Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Dry red leather-like patch on knee, itchy, patches come off.

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 1 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • June 12, 2008
  • 09:31 PM

I've had a dry patchy area on my knee for a few years. I've tried anti-fungal cremes, hydrocortizone, stuff like that, but it never goes away. It looks like treated leather, or a desert, and the raised area's can come off when scratched. It is often red, or pink in color, and doesn't seem to bleed much. If it is scratched deep enough, blood can be seen, but never runs or anything. I was wondering if anyone might know what this specifically is, and have any idea's of what I can do? I am very self-conscious about it, and have become fed up with it.

Reply Flag this Discussion

1 Replies:

• It's possible that it is what they call a shagreen patch or eczema. It is related to other disorders. One being Tuberous Sclerosis. My son has TS and we go to the neuro. and he is alsways checking for patches like you have discribed. Not saying that you have TS but def. have a doc look at it and not tell you it's nothing. there is def an underlying problem.eczema web http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eczema
    cookieb121 2 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement