I was too busy watching the furniture as I moved it, stepped straight on it and it probably went much deeper than I thought it did. So after reading the previous posts and becoming paranoid (the tip was missing from the toothpick after I pulled; I had no idea whether the tip was on when I stepped on it), I decided to schedule an appointment with the doctor in the morning to get the situation checked out just to make sure it was alright or get something done if it wasn't. Sure enough, there was the tip as well as a little extra of the toothpick when he pulled it out. Due to the nature of where it was (probably bent inside, much like the other end was bent on the floor), the doctor used Novocaine (it's not getting poked that hurts; it is the sensation they inject the stuff in that does.. like my third time) to reduce the pain when he pulled it out.As for exactly what part of the foot, it was my left foot about an inch away from the tiny toe and maybe half an inch inward on the foot going from the left end.. Toothpick in there was little more than a quarter inch. No puss or doctor incompetence to my story though, as he just I think filed down that section of my foot to check if anything was there (no x-ray or sonogram).So a good thing I found this thread as I would've just waited to see if on Monday morning it still hurt (happened on a Friday night), which by then there may have been ugliness. Found this by doing a late night search on google with:step on a toothpick
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 3, 2008
    • 01:02 AM
    Flag this Response
  • You guys should all form a club!!!:D :D
    Monsterlove 2,921 Replies
    • February 3, 2008
    • 08:03 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Toothpicks DO NOT show up in X-Rays. Something to do with their density. Seriously, on House MD, 2nd season, a boy accidentally ingests a toothpick which causes all sorts of haywire with his internal organs.So, toothpick in the foot? X-RAY WILL NOT HELP.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 14, 2008
    • 05:01 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I am SO glad that this sort of thing doesn't just happen to me. I, too, can never injure myself in normal ways. Heh. I stepped on a toothpick two days ago (and I think I still have a piece of it inside my foot).. I had to go to work yesterday and people were asking why I was limping. They all sort of laughed when I told them.. but I came here and found out that at least I'm not alone!! ;)I don't have insurance and I work on my feet, so I'm still trying to figure out where to go that I won't pay a ton of money. :(
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 27, 2008
    • 07:23 PM
    Flag this Response
  • to people that dont know this: the reason a x-ray and many other tests wont show wood is because the wood soaks up the fluid around it, making it invisable to pretty much every test
    LymeTime 65 Replies Flag this Response
  • yeah it has the same density as body tissue or something like that so it blends right in
    qwertyuiop123 453 Replies Flag this Response
  • I stepped on a toothpick about 11 hours ago and i cant even walk on it im almost positive that its not all out im going to the hospital as soon as i get the will to get up and hop my way to get dressed. It happened around 9PM last night n i havent gone to sleep yet it's 9:35 am. I will repost when i get back from the hospital.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• This is why I prefer dental floss. ;)
  • I just came upon this thread and I'm shocked to see how many people have stepped on toothpicks.. But I have a good one ... I stepped on a tooth pick when I was 11 years old.. There were 2 of them o the floor in my room( I don't know how they got there) So I stepped on it and I was screaming in pain we didn't see anything in my foot but didn't know if there was anything there cause one of the toothpicks on the floor was broken and the other was was still whole.. I went to the DR the next day and they did an Xray... NOTHING showed up as it wouldn't cause it's wood.. But if your a DR apparently you don't know this.. So we figured there was nothing there and the whole one had just punctured my foot... I went on with life as a normal kid after about 4 week cause my foot hurt for about that long.. 10 Years Later when I was 21 I got a weird bump on my foot and didn't know what it was from.. I went to the DR and they once again did an Xray and once again there was nothing there.. I told the DR that I had stepped on a tooth pick as a kid and she told me it couldn't be from that cause my body would have dissolved it by now if there was something in there.. They decided to do exploritory surgery.. Inside my foot was a toothpick almost 2inches long.. It had made a hole in my foot filled with fluid and covered itself with scaretissue and that's where it lived for 10 years.. When they removed it, it was in perfect condition I could have put it back in the box.. I now have severe nerve damage from this because of the amount of scartissue that was there.. If they would have taken it out in the begining I'm sure It would not have been bad.. I now have to wear an imobilizer boot cause I can't put on a shoe and I walk on the side of my foot cause walking with crutches after a year was just a pain so I started using the side of my foot to walk and balance my foot is now permanantly turned in.. It has now been 12 years since I had this surgery and no DR has ever been able to fix it.. So that's my toothpick story
    tooltymfan 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • WOW!!! You win the " best toothpick story" prize. Wish I could give you a nice prize.:eek:
    Monsterlove 2,921 Replies Flag this Response
  • Hahahahaha gee im joining the club . I ran outside to let my dog out and found it was too cold so I ran back in to get shoes and a sweater when boom I stepped on a toothpick my older son had been playing with. I took it out but I ran outside too quick to chase my dog and make sure he didn't get hit by a car that I didn't even notice if i got it all .It was sore all day but nothing major then at night I got a throbbing pain my foot swelled up and got real red. Now this morning Im still in pain and feel like there is a hard ball on my arch. Oh yeah im chasing after an infant and a four year old looks funny when im limping so thinking of going to urgent care tonight just notice a red streak oops Infection ughhhh!!!!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 16, 2009
    • 08:49 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Actually, I also had a similar situation. During my sophomore year in high school, I was walking around the house barefoot. I was working on a project dealing with toothpicks and gum drops, so I didn't realize there were some on the floor. Anyway, I went to ask my mother a question, when I step on a toothpick, and it also went up in the right side of my foot. I screamed like crazy, panic, and grab the toothpick out of my foot. My mother only saw half of the toothpick, and said the other half was still in my foot. She immediately rused me to the emergency room where they also took an x-ray of my foot. The doctors couldn't find nothing, and since I don't like hospitals in the first place, I was trying to reassure them that I was fine. Of course, my mother didn't feel the same, and they ended up digging in my foot to find the toothpick, despite the x-ray. Well, wouldn't you know they found the other half of the toothpick in my foot all bloody up. I was amaze that it was even possible. They ended up giving me like two stitches in the bottom of my foot. Of course, now my foot is forever swollen as an after effect, but it's still an interesting story. I'm one of those people who can never have normal accidents, but I'm glad I'm not the only one this has happen too. ^_^P.S. I never went barefoot in the house again, it's always good to wear house shoes.Just had that happen to me two days ago. Yesterday was the surgery and they pulled out more then half. I'm 17 and it was my dads fault this happened becuase he lea ves toothpicks EVERYWHERE!!!! The toothpick I had hit a tendon so I cant move my big toe.
  • This just happened to me yesterday... My dad pulled it out and doesn't seem to think there's anything left in there... Should I get it checked out? I haven't been able to walk since :(
  • This just happened to me yesterday... My dad pulled it out and doesn't seem to think there's anything left in there... Should I get it checked out? I haven't been able to walk since :( Yes, if you can't walk right and it hurts, you should get a sonogram, Don't get an xray as I did because the wood will NOT show up! I waited about a month and it kept me up every night with bad pain and I socked it and cryed alot, so don't let it get that bad as it was infected. It came out a month later but wasn't worth the pain and could have turned out worse! Most likely your dad may have only gotten half out as with mine , I stepped on it as it went in and it broke into 2 pieces with one half still in my foot.The doctor that I seen wanted me to see a foot surgern but I didn't have insurance. I hope everything goes well for you. Keep me updated. Add me to your bud list (imhurt) Karen
    imhurt 3 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement