Discussions By Condition: Gastrointestinal conditions

Diastasis Recti? Bulging in abdomen

Posted In: Gastrointestinal conditions 6 Replies
  • Posted By: Boukie
  • June 1, 2008
  • 03:05 AM

I have just stumbled onto this forum a last night and wow! Now, I may have an answer.

I am a 34 year old female who has had three pregnancies. The middle one caused extreme stretching and this one also was a c-section. After that birth, I noticed a bulging in my abdomen near my navel. I went to see my primary physician who sent me for an ultrasound and a CT scan to rule out a hernia/aortic aneurysm (you could feel a pulsating in the bulging area). All came back negative.

A few months later, I became pregnant again. After this birth, I noticed the bulging even more pronounced.

Here are a few symptoms: "tent" in abs upon lying back, salami-type protrusions near the navel area that come and go, bloated look while standing (can look many months pregnant at times), change in bowel habits (slow transit, change in size~smaller), heavy feeling in abs like something pushing forward.

I am physically fit and this area is so disheartening.

I again have sought help from my primary who referred me to a gastroenterologist. He did say I had diastasis recti but didn't seem concerned. I was certain I had a hernia although after reading more about DR, maybe this is what it is afterall. The gastroenterologist sent me for an abdominal x-ray (drinking barium) and I'll have a CT scan done next week.

My main question is: What is the basic difference between a hernia and diastasis recti? Both have your intestines that is pushing through the abdominal muscles. Please elaborate on this. :confused:

When I thought I had a hernia, I read up on the laparoscopic surgery to fix it and it sounded not that bad. But, a tummy tuck to pull the muscles back together? Yikes!

Is it beneficial to see a physical therapist to strengthen the core abdominal muscles? Or is there basically no hope without surgery to repair it? Are there other more conclusive tests to diagnose diastasis recti?

All feedback is appreciated!

Reply Flag this Discussion

6 Replies:

• I have both diastasis recti and an abdominal hernia. Diastasis recti is simply a seperation of the abdominal walls.An abdominal hernia means that your intestines are coming through your navel area or belly button...I, unfortunately have both.I am having surgery next week on my abdominal hernia (not laproscopic) and considered a tuck but just way too much recovery time in there and pain for me! To answer your final question, diastasis does not HAVE to be repaired with surgery. It can be repaired through excercise specifically targeted at the muscles but cnnot be repaired with just crunches or sit-ups which can actually make the sypmptoms worse. My advice is to see a doc who specializes in hernia repair (my surgeon does) and not a gastro doc...most physical trainers can give you excercises to repair the diastasis...more than likely, you also have both since most with abdominal hernias do. You can also "Google" diastasis and you should be able to pull up the proper excercises to correct the diastasis.Hope this helps!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Maybe I do have both as you ~ diastasis recti and a hernia. If you simply have DR, you wouldn't see the bulging of your intestines or see them moving, correct (I can actually see/feel them moving sometimes while lying on my back)? My gastroenterologist told me that if I found the testing unconclusive or if I wanted a second opinion, that he would recommend me seeing a surgeon he's affiliated with. This may be the next step if these tests do not concur a hernia. I have researched exercises for the transvere abdominal muscles and I am working on them daily. Have you noticed that these exercises have helped? I began doing the one where you lie on your stomach and pull your belly button up toward your spine. I really noticed a "tight" feeling the next day. I'm all for doing exercises instead of surgery. How come you're not having laparoscopic surgery to correct the hernia? Thank you so much for sharing!
    Boukie 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • I have had 2 kids, the youngest 3 yrs ago. I had a belly button hernia repair about 2 yrs ago. Noticed that I have another hernia. My stomach protrudes outward down the middle from rib cage down to belly button when I lean backward. The surgeon told me today that it is from the lining thinned out from pregnancy. That I need to meet with a personal trainer to learn exercises to prevent my stomach from protruding outward. I get the hernia repair Monday. I have just stumbled onto this forum a last night and wow! Now, I may have an answer. I am a 34 year old female who has had three pregnancies. The middle one caused extreme stretching and this one also was a c-section. After that birth, I noticed a bulging in my abdomen near my navel. I went to see my primary physician who sent me for an ultrasound and a CT scan to rule out a hernia/aortic aneurysm (you could feel a pulsating in the bulging area). All came back negative. A few months later, I became pregnant again. After this birth, I noticed the bulging even more pronounced. Here are a few symptoms: "tent" in abs upon lying back, salami-type protrusions near the navel area that come and go, bloated look while standing (can look many months pregnant at times), change in bowel habits (slow transit, change in size~smaller), heavy feeling in abs like something pushing forward. I am physically fit and this area is so disheartening. I again have sought help from my primary who referred me to a gastroenterologist. He did say I had diastasis recti but didn't seem concerned. I was certain I had a hernia although after reading more about DR, maybe this is what it is afterall. The gastroenterologist sent me for an abdominal x-ray (drinking barium) and I'll have a CT scan done next week. My main question is: What is the basic difference between a hernia and diastasis recti? Both have your intestines that is pushing through the abdominal muscles. Please elaborate on this. :confused: When I thought I had a hernia, I read up on the laparoscopic surgery to fix it and it sounded not that bad. But, a tummy tuck to pull the muscles back together? Yikes! Is it beneficial to see a physical therapist to strengthen the core abdominal muscles? Or is there basically no hope without surgery to repair it? Are there other more conclusive tests to diagnose diastasis recti? All feedback is appreciated!
    tinakeith 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • It's a disheartening condition. My rectus diastasis has become a bit worse one year after I got my child. I can stretch what used to be my pregnant belly outwards and I would look like 7 months pregnant; I would pull my muscles inwards and look perhaps 4 months pregnant. What I noticed lately is that my whole abdominal muscles went completely out of shape, either because I often carry my little one who already weighs 11-12 kgs or because I did some stomach situps which were too strong for this condition. Either way, I feel my whole abdominal organs kind of compressed within this watermelon. I often have mild but annoying digestive problems; which I am sure are related to this condition, although the doctors believe this condition would never affect the digestive tract. Burping, bloating, acid reflux, slow transit, and my IBS has certainly worsened ever since! I think doctors do not take us seriously on this issue, even here in Germany they would discourage from such an operation, believing it is useless. Actually I think it's not less serious than a hernia because it is ALMOST a hernia, but you know guys, I guess it's because we live in a patriarchal world which does not sympathise with women and feel for them.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 4, 2011
    • 08:41 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have just stumbled onto this forum a last night and wow! Now, I may have an answer. I am a 34 year old female who has had three pregnancies. The middle one caused extreme stretching and this one also was a c-section. After that birth, I noticed a bulging in my abdomen near my navel. I went to see my primary physician who sent me for an ultrasound and a CT scan to rule out a hernia/aortic aneurysm (you could feel a pulsating in the bulging area). All came back negative. A few months later, I became pregnant again. After this birth, I noticed the bulging even more pronounced. Here are a few symptoms: "tent" in abs upon lying back, salami-type protrusions near the navel area that come and go, bloated look while standing (can look many months pregnant at times), change in bowel habits (slow transit, change in size~smaller), heavy feeling in abs like something pushing forward. I am physically fit and this area is so disheartening. I again have sought help from my primary who referred me to a gastroenterologist. He did say I had diastasis recti but didn't seem concerned. I was certain I had a hernia although after reading more about DR, maybe this is what it is afterall. The gastroenterologist sent me for an abdominal x-ray (drinking barium) and I'll have a CT scan done next week. My main question is: What is the basic difference between a hernia and diastasis recti? Both have your intestines that is pushing through the abdominal muscles. Please elaborate on this. :confused: When I thought I had a hernia, I read up on the laparoscopic surgery to fix it and it sounded not that bad. But, a tummy tuck to pull the muscles back together? Yikes! Is it beneficial to see a physical therapist to strengthen the core abdominal muscles? Or is there basically no hope without surgery to repair it? Are there other more conclusive tests to diagnose diastasis recti? All feedback is appreciated!Wow, I am a 42 year old mother of 2, my youngest being 3 years old. Both children delivered by csection. I have the very same symptoms. I also at times have a burning sensation. It also occured after my last child was born. I will be seeing surgeon at the end of this month to see what can be done. This has been a huge worry to me for several months. I am so glad to have found your story. good luck
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I'm very sad to see all the waisted and uncomfortable test ordered for a simple diagnosis. All of you should start looking for different pcp.
    http://jscr.oxfordjournals.org/content/2010/5/3.full
    Anonymous 1 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement