Discussions By Condition: Nerve conditions

Sharp surface skin pain on my knee

Posted In: Nerve conditions 23 Replies
  • Posted By: rick83
  • June 13, 2008
  • 02:32 AM

I got a new mattress recently, and it's got a thick pillow top. When I get into my bed normally, I put my knee in and swivel into bed. After doing this on my new bed a few times, I have a sharp pain in the skin on my knee. It's fine afterward, and doesn't look any different at all. There is a small area around where it hurts that I can't feel when I scratch it anymore. Now it only hurts when I hit it in a certain way. Specific things are when kneeling on a hard surface, or squatting down. I'll just about forget about it, and then it will hit and I'll nearly loose balance. :(

My initial reaction is that it's nerve damage. Is there anything I can do to remedy this? Or do I just have to wait it out and try to keep off of it?

Rick

Reply Flag this Discussion

23 Replies:

• I have the same thing most of the times i don't fell anything but some times i can just touch it and i would fell pain it that area, pain are can be the size of a penny and it always is. I this think this the nerve, i did go for ultra sound of my leg specially in that are but for something else so if they find anything i will let you know. But the best thing for you is to see your doctor, its probably nothing bust still go check u self
    max001 9 Replies Flag this Response
  • I have recently had this same thing. I have a numb place on my skin surface that I can't feel when I scratch it as well. But, bending my knee past a certain extent & it is sharp & excruciating. I did nothing to cause it trauma wise. It starts to get better, then, I bend it too far & it's all come backDennispancadinha@aol.com
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 19, 2008
    • 04:10 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I have recently had this same thing. I have a numb place on my skin surface that I can't feel when I scratch it as well. But, bending my knee past a certain extent & it is sharp & excruciating. I did nothing to cause it trauma wise. It starts to get better, then, I bend it too far & it's all come back Dennis pancadinha@aol.com I have same symptoms on my left knee. A numb spot just slightly below the knee. Lost the touch sensation. When I bend knee I have sharp pain. Pain seems to come from the skin level and not from muscle or bones. Saw a dermatologist and an ortho. They couldn't figure any thing. Went to neurologist. He did some tests but not able to figure any thing. One possible reason he thinks is frequent crossing of knees. If any one has any diagnosis please share. I will pass on whatever info I gather.
    karuna 2 Replies
    • October 11, 2009
    • 01:25 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Please advise I have same problem I have same symptoms on my left knee. A numb spot just slightly below the knee. When I bend knee and touches with surface I have sharp pain. Pain seems to come from the skin level only
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Please advise I have same problem I have same symptoms on my left knee. A numb spot just slightly below the knee. When I bend knee and touches with surface I have sharp pain. Pain seems to come from the skin level onlyFolks I have exactly the same problem. Started about a week ago. Did anyone figure out what this is? The skin is thick, feels like it gets stretched, sharp pain when bending or touching the ground in a particular angle, loss of sensation to a certain extent
  • Folks I have exactly the same problem. Started about a week ago. Did anyone figure out what this is? The skin is thick, feels like it gets stretched, sharp pain when bending or touching the ground in a particular angle, loss of sensation to a certain extentFolks....exactly the same symptoms you all claim. Mine is below the left knee on the shin....sharp needle pain on the front of the shin. Same loss of sensation and feeling. Depress my finger nail into the skin when this occurs and can not feel it. Also thought this was nerve related. Anyone have any other theories? Mine occurs getting into bed or during yoga class.
  • I found this thread looking for relief from my "skin pain" under my left kneecap. Is weird! Totally pain-free except for when knee is bent and then when it touches something, like when I'm getting into bed or getting down on the floor. Can't figure it out! Started about four months ago and is slowly getting worse.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 10, 2010
    • 10:54 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I found this thread looking for relief from my "skin pain" under my left kneecap. Is weird! Totally pain-free except for when knee is bent and then when it touches something, like when I'm getting into bed or getting down on the floor. Can't figure it out! Started about four months ago and is slowly getting worse.Wow, can't believe this... I have identical (weird, random) issue. I even first discovered it when rubbing the kneecap in bed. Slightly numb... and very sharp surface pain when at weird angles, but especially if I pull the skin to the side (from the inside toward the outside -- just left knee). Freaky. If anyone gets a diagnosis that sounds plausible, please e-mail vmac13 -at- gmail.com Thanks,Vance
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 13, 2010
    • 05:02 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I am yet another with the same darned problem! Surely, with so many on this forum alone reporting very similar symptoms, someone somewhere must be getting a diagnosis. I also have a foam-top bed and a few weeks ago I started getting a burning pain if my right leg below the knee rubbed the under-sheet as I got into bed. Now, the skin to the right of the shin (from around an inch below the top of the shin's top) is pretty numb to finger pressure, descending about an inch down the leg. Kneeling is not at all pleasant either; in fact, I wonder if that is what kicked off the problem. A damaged nerve might indeed explain it? Digging in a finger tip hard then working it around causes a sensation of discomfort. If I slap that area of the leg around a bit till it reddens, some feeling seems to return temporarily. Tapping there feels pretty normal - it's the skin surface where the numbness is most noticeable. Keith H.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 22, 2010
    • 09:15 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Exact same symptoms. Oddly enough, discovered getting into bed. Did anyone get a diagnosis?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 16, 2010
    • 08:54 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Exact same symptoms. Oddly enough, discovered getting into bed. Did anyone get a diagnosis?I have the same thing also, have had for a few months, only thing I can think of is I'm driving a new truck and am sitting a little higher than normal and have to stretch my foot to reach the pedal? Sure wish a doctor or PT would comment.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 25, 2010
    • 06:35 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• Exact same symptoms. Oddly enough, discovered getting into bed. Did anyone get a diagnosis?I guess I'm glad I'm not alone with these odd symptoms, but mine started when I fell a couple weeks ago. I thought it was just a bad scrape, but that's almost entirely healed. I've been noticing some pain getting into bed, and find the skin is kind of numb to the touch. But tonight I was on my knees trying to fish something out from under the couch to calm the dog down, and had sudden, excruciating pain. Yet my knee looks completely normal, and I can move it just fine. I am also thinking there's some kind of nerve involvement. If I get it figured out I will post here -appreciate anyone else doing the same.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 30, 2010
    • 01:07 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Same issues here. Pain below right knee when kneeling or moving leg sideways, as described, foam top bed (but several years old)Was diagnosed with shingles on back of my head on right side several years ago. The pain, tingling never went away. I was always concerned that was mis-diagnosed cause still have pain 2 years later.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 5, 2010
    • 05:19 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Not sure if this is the same as most are posting but I had a SHARP skin surface type of pain on my left elbow a couple of years ago.It felt like a bee sting or being stuck with a needle. The pain was just on the surface of the skin and ANY contact with the skin would cause it to sting. Even the contact of my shirt on the skin would cause it to sting like heck. My doctor said it was probably an inflamed bursa or nerve bundle.Anyway, it got so anoying that I had surgury and they removed a bursa and some other thing I don't remember, and the stinging has never returned. Never got a real diagnosis, but at least the sting is gone.
    rodnsue 3 Replies
    • January 20, 2011
    • 07:22 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Ok - I have the same thing! found this thread and can not believe - basically hurts when getting into bed - if I rotate on my left knee (pillowtop mattress!) - ouch! Feels like I skinned my knee - but I did not. no visible bruising. If any one finds out what this is about = please post!!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 17, 2011
    • 00:35 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I had it for the last month as well and found this message board. What I had is some anti-inflammatory ointment from Ukraine that contains Delphínium and Vit E.(http://russianfooddirect.com/rus/store/123/health-beauty/medicin-cabinet/medical-creams-ointments/ointment-dr-theissen-with-larkspur_item4570.html). I bought at the Russian store/pharmacy a while ago and never used. I decided to try it on the knee skin and massage it. I did it for 4 days twice a day. Surprisingly, the pain is gone! I'm not trying to sell anything here, just sharing my experience. Maybe it will help someone else... Try finding any kind of anti-inflammatory ointment in natural stores and try it out.
  • Wow - I too have the exact thing you guys are describing. I thank whoever started this thread, but I would love to see someone like a dr. answer what they think it is. I am very worried.
  • Wow - I too have the exact thing you guys are describing. I thank whoever started this thread, but I would love to see someone like a dr. answer what they think it is. I am very worried.I have exactly the same on my right knee again discovered in bed! ;)...... anyway would be good to find a cause / cure for it!
  • I have exactly the same on my right knee again discovered in bed! ;)...... anyway would be good to find a cause / cure for it!I went to my doctor with similar symptoms to those described in this thread, and he diagnosed mild bursitis (also known as housemaid's knee when it affects the knee). He says there's no point treating it if it's not affecting day-to-day life, but if necessary they can drain off excess fluid with a hypodermic, although it may well come back.
  • I just got this....in bed the other day and rolled over, slight stretch on skin just under left knee cap...outside of leg and had about 2x2 inch area that felt like it was on fire. Seemed to just be the skin....i cannot figure it out.....just out of the blue...i can replicate the pain...light press on skin just under left knee with a press outward and the burn and pain goes nuts......i do notice that a large area around there get a little warm and numb when i do this...also if I bend my knee certain ways it does not do it....this seems to indicate its maybe a nerve thing.....anyone any clue?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 17, 2011
    • 04:14 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement