Discussions By Condition: Injury

Neck/Arm Injury, now I have nerve damage?

Posted In: Injury 0 Replies
  • Posted By: BleakChic
  • June 6, 2008
  • 03:40 AM

About a month or so ago I was in a car accident on the interstate. I was going the speed limit, the woman behind me unfortunately was not... I was rear ended and thankfully made it out with everything more or less still attatched. I didn't feel any pain at first, but after about an hour I started to feel pain in my fingers then it moved it's way up until my fingers, wrist, shoulder, and neck all hurt. I went to the ER and they made sure nothing was broken and sent me home with some anti-inflamitorys.

About two days later the pain and swelling was so horrible that I went back to the ER. They gave me a shot for the pain, some pain pills, and muscle relaxers. I had been diagnosed with a sprained shoulder and various muscle strains, etc. The pills did absolutely nothing for me besides make me very sleepy. I mostly didn't take them and just waited for the swelling to go down. Well, when it did the numbness I had previously felt in my fingers didn't go away, plus I was still in slight pain. Just the nagging sort. I couldn't grip with my hand with all the swelling, but when it went down I still couldn't. Also my fingers are now prone to twitching and moving on their own, and I always feel like I have muscle spasms going on in my forearm and bicep. My neck sometimes still hurts, but not as bad. Also, the joint at my shoulder cracks ALOT. Like if I move my arm up or down, it cracks hard and loud.

I went to a Primary Care Physician and was told that there is probably nerve damage. I'm schedualed to go to a nurologist next week. I guess my question is, how likely is it that it's nerve damage? Consitering the symtoms (after almost two months on the mend) how bad could it be? How long can it take to recover from something like this and what's involved in the recovery? I relise that no one here is going to know for sure, but I'd just like an idea of what I might have to deal with if it is nerve damage.

I'm just really scared about all this. I'm a 23 year old cosmotology student and I was a little over two weeks away from graduating when this happened and it's my primary hand that's injured. This could wreck my career before it ever gets off the ground. :(

Reply Flag this Discussion
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement