Discussions By Condition: Ears, Nose, Mouth & Throat conditions

Painful mouth swelling due to salt & vinegar chips.

• Posted By: Irenthel
  • June 10, 2008
  • 08:03 PM

Yesterday, while eating salt & vinegar chips, I noticed that they were burning my mouth. Now, that's not entirely unusual, but this was very extreme pain. However, being the idiot that I am, I finished them.

Now, some of my taste-buds are pained, and the inside of my bottom lip feels like somebody put a cotton ball inside it. To make matters worse, every time I open or close my mouth, my teeth scrape against this swelling, which brings about a whole new world of pain. I actually gave up on eating lunch today because all it was doing was making things worse.

I know that the chips caused this, but I'd really like to know what I could do to make the pain go away, and the swelling go down. Any ideas? :)

Reply Flag this Discussion

2 Replies:

• Yesterday, while eating salt & vinegar chips, I noticed that they were burning my mouth. Now, that's not entirely unusual, but this was very extreme pain. However, being the idiot that I am, I finished them. Now, some of my taste-buds are pained, and the inside of my bottom lip feels like somebody put a cotton ball inside it. To make matters worse, every time I open or close my mouth, my teeth scrape against this swelling, which brings about a whole new world of pain. I actually gave up on eating lunch today because all it was doing was making things worse. I know that the chips caused this, but I'd really like to know what I could do to make the pain go away, and the swelling go down. Any ideas? :) I have similar issues...can't figure it out, other than food allergy &/or affects of salt. But have you taken a benadryl type med to get the swelling down? Also use a spray or mouth rinse that is specifically for dry mouth.
    TripleZ 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • Yesterday, while eating salt & vinegar chips, I noticed that they were burning my mouth. Now, that's not entirely unusual, but this was very extreme pain. However, being the idiot that I am, I finished them. Now, some of my taste-buds are pained, and the inside of my bottom lip feels like somebody put a cotton ball inside it. To make matters worse, every time I open or close my mouth, my teeth scrape against this swelling, which brings about a whole new world of pain. I actually gave up on eating lunch today because all it was doing was making things worse. I know that the chips caused this, but I'd really like to know what I could do to make the pain go away, and the swelling go down. Any ideas? :)I have the same problem when eating salt and vinegar chips. I haven't found anything that makes the pain go away other than stopping eating the chips and wait a few hours for it to die down. I wish I had something that would help you. Only advice I can give is to not eat them. lol Salt and vinegar chips are my top choice for chips and I only eat them once or twice a year because of the pain it causes. Good luck.
    xdunlapx 4 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement