Discussions By Condition: Muscle conditions

Right shoulder pain (+ arm, wrist, neck)

Posted In: Muscle conditions 0 Replies
  • Posted By: quantguy
  • June 3, 2008
  • 07:48 PM

Hi,

I have pain in my right shoulder when I'm trying to lift my right arm extended sideways above my head (the pain is more intense the farther back from my body I try to lift it) and also when I lift my arm horizontally across my chest. The pain seems to be coming from all sides of the shoulder, the front, top and back near the armpit.

But that's not all, most days I wake up with little pain but after working on the computer for a few hours the same shoulder starts hurting and bothering like if where getting numb (and I'm only typing and using the mouse). It helps when I take long walks and my arm swings slightly but the pain/numbness comes back after 5-10mins once I sit.

Sometimes the I feel a shooting pain radiating from my shoulder to my biceps and triceps, and to my forearm and fingers occasionally. The right side of my neck hurts sometimes along with the tendon/muscle that is located near my clavicle, and when I don't have the shooting pain, my arm sometimes feel numb from shoulder to wrist.

I went to a GP and he diagnosed Rotator cuff tendinitis about 45 days ago, I took the anti-inflammatory meds and went to physical therapy for 5 weeks now (only once per week, although I do my exercises at home regularly) but the shoulder pain is still there. That GP is no longer near where I live so I'm planning to see another doctor next week.

Does anyone has any clue what can this be? Or what doctor specialty is the most appropriate to see this problem at this stage? Should I go to see a chiropractor? Or try to see a orthopedic surgeon?

BTW I got X-Rays taken to my shoulder area and the doctor said everything there looks fine (no MRI or anything like that yet), but as I said before this is probably 2.5 months since the pain started and 1.5 months since I saw the previous doctor, I'm in my early 30's and before this I never had any problems that I can recall.

PS: English is my second language so please forgive my grammatical errors.

Reply Flag this Discussion
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement