Discussions By Condition: Medical Errors

Toothpick In The Foot, Get A Sonogram

Posted In: Medical Errors 0 Replies
  • Posted By: imhurt
  • October 26, 2006
  • 04:36 AM

I got up from my computer,walked toward the kitchen, and ouch! A toothpick went into the right side of my foot. I pulled it out, but only half of it was there. I thought that I got it all because it came out with the point in first.I thought that maybe I broke the pick and it fell onto the carpet. I didn't think I had health insurance so I doctored my foot by soaking it in a bowl of ebson salt pretty much every hour the first couple days. Every night,this stabbing pain in my foot got me out of bed, back to the soaking bowl.The Puss drained out and I tried pushing on the area where this pick went in to see if maybe the other half was in there, but it was too painful. Well a pain pill and back to bed I went. This went on like this for 17 days every day and night getting up so I decided to go to the doctor. I went to the walk in clinic in my town. My doctor put a needle in my foot, and scraped the top of the entrance hole. The nurse asked if I had a tetanus shot, Well the doctor replied" she don't have any insurance" and it is to late anyway if she got a tetanus shot, because it had been over 2 weeks. He sent me on my way. Well 5 days later, My foot pain was so painful, I decided to go to the walk in at the hospital. The doctor there gave me a tetanus shot and an x-ray. The x-ray didn't show anything in my foot. He would not touch my foot and suggested I see a surgeon.I told him I had an appointment scheduled for that next day with the town doctor again. Well thinking about this doctor not wanting to touch my foot, I wasn't going to let the town doctor cut into my foot too, so when I got home I left a message to cancel this appointment.
I went another 6 days in pain, but it was feeling a little better then normal. I started cleaning the house that I had been neglecting for the past weeks and my foot started to ache again. I got the bowl out again with the ebson salt and soaked my foot. By now the hole where the toothpick went in had closed, so I got a needle and opened it back up. This time, more puss came out and something hard was nearing the hole. I took my needle and brought it toward the hole and grabbed it with my tweezers. Sure enough, it was the other half of the toothpick 1 1/2" long!
I am telling everyone who reads this that if you or someone you know ever has something like this happen to them, GET A SONOGRAM.
I have read so much on the Internet after the fact. x-rays don't always pick wood up but a sonogram will.
Now all I have to worry about is not getting a bacteria infection!
Wait till them bills come in! I am going to reject them and send them my bill for getting the toothpick out myself.:mad:

Reply Flag this Discussion
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement