Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Leg Cramping,muscle Tightness In Legs

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 16 Replies
  • Posted By: sondra camp
  • October 24, 2006
  • 01:48 AM

About 2 Months Ago Both Of My Legs Starting Hurting, Like I Had
Climbed A Steep Hill, And I Dont Excersice Regurally, I Have Been On Lipator For About 2 Yrs And Know That One Of The Side Effects Is Muscle Cramping, I Have Been Going To My General Doctor For The Last Month Or So Every 2 Weeks The First Time
He Put Me On Pain Pills, Tylnol 3, 2 Weeks Later He Took Me Off Of My Lipator To See If That Would Help, Still No Better, My Legs Hurt All The Time, Worse At Night When Sitting Or Lying Down Legs Will Feel Tighter In Uper And Lower Parts Of Legs, Sometimes My Muscles Twitch Or Spams, Have Notice That Sometimes I Feel Like I Have A Burning Sensation In My Legs, Went Back To My Doctor Again After 2 Weeks Time, He Has Taken Blood Work, To Check By B=12 Level And Run Other Test, But He Put Me On Requip For Restless Leg Syndrom, 2 Week Supply I Take My Last Pill Tonight And I Have Not Felt The Least Bit Of Difference. I Feel Like He Might Need To Do A X Ray Of My Muscle, Or Even Make Sure A Dont Have A Blockage Somewhere, I Go Back To My Doctor On The 24th For The Blood Test Results. I Just Want Some Relief And Would Like To Know What Is Wrong With Me.

Reply Flag this Discussion

16 Replies:

• When you mentioned the burning along with the cramping, to me that sounds like a nerve problem. I would ask your doctor if he would do an MRI of your lower back to see if you have a slipped disc. You can damage a disc in your back w/o any traumatic injury. I would also ask for a muscle relaxer, which should help with the cramping. I am surprised he hasn't done this already if you told him of these symptoms you mentioned. That has me stumped. I hope you get to the bottom of it soon.
    lynnwalden 20 Replies
    • October 24, 2006
    • 07:04 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I have had a similar condition, for about a year. From nowhere, the tops of my legs have such muscle tightness and are painful, even if I sleep on the area it wakes me up with such pain.My doctor did an x-ray and it came back negative. I realized I am going through menopause and checked for symptoms: "increased muscle tension." Also, a lack of calcium can cause muscle tightness. No one, including my doctor, has told me this.I am starting calcium supplements to see if this will help! If you have any other treatments for the same, please let me know.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 7, 2006
    • 00:51 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Calcium is good, but even more important for muscle cramps and restless legs is magnesium. Get a good quality calcium supplement that has magnesium in a 2:1 ratio (2 calcium to 1 mag). Take this supplement at night if your symptoms are worse at night..How long did you go off the lipitor? The statin drugs have a lot of side effects and are very strong! How is your diet? Increase your fiber and add essential fatty acids (Omega 3-6-9) can often help lower cholesterol levels...You would need to be off lipitor at least a month to see the effects. Also, if requip isn't working, don't take it! Are you drinking tons of water? This is the #1 cause of all joint/muscle pain - dehydration. Also the other post has a good point could be a spinal problem, or pinched nerve. Acupuncture is great for this!Doctor of Oriental Medicine
    acuann 3,080 Replies
    • December 7, 2006
    • 03:19 PM
    Flag this Response
  • hi,in my opinion,you should go and see doctor,all these problems cannot be neglected,may be they are the symptoms of underlying disease.also check if you are getting pain while bending,turning or during rotations if your ans is yes than you definately have a problem with spine& not with legs.again tightness can be a normal thing which usually occurs with almost all individuals in some degree, if you are not exercising regularly than muscles shortens and ultimately you land up in pain .so your both problems are different.please consult your doctor and get the X-rays done for clear picture
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 10, 2006
    • 09:36 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I come from a family that has problems with leg cramping sometimes followed by tightness in the muscle afterwards as if it was pulled. The one thing that consistently prevents this is calcium-magnesium supplements as someone else said in a previous post. Calcium-magnesium also helps with sleep problems. One other thing. Cut back the sugar which often lowers the blood calcium and magnesium. If you don't want to do that then pay attention to when you have cramps. If it follows in the wake of eating a large sugary sweet then you may have this problem.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 10, 2006
    • 10:11 AM
    Flag this Response
  • So many factors to consider, do you carry a lot of stress? You should see a neurologist for RLS. Perhaps you should see a chiropractor as well and get a massage. Best of luck. The x-rays would be a good idea.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 11, 2006
    • 08:59 PM
    Flag this Response
  • The feedback you got is right on the money...CALCIUM>>MAGNESIUM>>WATER...WATER...WATER!!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 12, 2006
    • 06:28 AM
    Flag this Response
  • try increasing your BANANA intake as well.. Worked for me... 3 Bananas a day for a week really helped
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 13, 2006
    • 09:11 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Good advice about magnesium. I used to lift weights years ago and I got muscle cramps w/ a burning feeling. I increased my magnesium (2:1) ratio W/ calcium 2 to mag 1) otherwise, it doesn't get utilized properly) and that was the end of my cramps!!! Epsom salt is a pure form of magnesium and using it in a HOT bath will allow it to soak into your skin and help muscles. (still take Mag/cal orally) Magnesium is made for muscle cramps - that's why it's in all the over the counter "female" analgesics i.e. midol- for cramps. Be sure to take in an adaquate amount of water too. (You should drink 1/2 your body weight a day in water)!!! Dehydrated muscles can cramp and ache too!!!
    1111healer 106 Replies
    • December 17, 2006
    • 07:14 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Good advice in the posts. I have leg cramps and restless legs intermittently and I swear by magnesium supplementation. Most people who eat a typical American diet are chronically magnesium depleted. I take a good bio-available vitamin (not rock hard) and additional magnesium malate, anywhere from 100-250 mg. Take some analgesics to deal with any moderate pain. The longer you take the magnesium, the more infrequent these pains and cramps are. A side benefit to regular magnesium supplementation is very regular bowel movements.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 19, 2006
    • 02:58 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I take Fosimax for osteoporosis and one pf the nurses where I work said it might be due to that (no one told me it could cause leg cramps_. Look up CMT Charcot Marie Tooth disease which is a peripheral nerve disease which may cause the burning in extremities. Try contracting the opposing muscles and that will ease up the tight muscle.Hope this helps
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 22, 2006
    • 11:24 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• I acquired these symptoms two weeks ago. My cramps and spasms are triggered by position of my spine, in relation to my legs. Like sciatica, only I get the spasms when I straighten, rather than bend. I am generally healthy, work out regularly and bicycled each weekend day, rain or shine. I also took a statin for cholesterol. Went to the Dr. He stopped the statin, and scheduled labs to determine if I had an electrolyte imbalance. The labs came back all within normal. Went back for follow-up. More bloodwork and lower back x-rays. Waiting for results on those. I have not tried the Ca-Mg supplements, yet, but will. I am writing to add to this body of inquiry, as well as to find out what is causing the problem. Happy Holidays.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 23, 2006
    • 00:54 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I acquired these symptoms two weeks ago. My cramps and spasms are triggered by position of my spine, in relation to my legs. Like sciatica, only I get the spasms when I straighten, rather than bend. I am generally healthy, work out regularly and bicycled each weekend day, rain or shine. I also took a statin for cholesterol. Went to the Dr. He stopped the statin, and scheduled labs to determine if I had an electrolyte imbalance. The labs came back all within normal. Went back for follow-up. More bloodwork and lower back x-rays. Waiting for results on those. I have not tried the Ca-Mg supplements, yet, but will. I am writing to add to this body of inquiry, as well as to find out what is causing the problem. Happy Holidays.I wanted to add that I do drink lots of liquids. That does not change the symptoms. I have tried flexeril muscle relaxer to try to get the muscles from cramping, which did not help at all. The only thing that helps a little to slow down the spasms and the pain, but only a little, is Aleve (naproxin) and aspirin.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 23, 2006
    • 01:22 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Once again, when the body feels CRAMPS, it is usually low in Magnesium!!!That is why all the over the counter medications like for females i.e. Midol, etc contain magnesium. It is what the body uses up during muscular/physical activity and when it it depleted- U FEEL CRAMPS!! Also you may experience burning, heat, pain, etc. This is an essential mineral and is VITAL is an electrolyte in the body. Also, be sure you drink plenty of water ( this is a conductor and works with your electrical system and electrlytes) Magnesium should be taken with Calcium in order to be picked up and utilized properly in a 2:1 ratio Ca to Mg. Potassium also plays a part in cramping and muscle contracture. This is easily remedied be eating a banana per day. Simple. If that doesn't work TRY THE MAGNESIUM 2:1!!! It's much easier and cheaper than medical tests and blood work, etc Good luck. Keep it simple!!! :) Namaste~~
    1111healer 106 Replies
    • December 26, 2006
    • 00:10 AM
    Flag this Response
  • My legs have been hurting for 3 months now, it feels like I have a major charlie horse constantly. It does not feel like its in the muscle's as much as it is the joint's and bone's. I can be sleeping and wake up with them drawing up to the point to where I scream and cry. My ankles and joints burn and ache constantly, what can this be?Thank you,Shelly
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 14, 2007
    • 04:54 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I too, had leg pain/twitches at night, and the back of my thighs always burned while sitting. I consulted with my Physician but the treatment she prescribed did not help. I also had Charlie Horses from ***l, nothing like those I had as a child, but ones that I had to physically battle. They were tremendous and I seriously thought that I would end up like a pretzel. At the same time, I also had sciatica, which lasted 4 – 5 months. I was bloody miserable. In desperation, I looked online for help and found a site such as this one. There I learned about the impact of Calcium and Magnesium on muscles. I immediately began taking multiple doses, 4 times, per day, in a 2:1, Calcium to Magnesium ratio. Within a matter of days, I began to feel better, but I had to continue the same dosage for quite some time before it was completely gone. Once in a while, if I get too busy with work and forget to take my calcium/magnesium regularly, and my left leg will “threaten” me with sciatica, by starting to hurt, and I begin taking aggressive dosages to prevent it from getting worse. This treatment has ALWAYS been successful for me, for well over 10 years now. Many thanks to those who posted and thus helped me, I am very grateful.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 21, 2010
    • 07:47 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement