Discussions By Condition: Eye conditions

Blackout for a few seconds

Posted In: Eye conditions 18 Replies
  • Posted By: fishy4
  • June 16, 2008
  • 03:32 AM

Ok, i am 15 turning 16 and i have started having this blackout problem which started a few month's ago. If i stand up or sitdown or move really, i will sometimes have a 5-15 second blackout where i loose all my senses and if im standing have to hold on to something to avoid falling over, which doesn't always work, and i end up falling straight backwards. They happen around 5-10 times a week. And im really getting sick of them, becuase it'll look really strange if i just fall over backwards in front of people. But some things that i find have helped are when i feel them coming, i sit down and they aren't as bad, but i still loose my vision, and all my senses go. Also they are really bad if i wake up and go have a shower, i will have to quickly sit down, or i will almost always fall down. It also could be the heat, but i highly doubt it cause it usually happens in my basement up here in Canada. If thats any help. So if anyone could help me or point me in the right direction cause i am so lost!:confused:
I will check back and reply to anyone who posts.
Hope you can help.

Reply Flag this Discussion

18 Replies:

• What you describe I have experienced for the past 40 years, since I was about your age. I find that it gets worse if I am dehydrated. When I drink lots of water it helps, but does not solve all of the problems. I also have low blood pressure. I think the two are related. I have asked physicians about the problem, but have never gotten a good response.Now when I get up, I sit up first until I feel my heart catch up and start pumping. After that I am fine.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • OMG!This is exactly what happens to me.It started about two years ago when i almost fainted from dehydration, and now it happens almost daily.I've never actually fallen backwards but everything kinda goes black for a while and i have to stop and hold on to something while i wait for my vision to come back. Usually it happens right when i wake up and try to get up or just after i stand. It has never happened when I sit down. It's so strange and i've never had anyone give a good reason for it.
  • I DO THAT 2 but im 13 and my body gose tingly, like when your foot falls asleep. Then it last about a minute. I can't hear, see, taste, and feel its SUPER SCARY! I lose my balance first so i hold on to something. Then my senses go. The frist time it happaned in school at the top of the stairs! Ofcorse i fell, but i was freeked about what happened! Now i get the them about 5-10 times aday! ITS SOOOOOOOOO WERID!! Can someone help? PEASLE!!!!
  • Could be a form of neurological disorder such as a seizure; there are different kinds of seizures, or it could be some form of heart disease. ask your doctor to see a cardiologist. You could probably benefit from a 24 hour holter machine to monitor the heart and an EEG to monitor brain waves. would be good to have it on when all that is happening, would give the doc some history and more information. Let the doctor check your c-reactine protein for inflammation, check your your joints for pain and check your iron level in the body.
  • it may be beacause of a heart problem. because that started happening to me about a year ago and soon after i was diagnosed with a heart murmur if it keeps happening contact a doctor and see if you need to be checked by a cardioligist, it may also be because of growth. hope this helped :)
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 31, 2009
    • 05:13 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Guys,Nothing So Serious........its Just Because Of Low Blood Pressure....Just have Loads Of Salt...take Lemonade 7-8 Times A day...!!! Its Definitely Gonna Help....!!!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 12, 2009
    • 02:39 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Yep, don't worry - it's just because of low blood pressure. I'm 20 now and that has been happening to me for the last 7 years, no big problem at all though.
  • I'm 17 and I've only just started to get these symptoms. I'm a female and it's been a week since I've been blacking out. I thought it was a "one-timer" and I haven't really thought much of it. But as the days went along, I kept noticing that I was blacking out. I haven't had any other symptoms (or I'm not very aware of them) and I'm starting to worry because I blacked out about 4 times, each longer than the one before. I'm sure I wasn't sleeping because I wasn't tired at the time I was blacking out on, however I've noticed that I've been getting tired more easily. Could it have anything to do with sleep deprivation?
  • It not only caused by low blood pressure. It happened to me really bad when I was 15. I fell down and was out for a minute or two. It happens to me periodically since then. I can't really see any reall pattern except ti seems to happen more frequently when I'm out in the sun and seems to come in spurts. I can sometime go a few months without it happening, but when it does I would guess when it happens its like 2 or 3 times a week. I generally drink fluids, mostly water and iced tea, constantly (I don't drink alcohol at all) so I don't think its dehydration.MY BLOOD PRESSURE IS FINE. My bad cholesterol is excellent, but my good cholesterol is low, so that does put me at risk of heart disease, but doctors haven't found anything there.
  • I am fourteen and this has been happening to me for years. I think since I was about 9 or 10 Its recently gotten to where I black out twice a day somedays im worried if my senses will ever go back. My mom tells me that im eating to much sugar but im pretty sure thats not it.
  • Not that any of you have this, but I have fainting spells and occasionally black-out or near fainting spells, and the most likely suspects for me are POTS (postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome) and/or neurocardiogenic syncope (NCS, also know as neurally mediated hypotension or vaso vagal syncope). They're both forms of autonomic nervous system dysfunction, or dysautonomia. POTS is a more complicated condition usually involving a lot of other symptoms, but NCS is simply a drop in blood pressure when you stand up resulting in fainting (blood can be normal the rest of the time, although mine is always low), and is fairly common in young women. Home treatment for these is pretty simple: stand up slowly, drink lots of water, and increase your salt intake. Other things that might help are getting rid of caffeine, not eating anything that will give you a big sugar rush, and taking in a deep breath as you're standing up. For those of you who haven't gone to the doctor about this yet, you should in case there's something more serious going on. Blackouts and near fainting spells can be dangerous if they happen on stairs, while driving a car or operating machinery, or if they cause you to fall around things that would be bad to hit your head on (I've had the worst luck with bathrooms...and doorways and walls don't feel too good either). I wish you all good luck, and if you have any questions, feel free to ask...I've probably experienced it or researched it to death!
    musicaholic440 2 Replies Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• :pi experience this alot too. i hate it so much cause when im late for something i just get up quickly and i just fall back down or walk around like a drunk person. i feel cross-eyed and really dizzy. i cant even walk staight. i have to sit down for a few seconds until my body get put together. lol .
    bubbles:\ 4 Replies
    • August 14, 2010
    • 04:52 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have a 13 year old brother who has these episodes of blacking out. One time he was hugging my sister and just fell right on top of her..luckily there was a bed behind her. Its not everyday..about 2 or 3 times a week. He has seen cardiologist, neurologist, and has had over night test done and even had some net around his head to test his brain activity. After all that they found nothing too major. Although they did find that he has low blood pressure...so i dont think its too big to worry but make sure you get checked!! You can never be too careful.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 7, 2010
    • 07:28 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Does anyone have strange thoughts when they blackout? I get lightheaded and then a strange thought comes into my mind like I am dreaming and then after about 15 seconds I am fine, but can't remember the thought during the blackout.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 15, 2010
    • 08:11 PM
    Flag this Response
  • i do not understand it i ask from many persons they do not describe reason of black i also have this problem some time when i tired
    Chatwin 4 Replies
    • December 23, 2010
    • 07:17 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Aloha All, I have a few questions I would like to ask which that haven't been mentioned in all that I've read. First alittle back ground. My son is 17 and has been working out for about 2 years ( lifting weights and running ). Also he has tried many different diet technics. Technics that body builders and strength trainers are using today, ( he's constently doing research on the internet ). He does not use drugs or supplements to enhance growth or endurance, he's all natural. His future plan is to hopefully become a professional nutritionalist. Here's my questions, could diet be a cause of blacking out and these stabbing headaches,? - could a constent change in both work out routines and diet be a cause ,? He's in perfect health and just passed a physical a week ago for employment. Stress is minimal and he gets eight hours of rest everyday. His symptoms started 3 days ago, he wakes up in the morning goes to the bathroom across the hall to wash his face and blacks out . He awakes on the floor, comes down stairs to tell me and then has a hellatious stabbing pain headache that lasts between 1 to 5 minutes and it brings him to tears. This has happened all three days, and just in the morning after waking up, nothing else thru the rest of the day or evening. We plan to go to our regular doctor on Monday 11-11-2013 but after reading these blogs and my own thoughts, I feel he will not have an answer. So, in all, my question is could life style and diet be a cause to these symptoms? Thanks for reading and your thoughts. Aloha, Kamaka's Dad
    kamaka 1 Replies
    • November 9, 2013
    • 10:04 PM
    Flag this Response
  • i'm male 6.3ft and i'm 17 years old, when i get it i usually
    blackout when i stand up but i get dizzy and light headed first then i fall on my face and one happened just a minute ago
    Anonymous 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • doctor said it was normal, i have it too but i only loose sight. I guess that the blood flow is momentarily cut-off from a part of a body, as i'm sick right now with mucus and some drips down to my lungs and my heart is beating at 2x the speed.
    Anonymous 1 Replies
    • October 20, 2014
    • 00:47 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement