Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

sternum and/or xiphoid process inflammation- HELP!!

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 0 Replies
  • Posted By: janmarbol
  • July 2, 2008
  • 04:25 PM

I searched everywhere to see what organ/bone/muscle is in the area affecting me, and found that it might be xiphoid process.

There are times it takes my breath away as it seems to swell. Most of the time it worsens after eating or late in the day. There is no comfortable position and pressing on it seems to alleviate it while applying the pressure, or changing positions may help temporarily (even an inch can sometimes do the trick).

It goes from bothersome to almost painful, and it's hard to breath!! I have never injured the area either. If I wear a tight bra, it feels like someone is punching me. It becomes like a round ball; you can't see it, but you can definitely feel it.

Does anyone know if there an organ in the digestive tract behind the sternum and/or xiphoid process (lower sternum) that tends to swell and therefore apply pressure to the xiphoid process and make it seem like that's what's swelling?

I can't believe a cartilage/bone would swell from eating. I don't eat much either.

Help! What is this???

Reply Flag this Discussion
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement