Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

dry flaking skin and eyebrow loss

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 4 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • May 27, 2008
  • 02:15 PM

hi i am a 18 year old male with dry skin and eyebrow hair loss. ive had these symptoms for a few years now and been to a few different doctors all with different diagnoses, one or two have said i have sebborrheic dermatitis although i dont have any dandruff or flaking on my forehead which is typical of seb derm. the flaking skin is around my eyes and on my nose and in the eyebrows, with red spots under my eyes, the most recent doctor i seen sayed i have dry skin and gave me a moistoriser to use which has helped with the flaking but my eyebrows still seem to be falling out. any ideas on what i may have would be appreciated. thanks.

Reply Flag this Discussion

4 Replies:

• any other symptoms? Loss or thinning eyebrows is common with hypothyroidism but you would also have other symptoms most likely....Joan
    Joan5555 316 Replies Flag this Response
  • It could be hormones/glands or it could be a fungus. Have you seen a dermatologist? Next would be an endocrinologist. The prescription shampoo would be hard to use around your eyes. They have a pill they would need to prescribe if it is a fungus.
    Monsterlove 2,921 Replies Flag this Response
  • It seems like just about anything could cause eyebrow hair loss lol... According to this website (these conditions explain dry skin and eyebrow hair loss): 1. Alves Castelo dos Santos syndromeA rare syndrome characterized by hair, eye, skin and spinal abnormalities....read more »2. Ectodermal dysplasiaA group of rare inherited conditions which affect the ectodermal skin layer which includes the skin, hair, teeth and nails....read more »3. Ectodermal dysplasia mental retardation syndactylyA rare syndrome characterized by mental retardation, webbed fingers and hair, nail and teeth abnormalities....read more »4. Judge-Misch-Wright syndromeA very rare syndrome characterized mainly by thickened skin on palms and soles as well as around the mouth....read more »5. Keratosis follicularis spinulosa decalvansA rare inherited skin disorder affecting mostly males and characterized by hardening of skin around hair follicles which leads to scarring and loss of hair. The skin on the face, neck, forearms and other areas can also be affected....read more »6. Oculo tricho dysplasiaA very rare syndrome characterized mainly by eye, tooth and hair abnormalities...read more »7. Trichodysplasia xerodermaA rare disorder involving the skin and hair....read more » And according to some other site (these have nothing to do with the dry skin, in case that was just unrelated dry skin): Endocrine Disease/Imbalance One of the most obvious categories, conditions that affect our hormonal balance may certainly lead to hair loss within the eyebrow region: Thyroid diseasePregnancyHormone Intake: Danazol, BCPs, Progestesrone, Diethystilbesterol (DES), HCG (pregnancy hormone)Infiltrating Cancer Cancer whether locally growing or one that is spreading into the skin may push out hair in areas in which it is overtaking:Mycosis Fungoides, a T Cell Lymphoma of the Skin.Leukemia Cutis, a state where leukemia spreads from the bloodstream into the skin.Local Skin Cancer, including Basal Cell Carcinoma and Squamous Cell Carcinoma.Kaposi’s SarcomaInfections Infectious conditions can either directly affect the hair follicle, or hair shaft, or create such inflammation in the region that you literally scratch the hair out. Fungal infections: Just like those on the scalp, fungal infections can occur on hair bearing areas of the face as well and lead to typically temporary hair loss.Lice: The itching and scratching cycle associated with lice of the brows and lashes can cause you to literally pull them out.Hansen’s Disease (aka Leprosy): Can infiltrate the brow region leading to thinning eyebrows.Syphilis: Who thought that a venereal disease could cause hair loss? However, syphilis can cause “moth-eaten” hair loss in more advanced stages.Autoimmune Disorders The definition of an autoimmune disease is that the body turns on itself, mistakenly destroying tissue that belongs.Here are a few that can lead to hair loss:Lupus Erythematosus: All autoimmune diseases can put hair at risk. Inflammation of the skin due to a variety of lupus-like conditions may result in patchy hair loss.Alopecia Areata: In this condition, hair is specifically targeted by the body for destruction. A random condition where any hair is potentially at risk.Vitiligo: This disease where the color-making cells of the skin are destroyed may cause enough inflammation to accidentally result in some hair loss as well.Inflammation from “Common Skin Conditions” That itch, scratch cycle can lead to more inflammation, and ultimately hair loss:SeborrheaPsoriasisAtopic Dermatitis/EczemaContact DermatitisSkin Growths If something happens to be growing on the surface, chances are the hair isn’t going to be able to penetrate through this thick shell-like barrier:Seborrheic Keratosis: Age-related “barnacles of life”.MolesSebaceous Hyperplasia: Growth of specific oil glands.WartsHemangiomas: Blood vessel growths.Infiltrating Disorders This is a mixed bag of conditions that all have 1 thing in common. They all create an environment within the dermis (lower portion of the skin) that squeezes out the hair follicle’s ability to flourish.Alopecia Mucinosis: A disorder in which a viscous material called mucin infiltrates the deeper areas of the skin, resulting in hair loss.Sclerosing Disorders: Scleroderma, Morphea and Discoid Lupus Erythematosus.Scars: Particularly large keloids.Medication Eyebrows can be affected just like any other hair if a medication is known to cause hair loss:Antihypertensives: Propranolol, Atenolol, Captopril, ClonidineAntidepressants/Psychotics/Emotional Stabilizers: Prozac, Lithium, Haldol, Amitriptylene, Sinequan (Doxepin), ImipramineSeizure Medication: Phenytoin (Dilantin), Phenobarbital, Valproic AcidHeavy Metal/ Elemental Poisoning It’s hard to believe in this day and age that we could be poisoned by our environment, but periodically, you hear about a case:MercuryArsenicThalliumIodineGold: A side effect from taking it for the control of diseases such as Rheumatoid Arthritis.Vitamin/Mineral Overdose Too much of a good thing often leads to problems. Excessive oral ingestion of vitamins can be a real problem when it comes to the skin.Nicotinic Acid: A "B" vitamin.Vitamin A: This also applies to its derivatives like Accutane, Etretinate, etc.Anti-Inflammatory Medications (NSAIDS)Naproxyn: Such as Naprosyn, Alleve, etc.Ibuprofen: Such as Motrin, Advil, etc.Acetaminophen: Such as Tylenol.MiscellanousHalothane: Used for general anesthesia.Hypertriglyceridemia: Very high blood fats called triglycerides.Topical ophthalmic betablocker agents/drops (such as Timolol) may cause reversible eyebrow or eyelash loss.Trichotillomania, a habit of pulling out hair. Repeated insult of plucking out the hair can destroy the hair follicle and lead to permanent loss.Over-plucking. Yes, over-plucking can again lead to destruction of the hair follicle and potentially permanent loss of the hair over time. Eyebrow hair follicles tend to be sensitive to removal of the hair, so plan your brow shape and try not to get carried away tweezing.Androgenic Alopecia, that condition that causes “balding” can also lead to thinning of the eyebrows over time. While some may argue this to be a hormonal condition, others would include it with the general category of age-related problems.Sorry that's a lot of options my guess is the reason you haven't gotten it diagnosed is probably because its so simple (like taking tylenol.. who knew?) that you haven't thought of it, or because its so rare doctors haven't heard of it. Good luck, and keep us posted.
    qwertyuiop123 453 Replies Flag this Response
  • i get eczema underneath my eyebrows- my skin becomes all flaky and at times itchy. the worst part of all of this is that i loose many eyebrow hairs! so there are times when i have spaces/gaps in my eyebrows due to the loss of hair. i have tried all creams, which personally arent that great as my eyebrow hairs get stuck together so they still end up looking too thin with gaps in between. so i visited the dermatologist and he prescribed 2 medicines- i both BOTH.1. locoid hydrocortisone scalp lotion (i just use it once a day or every other day. this is great as the eyebrow hairs dont get stuck together. obviously since its made of hydrocortisone which is a type of steroid you cant use it continously. hence why i use it once a day or less.)2. Elidel (pimecrolimus) cream.(use a TINY bit when dabbing on the irritated areas) i use this once a day(at a different time when using LOCOID)PLUS i read that almond oil is very good for all hairs and skin. it also prevents hair loss.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement