Discussions By Condition: Medical Stories

Strange Chemical smell and taste

Posted In: Medical Stories 16 Replies
  • Posted By: Miaxx2
  • June 28, 2008
  • 06:21 PM

For about two and half weeks I have been getting this strange chemical smell and chemical taste in my mouth. All my food and drink taste terrible. Then, I started getting nauseated. It is driving me crazy. I will be going through a series of test, but would like some idea of what it might be? Any thoughts?

Reply Flag this Discussion

16 Replies:

• It could be a side effect from any medication or from the tests. Do a little research online about your particular side effects from whatever was injected. Here's your information:http://www.nyp.org/health/smell-taste-disorders.html Abnormalities in taste and smell can accompany or indicate the existence of diseases or conditions such as:obesitydiabeteshypertensionmalnutritiondegenerative diseases of the nervous system such as:Parkinson's diseaseAlzheimer's diseaseWhat causes smell and taste disorders?Although some people are born with chemosensory disorders, most are caused by: illness (i.e., upper respiratory infection, sinus infection)injury to the headhormonal disturbancesdental problemsexposure to certain chemicals certain medicationsexposure to radiation therapy for head or neck cancer
    Monsterlove 2,921 Replies Flag this Response
  • Does it smell and taste like cigarette smoke?(and you don't smoke nor are you around anyone who does)
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I have also had an intermittens strange chemical taste and smell for the past two years or so. The taste and smell are accompanied by an unfocusing of the eyes and a very strong urge to close my eyes and fall asleep. Sometimes I nod off no matter how hard I try to stay awake. I have seen a neurologist, had EEGs and sleep studies, to no avail. Just this week my doctor said he thinks I have an enlarged thyroid. Hopefully this is a step in the right direction. If anyone else out there is familiar with these symptoms, please let me know. Thanks.
    always_tired 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • This is due to allergies or a sinus infection. Get a Neti Pot and flush your sinuses. You should have immediate relief from the smell/taste.
  • Does it smell and taste like cigarette smoke?(and you don't smoke nor are you around anyone who does)yes i have an autoimmune disease, sjogrens, and i have a distorted taste and smell since i was sick with respitory and thrush mouth back in june and july it is driving me crazy.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 6, 2009
    • 09:55 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have also had an intermittens strange chemical taste and smell for the past two years or so. The taste and smell are accompanied by an unfocusing of the eyes and a very strong urge to close my eyes and fall asleep. Sometimes I nod off no matter how hard I try to stay awake. I have seen a neurologist, had EEGs and sleep studies, to no avail. Just this week my doctor said he thinks I have an enlarged thyroid. Hopefully this is a step in the right direction. If anyone else out there is familiar with these symptoms, please let me know. Thanks.i have been having a problem with smell and taste it is almost like nail polishish remover
  • For about two and half weeks I have been getting this strange chemical smell and chemical taste in my mouth. All my food and drink taste terrible. Then, I started getting nauseated. It is driving me crazy. I will be going through a series of test, but would like some idea of what it might be? Any thoughts?I have had this for a week or so, and anything like cigarettes, cologne/parfume causes me to smell a femeldehyde smell. It's getting worse everyday. Scheduling a Dr.'s appointment next week. I also just quit chewing tobacco after about 6 month of heavy chewing.... could be part of it????
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 21, 2010
    • 01:39 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I've had this issue too! I can't quiet explain the smell, it effects my taste buds as well... sweet foods I can still taste, but anything bland like nuts or bread is completely overrun by this smell/taste. I smell it more strongly in my urine, too. This started a month ago and is getting progressively worse...About 2 months ago I got a concussion after fainting, though at that time I went to the doctor and everything was "OK."It's driving me nuts!! I can't enjoy any food, and the smell of cigarettes/second hand smoke is absolutely unbearable, it's almost like a strong metallic-infused acetone type of smell that makes me gag when I smell it, and I was a smoker up until this occurred!Could it be my head injury that's doing this to me? I also had my wisdom teeth removed in June and am wondering if there may be some delayed complications from that? My jaw has been aching recently, though I have TMJ and dismissed it as that....
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 29, 2010
    • 03:11 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I've had this issue too! I can't quiet explain the smell, it effects my taste buds as well... sweet foods I can still taste, but anything bland like nuts or bread is completely overrun by this smell/taste. I smell it more strongly in my urine, too. This started a month ago and is getting progressively worse...About 2 months ago I got a concussion after fainting, though at that time I went to the doctor and everything was "OK."It's driving me nuts!! I can't enjoy any food, and the smell of cigarettes/second hand smoke is absolutely unbearable, it's almost like a strong metallic-infused acetone type of smell that makes me gag when I smell it, and I was a smoker up until this occurred!Could it be my head injury that's doing this to me? I also had my wisdom teeth removed in June and am wondering if there may be some delayed complications from that? My jaw has been aching recently, though I have TMJ and dismissed it as that....I also get the same smell and its getting me down, I've removed certain foods from my diet to see if this makes a difference and it dosent. I was recently diagnoised with a vitimin B12 deficiency and was told that this was one of the symptons - I had a course of injections and have to continue with these every 12 weeks, however the smell and taste has not gone away. Maybe worth getting your vitimin levels checked. Ann
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 7, 2010
    • 00:57 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have had this too for awhile now. My smelling and taste are so messed up, nothing smells or tastes good anymore, and all smells/tastes like a stong chemical, mixed with chocolate. I know it sounds weird but that's what it's like. Everything I smell or taste is exactly the same, except for bread, that's even worse. And pop, that's overpowering. I was in a really bad accident 6 months ago and got a tbi from it... but no major damage, not physical anyways... but I recovered mostly on my own and still can't go to the doctor even if I wanted to. It's driving me crazy. My head injuries were pretty severe, and it started after that so I know thats why, I just dont know how serious it is, medically.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 19, 2010
    • 09:11 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I can't believe that others have had this same experience! Sometimes I smell a strong odor of cigarette smoke, even though this house was vacant for years before we bought it (and only lived in very briefly before that), and no one here is a smoker. Then occasionally (like right now!), I small a STRONG chemical odor, sort of similar to some sort of solvent, but not exactly. I thought it came from my surroundings, but no one else in my family has ever smelled a thing, when I have mentioned it and asked them to check. It is not, as far as I can determine, body odor of any kind, or anything on my clothing. My sense of taste is not affected. I seriously thought I was going to be a victim of spontaneous combustion, and looked into that for a while. This is scary and very weird, and I would love some answers!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 4, 2011
    • 05:52 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• I have the same thing! I've been waking up in my sleep, not breathing and I'll get that smell in my nose. Is has started to happen when I'm awake as well. I start to get that smell and then it's like I seize up and have a hard time breathing. Has anyone had any responses from doctors about what this could be? I just went to my PCP, and they ordered a sleep sutdy and blood work. I thought it may be apnea at first too, but since it's happening in the day I don't know if that would be correct. Any help is appreciated!
  • At school someone broke a thermometer and it smelt of bacon.Not mercury which has no smell. Can you tell me what it is?
  • I also get the same smell and its getting me down, I've removed certain foods from my diet to see if this makes a difference and it dosent. I was recently diagnoised with a vitimin B12 deficiency and was told that this was one of the symptons - I had a course of injections and have to continue with these every 12 weeks, however the smell and taste has not gone away. Maybe worth getting your vitimin levels checked. AnnHI Ann,As trhe injections are likely cyancbl in the USA or Hycbl in the UK, and that methylb12 is 100-10,000 times as active and effective as these two inactive cobalamins, you might get different results. To do it right is a little more complicated than just buying any old brand and taking it any old way. Read the basics at http://forums.wrongdiagnosis.com/showthread.php?t=62327&page=2 and then come discuss it at http://forums.wrongdiagnosis.com/showthread.php?t=9948&page=411B12 deficiencies can indeed cause alterations of taste and smell and outright hallucinatory smells and tastes. If it is a specific CNS/CSF only deficiency then getting at it is more difficult.
    Freddd 3,576 Replies Flag this Response
  • I started smelling this chemical smell in my car, and thought it was the exhaust fumes coming through somewhere. but i could smell it in the shower. it was really strong for a while, then levelled out for a bit. In the last few weeks ive noticed it more and my byfriend cant smell it, nor my housemate, so he thought it was a bit odd. i went to the doctor yesterday and today they have taken bloods after a fast to check for diabetes... a friend of mine said her grandad was diagnosed due to smelling a chemical, but i cant find anything online about chemical smell and diabetes... ill let you know the results
  • Not only have I had a cigarette taste in my mouth (even though I haven't smoked for 7 years), my partner said my breath smelled as though I had been smoking, to the extent that she thought I had started up again in secret.I got the taste again today after eating a strong flavoured foot long sub from Subway, which should have overpowered anything, and am a little worried.I have had a bad cough, and wondered if the last remnants of tar from my lungs were coming out, unlikely as that probably is!
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement