Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

? Complication after vnus closure

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 28 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • June 4, 2008
  • 00:34 AM

I had a vnus closure procedure done Mar 27. I wore the support hose for 2 weeks after. I did not have any problems at this point. About 3 weeks later I started having pain in my right lower quadrant. Vnus closure drs ruled out embolus, essentially told me it did not have anything to do with the procedure. After having an abd and pelvic ct, and pelvic us and ruling out gyn issues, I went to a vascular surgeon for a 2 nd opinion. He told me it was directly related to the surgery, and that if I started wearing the hose again it would go away. I did that and he was right. Now comes the weird stuff. I have started having tingling in the ends of my fingers, "foggy" feeling, and occasionally elevated bp. I realized theses symptoms were worse when I was wearing the hose, so I stopped wearing them several days ago. The symptoms get worse as the day goes on. I have had several labs drawn, pending results. I am 50 yrs old, non-smoker, moderate drinker, no health issues except hypothyroid. Any ideas about what I need to do to figure out what is wrong would be greatly appreciated!

Reply Flag this Discussion

28 Replies:

• I had a vnus closure procedure done Mar 27. I wore the support hose for 2 weeks after. I did not have any problems at this point. About 3 weeks later I started having pain in my right lower quadrant. Vnus closure drs ruled out embolus, essentially told me it did not have anything to do with the procedure. After having an abd and pelvic ct, and pelvic us and ruling out gyn issues, I went to a vascular surgeon for a 2 nd opinion. He told me it was directly related to the surgery, and that if I started wearing the hose again it would go away. I did that and he was right. Now comes the weird stuff. I have started having tingling in the ends of my fingers, "foggy" feeling, and occasionally elevated bp. I realized theses symptoms were worse when I was wearing the hose, so I stopped wearing them several days ago. The symptoms get worse as the day goes on. I have had several labs drawn, pending results. I am 50 yrs old, non-smoker, moderate drinker, no health issues except hypothyroid. Any ideas about what I need to do to figure out what is wrong would be greatly appreciated!I have a relative with similar problems and wonder if you havemade any progress? Happy to compare notes. Bruno
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 23, 2009
    • 09:32 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have a relative with similar problems and wonder if you havemade any progress? Happy to compare notes. Brunomy name is Dave & my home is Cornwall in the uk,i had venus undertaken at my local hospital only 10 days ago,i have been in terrible pain ever since with the leg swollen to twice the normal size & the feeling that my leg has been drenched in petrol & set alight,i,ve been back to see the surgeon & he told me i'm in the 2% of people that has a reaction in this way.he told me to exercise as this would help (may i say i can't get a pair of shoes or any other footwear on,have had no sleep or rest)so how does he think i'm going on walks!!!!!!!I know not what the outcome is going to be but expect more help & information, in this, 2010!!!!!!!!!ps i'm taking 500mg solpadol,dicloflex 50mg & ibruprofen gel to rub on effected area.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 7, 2010
    • 09:54 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I also had a VNUS Closure procedure. ALL i EVER read is how wonderful it was, that 80% of patients went back to normal activities, and how it was a 72 hrs. recovery. Well I wonder how much money those people got paid. Now that I had mine 3 months ago and I am actually doing some deeper research, I say the remedy was worse than the illness. I have had pain (nerve damage) for the last 3 months. The Dr. says that just because I didn't have pain before the surgery, it means that is related to it, basically washing his hands of the situation. He says he has never had any issues like that in the past, and said I can expect to be better in about a year. that the nerve damage due to that VNUS closure will eventually get better. He never admitted that all my problems are due to the VNUS closure, but accepted that it could be nerve damage. Well, I am in pain, I have a bruise that will not go away and STILL have to wear my support hoses, so What was the benefit of having a VNUS CLOSURE? The answer is NONE. I would never recommend having this done. it was done nothing but damage. I hope this can help someone.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I just had my second leg done yesterday -- no complications on the first, but woke up to a swollen ankle and foot today -- the bandage was too snug, I believe. Getting the pressure bandage just right is very tricky, since too loose makes it fall down, and too tight makes for swollen feet. Mild exercise - just walking around, or light exercise in the pool is the best solution to getting the blood flowing again in the right veins.Best advice is to check out the doctor who will do the operation - interview him or her about successes and failures and check out complaints online -- also check with your top Cardiologist for a recommendation.
  • I had a vnus closure procedure done Mar 27. I wore the support hose for 2 weeks after. I did not have any problems at this point. About 3 weeks later I started having pain in my right lower quadrant. Vnus closure drs ruled out embolus, essentially told me it did not have anything to do with the procedure. After having an abd and pelvic ct, and pelvic us and ruling out gyn issues, I went to a vascular surgeon for a 2 nd opinion. He told me it was directly related to the surgery, and that if I started wearing the hose again it would go away. I did that and he was right. Now comes the weird stuff. I have started having tingling in the ends of my fingers, "foggy" feeling, and occasionally elevated bp. I realized theses symptoms were worse when I was wearing the hose, so I stopped wearing them several days ago. The symptoms get worse as the day goes on. I have had several labs drawn, pending results. I am 50 yrs old, non-smoker, moderate drinker, no health issues except hypothyroid. Any ideas about what I need to do to figure out what is wrong would be greatly appreciated!The more I read, the more I realize how NOT EASY and NOT WONDERFUL the VNUS closure procedure is. I have nothing but pain where there was none before. I had a bit achy legs at the end of the day, which I still have, plus bruises and sensitive skin due to the VNUS closure. My review for VNUS closure is this: If the pain is not bad enough, don't get it. Mine was not worth it. I wear the compression hoses and they help. So far, the VNUS closure has given me lots of complications. Including possible burnt skin and or nerve damage, and unable to stop using my hoses, which the VNUS closure was supposed to take care of.
  • I'm about to have the procedure done. My brother had the procedure, and said he was in severe pain for almost a year. I have thin blood, ie; bleeding problems, and am worried after reading these posts. Any suggestions?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 18, 2010
    • 07:18 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I'm about to have the procedure done. My brother had the procedure, and said he was in severe pain for almost a year. I have thin blood, ie; bleeding problems, and am worried after reading these posts. Any suggestions?I had it done one month ago. I am having more problems now than I did before I had the VNUS. I had it done originally about 5 years ago on the same leg and it didn't really help. I put it off for quite awhile and finally decided recently to try it again. I am one month post op and now have a new huge vein bulging out of my lower leg. I am also having problem with the veins around the top of my foot and ankle which makes it very hard to wear ankle socks and shoes and any kind. I am going back to the doctor tomorrow to see what the problem is. I am tired of not being able to do things that I had no problem doing before I had this procedure. I used to work out 6 days a week. Used to be able to run several errands during the day, now my leg and foot throb after being on my feet for a short period of time. I would get a second opinion if I were you. I wish I did.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 19, 2010
    • 01:44 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I am 38 years old. I had my VNUS closure done 2 years ago and than I had a few varicose veins removed several months later one which had a recurring blot clot in the knee supposedly because the saffenous vein that wasn't working properly which is why I had VNUS done initially. Well I recovered quickly within a few days and was taking care of my kids. 2 years later I still can't feel part of my knee and still have some "bruises" left over that won't go away and now I have a bulging vein on my inner thigh which occured about 8-12 months after both procedures. I was told the VNUS would take care of any varicose veins which it did not. I was also told there would be no complications or problems relate to my other veins handling the additional blood flow. Well I have an appt today to discuss this with the surgeon because I haven't been able to wear shorts or a skirt with no hose since. I'll let you know the results.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 29, 2010
    • 02:13 PM
    Flag this Response
  • i had the vnus procedure done two months ago. Since that time I have had nothing but excruciating pain in my lower left quadrant. Was supposed to relieve severe edema in left leg, which it hasnt, and was described as a painless procedure. I have had ct scans done with negative results, and now can not move without extreme pain in my groin and kidney area. Have urinated blood on a few occasions and feel like i have been kicked in the left testicle. Havent had any relief from the pain for several days and feel like death is my only avenue of escape. Doctors have repeatedly stated that the procedure had nothing to do with the current pain. All I know is that there wasnt any pain prior to the vnus procedure, and now there is. Any advice for pain relief without narcotics would be greatly appreciated. Worst pain I have ever experienced, and I am a laryngeal cancer survivor and know a little about pain. Thank you...
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 15, 2010
    • 10:25 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I endured this procedure last month. I have not been in as much pain since delivering my 3 children without the benifit of medication. I do not know how anyone can discribe this process as "feeling little, if any pain during or after the procedure." I was at a level 10 for half an hour. No one bothered to tell me they had to inject a burning solution to shelter the vein from the closure process. It was shear ***l. I now have leg cramps in parts of my leg that never experienced them before.
  • You should be. It is a very painful procedure. My legs are worse than they were before.
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• I had this done on both legs in October 2010. Now, it as though I never had the procedure on my left leg, but my right leg, is another story....I must have nerve damage around my ankle because it's still numb, and when I scheduled a consult with the surgeon, he said this was normal and it could last up to a year, or forever and I would have to take medication for it. It also didn't rid me of the one visible vein that I wanted treated. I am only 24 and I fear that I have severely damaged myself for the rest of my life. It is harder for me to run now, because there are sharp pains in my left leg. Also, I went there originally to just have one visible vein cosmetically injected (which I was more than willing to pay for). In any case, I left with them telling me I needed the VNUS closure procedure to stop future problems. I agreed to it, as I knew I was destined for these veins (extremely hereditary in my family) So the one I wanted gone isn't, I cannot feel my ankle, and I have tons of spider veins now that I never had before, and when I went back to get them injected, I had to pay a copay for the consult with the Doctor, because I decided to not proceed with treatement from him. Noone ever told me that I would have nerve damage...which now results in an inability to exercise like I used to, and I now fear I am suffering from Restless Leg Syndrome. My husband doesn't know any of this, he told me not to get it done. I am so disappointed in myself.
  • I am a young 45 yr old who has not worn shorts for about 7 years now, because my vericose and spider veins are so bad. I am scheduled to have the closure procedure by a vascular surgeon in June. About 4 years ago, I went to have the procedure done and had a severe reaction when injected with lidocaine. Because of that, he had to abort the procedure. Now, after many encouraging tests (allergist to see if I was allergic to lidocaine-- which I'm not, cardiologist--heart looks fine, neurologist--fine there too)I am trying it again. What I am hoping for is visual results more than anything. Although I do have pain, it is not severe, and I can certainly live with it.After reading these posts, I am thinking about cancelling! Does anyone have any good results??I had this done on both legs in October 2010. Now, it as though I never had the procedure on my left leg, but my right leg, is another story....I must have nerve damage around my ankle because it's still numb, and when I scheduled a consult with the surgeon, he said this was normal and it could last up to a year, or forever and I would have to take medication for it. It also didn't rid me of the one visible vein that I wanted treated. I am only 24 and I fear that I have severely damaged myself for the rest of my life. It is harder for me to run now, because there are sharp pains in my left leg. Also, I went there originally to just have one visible vein cosmetically injected (which I was more than willing to pay for). In any case, I left with them telling me I needed the VNUS closure procedure to stop future problems. I agreed to it, as I knew I was destined for these veins (extremely hereditary in my family) So the one I wanted gone isn't, I cannot feel my ankle, and I have tons of spider veins now that I never had before, and when I went back to get them injected, I had to pay a copay for the consult with the Doctor, because I decided to not proceed with treatement from him. Noone ever told me that I would have nerve damage...which now results in an inability to exercise like I used to, and I now fear I am suffering from Restless Leg Syndrome. My husband doesn't know any of this, he told me not to get it done. I am so disappointed in myself.
  • I have a relative with similar problems and wonder if you havemade any progress? Happy to compare notes. BrunoI had this surgery on both legs two years ago... my ankles are so swollen you cant even see the bone and my lower legs are always in so much pain... I would not recommend this surgery to anyone and feel I was mislead about the results.
  • I had this surgery on both legs two years ago... my ankles are so swollen you cant even see the bone and my lower legs are always in so much pain... I would not recommend this surgery to anyone and feel I was mislead about the results.I had vnus closure on both of my legs. My left leg was giving me the most problems before the closure. When I was told that I needed to have the saffenous vein closed on my lower part of my calf, I agreed, thinking that it would take away the aches. Well here I am 2 months later, on prescription medication, worse off than when I started. First of all, the Dr. hit a nerve that sent a shock through my whole foot. It felt like an electric shock going through my foot and out of my toes. Afterwards, I started having pain in my foot and terrible aches from my thigh all the way down. When I went back 2 weeks later for an ultrasound the tech told me that it was all good. She then began to tell me that I needed to go to a neurologist because the aches that I was still feeling had to do with my nerves and not my veins. I feel like the closure was done unnecessarily. Then I had a clot (which I told was ok) and he injected me. It was still there, but did finally disappear. Now my right leg has a clot or at least that's what I think that it is where he had entered to do the vnus closure. It was itchy at first, then red, and now I have a lump and it hurts to put pressure on it. Now to top all that, my both legs have gotten purple spider veins where the procedure was done. When I asked the Dr. about them he had told me that it was cosmetic and that it would cost me one thousand dollars for 4 treatments to dissolve them.Is there something wrong with this picture? I will be making an appt. with the neurologist to get their opinion. Would I recommend vnus closure, only if it's your last resort! So sorry that I had it done. My legs look and feel terrible.
  • I had the proceedure done in both legs about two weeks ago. My pain (pre-VNUS) was all in the calves. Now my right innner thigh feels hard and hurts continually. Surgeon said it was "normal" to have this type of pain 10-14 days post-proceedure - that is was due to the closed vein "pulling away" from the surrounding tissue. THEN I started feeling chest pains - went to ER and found out I had a pulminary emboism. Two days in the hospital, five days of giving myself shots twice a day, and now six months of blood thinners monitored by blood test every week. The only thing I can find to be thankful for is that I got to the ER in time to avoid more serious damage.
  • I just wanted to add that doctors' knowledge on venous disease is not very good. Research indicates more and more that venous problems can be due to outflow problems in the common iliac veins. There can be a compression of the vein between the iliac artery and the spine. Look up May-Thurner syndrome. If you have this condition venous closure is not of big help, because it does not remove the cause to the compromised outflow of the blood from the legs.This type of compression is difficult to diagnose, and to be certain it must be performed with intravascular ultrasound (IVUS). If you are in US, most research in this field is made by dr Neglen and dr Raju at River Oaks Hospital, Jackson, Miss. The treatment is simple and is done by inserting a stent at the site of the compression. Good luck! :)
    Felsen 510 Replies Flag this Response
  • I am a young 45 yr old who has not worn shorts for about 7 years now, because my vericose and spider veins are so bad. I am scheduled to have the closure procedure by a vascular surgeon in June. About 4 years ago, I went to have the procedure done and had a severe reaction when injected with lidocaine. Because of that, he had to abort the procedure. Now, after many encouraging tests (allergist to see if I was allergic to lidocaine-- which I'm not, cardiologist--heart looks fine, neurologist--fine there too)Im trying it again. What I am hoping for is visual results more than anything. Although I do have pain, it is not severe, and I can certainly live with it.After reading these posts, I am thinking about cancelling! Does anyone have any good results??I had mine done june 8,2011 on my left leg, so far no complications,I used Dr Haphner at the vein Specialist center in Marriette,GaThere are things we the patient are supposed to do to prevent blood clots afterward.Walk 1 hour ASAP for seven days even if done in 2/ 30 min segments. And wear the compression stocking afterward for 7 days..... ITS on the after care sheet. IF YOU DONT WALK< YOU COULD GET BLOODCLOTS... So far so good. I had my right leg stripped in 1997 , REGULAR VEIN stripping surgury ,and I would do the closure over reg. any day,
  • I had mine done june 8,2011 on my left leg, so far no complications,I used Dr Haphner at the vein Specialist center in Marriette,GaThere are things we the patient are supposed to do to prevent blood clots afterward.Walk 1 hour ASAP for seven days even if done in 2/ 30 min segments. And wear the compression stocking afterward for 7 days..... ITS on the after care sheet. IF YOU DONT WALKI had mine done 4 weeks ago yesterday. I'm 38 yo. Right leg. Now mind you, I went into the procedure 2 weeks after running a marathon, and a week after riding a 51 mile bike race. So I was very fit going into this. Yes there was a bit of pain and discomfort but that is mostly gone, save for the "pulling" feeling I have on the inner thigh above the knee- which feels much like scar tissue that might need to be broken up manually by massaging it (oww!). I do have a bit of skin sensitivity atop the "pulling" area that is slowly recovering. That was not pleasant at first. I wear the socks EVERY DAY, religiously. And I exercised (walk) EVERY DAY for 2 straight weeks after the surgery for at least 1 hr. Last week I started to do short running intervals and everything is very good. Last night I ran my first 5k (slow) since surgery. I do not regret this surgery. The groin pain I had for 2 yrs going into this was instantly gone and the giant ropey vein with marbles is completely gone. It's not a cake-walk, but I think it was worth it and highly beneficial that I went in with very good fitness.
  • I had VNUS closure done two years ago to treat the varicose veins in my right calf. Right after the procedure, I noticed a new vein forming in my inner thigh, although it was flat at the time..Well in two years, this new vein has grown bigger and protruded. The area where I was treated also grow back veins. I used to have only one area of veins, now I have two to worry about. I am very sad and wished I had not done the procedure to begin with..
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement