Discussions By Condition: Head conditions

Tender to touch top left side of scalp

Posted In: Head conditions 37 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • May 26, 2008
  • 07:16 AM

Hi, it's been about two weeks that the left side of my scalp, near the top of my head, has been feeling very sensitive/tender when touching it. Examples include brushing hair, running fingers through hair or laying on pillow. This pain seemed to have gone away about a few days ago but it has come back today..

Does anybody know what this is? The only thing I found with this type of symptom was occipital neuralgia but I don't have any of the other symptoms they've listed on various sites. How do I get rid of this because although the pain isn't that bad, it's still very distracting.

Reply Flag this Discussion

37 Replies:

• Hi, did you ever get an answer for this? I have exactly the same problem. Had CT scan which showed no cause for pain but it intermittently comes back. Love to know if anyone else has the same thing. No other symptoms such as a rash.
    neverwell 3 Replies
    • October 17, 2008
    • 03:43 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi there,I couldn't help but reply to your post because I too have the exact same symptom that started about a year or more ago. it tends to be worst at times but noticed that the area where my painful scalp is, the hair there is extremely thinning. I've lost a lot of my hair there. plus the color of the skin there is pinkish, reddish. only in the area where it hurts and is sensitive to touch.I'm beginning to think that maybe something is going on with the hair follicles and because i have fibromyalgia. I vaguallly remember reading somewhere that people with fibromyalgia do have sensitive, painful scalps too.it feels as if I had my hair up in a pony tail and fell asleep with the pony tail crushed upwards on my scalp against the pillow all night. when I really didn't.It's as if there's tiny little specks of sharp glass like material, ( I imagine tiny specks of fiberglass what's put in pink wall insulation) pushing into my scalp. that's what it feels like. like little tiny needles.is that how yours feels like too?I'm a 48 yr old female who fears I might one day have to wear a wig.thin, straight hair runs in my family and my twin brother already lost his hair many years ago. but i'm a female and don't want to wind up like HIM!I feel our hair is very important to us as human beings. look at what they did to the Jewish people when they were in the concentration camps, they cut off all their hair to intimidate them. how humiliating. I used to dream that my hair was cut so short and wake up thankful it was only a dream.there are hormone problems that can effect the hair, plus i'm sure dermotologie problems too. I just dont' know what they are. I haven't made any effort to find a skin doctor to find out what's going on yet because I keep thinking maybe it will go away.I suffer with every imaginable aches and pains to begin with by having fibromyalgia and maybe i am just afraid I will be considered a hypochondriac by complaining to a doctor about it. but now that I read your post and anothers, I feel it isn't just me and that i really do need to follow up with this. thank you for posting your problem. if you find out before i do what is causing this symptom, please don't forget to come back and post it for us.OK?GOOD LUCK to you both, or should I say " all 3 of us?"Linda
    lintek 26 Replies
    • October 17, 2008
    • 04:23 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hello. I'm 20 year old and noticed the same symptom. I'm very healthy and this symptom is very weird it concerns me. Can anyone above tell me how long the symptom continues or what could cause it?thanks
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • i recently just experienced this "feeling". from the research i done...i believe it is a sort of migraine called "hair headache". the best thing is to just sleep it off. it may last for a day or two. hope this helps.
  • I've had tender scalp upper left back side of head also. I was just doing some online searches, and one site mentioned "TMJ' could cause nerve sensitivity along the scalp. I don't know this to be a symptom, does anyone else know?Thanks
  • I as well have the same symptoms.. Top left side of scalp, somewhat painful when touched from about the middle of the scalp towards the front.. Have noticed it getting progressively more painful for the past couple of weeks.. Will keep researching this on the web and hopefully someone will find a cause and talk about a remedy..
    pepsipete 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • I too have the same symptoms (41 yr old female), left side to middle of scalp, extremely tender to the point it throbs. My symptoms have been on and off for about 1 year. I was diagnosed last year with having a mild stroke and since then I've had this problem, I have no idea if they are related. I'll do some more research and discussions with my doctor and let you all know.Michelle
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 22, 2009
    • 08:07 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I too have the same symptoms (41 yr old female), left side to middle of scalp, extremely tender to the point it throbs. My symptoms have been on and off for about 1 year. I was diagnosed last year with having a mild stroke and since then I've had this problem, I have no idea if they are related. I'll do some more research and discussions with my doctor and let you all know.MichelleThis may sound far fetched but I changed shampoos away from any version of Head & shoulders and believe it or not all symptoms and problems disappeared in about 3 days..Have not used H&S in over 3 months now with no problems..Pete
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 23, 2009
    • 04:50 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I too have the same symptoms (41 yr old female), left side to middle of scalp, extremely tender to the point it throbs. My symptoms have been on and off for about 1 year. I was diagnosed last year with having a mild stroke and since then I've had this problem, I have no idea if they are related. I'll do some more research and discussions with my doctor and let you all know.MichelleI have experienced this on and off for the last few years. I started keeping a journal and found that in my case it seems to be due to PMS. When I have a PMS headache I also get a tender/pink scalp along with dry eyes. The tender pinkness is usually in the middle of the top of my head. Once my headache and PMS go away, the tenderness/pinkness and dry eyes go away as well. I don't know if this is what you are experience, but wanted to share my experience.Wili
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 17, 2009
    • 11:54 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I am a 22 year old male and was in great health until I broke my ankle. I too have the exact same problem with the top middle to left side of head is very sensitive and painful to touch. I think it may be me laying down so much with my ankle elevated but am not sure. Anymore info would be great. I as well have the same symptoms.. Top left side of scalp, somewhat painful when touched from about the middle of the scalp towards the front.. Have noticed it getting progressively more painful for the past couple of weeks.. Will keep researching this on the web and hopefully someone will find a cause and talk about a remedy..
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 18, 2010
    • 07:02 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I have the exact same problem. Even brushing my hair on the left side makes it hurt. How strange!
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• This may sound far fetched but I changed shampoos away from any version of Head & shoulders and believe it or not all symptoms and problems disappeared in about 3 days..Have not used H&S in over 3 months now with no problems..PeteWow, i am having the same symptoms, feels like someone pulled my hair really ******n top left side of my head. For 3 days now and I actually just started to use head and shoulders shampoo 4 days ago. I think i will stop the H&S thanks to this post and see if the problems go away. The pain is just in one spot. Pressure and sensitive to the touch. Thanks Pete.DF
  • 31 year old male here. I've got the same problem. Top left side of the head. Feels like a sharp stabbing pain for a few seconds, but for the most part doesn't hurt unless I touch it. It started about a year ago for me. Got it checked by a doctor last year because I was scared to death it was an anyeurysm or hemorrage of some kind, but she assured me it wasn't and even ordered a CT scan to ease my fears. Tests came back normal thank God. She seems to think it's an irritated nerve or blood vessel in the scalp, though she doesn't know what could be causing it.I still don't know what exactly it is as it comes and goes every few months and lasts for about a month or so, but I do suffer from chronic sinus infections as well as migraines, and I've searched around some web sites and one site said that sinus infections can sometimes cause pain at the very top of the head because the infection can irritate the nerves in the scalp.
  • hi al i have had the head tender to touch for a couple of months my doctors are saying its anxiety.
  • I still don't know what exactly it is as it comes and goes every few months and lasts for about a month or so, but I do suffer from chronic sinus infections as well as migraines, and I've searched around some web sites and one site said that sinus infections can sometimes cause pain at the very top of the head because the infection can irritate the nerves in the scalp.38 year old male - for the past month my scalp has been tender to touch in a small area at the top (crown) of my head. It does not hurt at any other time. The sensitivity occurs only with an initial touch and then subsides after a second or two (continuous pressure causes no discomfort). I notice that the sensitivity is greater when I have increased sinus pressure.
  • 31 year old male here. I've got the same problem. Top left side of the head. Feels like a sharp stabbing pain for a few seconds, but for the most part doesn't hurt unless I touch it. It started about a year ago for me. Got it checked by a doctor last year because I was scared to death it was an anyeurysm or hemorrage of some kind, but she assured me it wasn't and even ordered a CT scan to ease my fears. Tests came back normal thank God. She seems to think it's an irritated nerve or blood vessel in the scalp, though she doesn't know what could be causing it.I still don't know what exactly it is as it comes and goes every few months and lasts for about a month or so, but I do suffer from chronic sinus infections as well as migraines, and I've searched around some web sites and one site said that sinus infections can sometimes cause pain at the very top of the head because the infection can irritate the nerves in the scalp.58 year old female here. I thought I had my ponytail in too tight, but it has been several days now and the pain is still there. I cancelled a hair cut appointment because of the pain. I will post again after seeing my dr.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 19, 2010
    • 07:33 PM
    Flag this Response
  • 58 year old female here. I thought I had my ponytail in too tight, but it has been several days now and the pain is still there. I cancelled a hair cut appointment because of the pain. I will post again after seeing my dr.48yr old female, and it hit suddenly--like someone had been holding me up with one section of my hair (the head pain), and almost pulled the hair out (scalp pain). to hear it could be PMS related...? I'm being treated for occasional blackout and P-mal seizures and I also have blood sugar dips--hypoglycemia. My birth control/hormone pills are what my doctor thinks causes the seizures and BS pros. Now to suddenly have the top left side of my scalp not letting me touch it. And to part the hair to see a color change is impossible with the severe pain--I scream! But the scalp pain fades in and out in several hours; it all lasts for days.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 9, 2011
    • 06:10 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi, it's been about two weeks that the left side of my scalp, near the top of my head, has been feeling very sensitive/tender when touching it. Examples include brushing hair, running fingers through hair or laying on pillow. This pain seemed to have gone away about a few days ago but it has come back today.. Does anybody know what this is? The only thing I found with this type of symptom was occipital neuralgia but I don't have any of the other symptoms they've listed on various sites. How do I get rid of this because although the pain isn't that bad, it's still very distracting.I have something similar with the added symptons of a headache and sore arms and shoulders. My GP says it is a reasonably common virus that will go away on its own. He recommends Ibuprofen as a pain relief. You should also get tested to eliminate the possibility of temporal artesity which has similar symptoms and can lead to organ damage and blindness. A blood test should do it.
  • I have experienced this on and off for the last few years. I started keeping a journal and found that in my case it seems to be due to PMS. When I have a PMS headache I also get a tender/pink scalp along with dry eyes. The tender pinkness is usually in the middle of the top of my head. Once my headache and PMS go away, the tenderness/pinkness and dry eyes go away as well. I don't know if this is what you are experience, but wanted to share my experience.Wiliomg I thought I was nuts I have the same thing but it came after a staph infection of my lip I am 48 and male about 3 days after I started cephlexin antibiotics this started which was strange because the swelling had gone down alot. I also have a pain in throat when swallowing and the left side of my tounge feels like I burned it with coffee or something which I did not
  • My wife had the same thing a while back and thought she had fluid on the brain or some other exotic problem. The doc said it was actually just knotted muscles (I think all the way down in her shoulders) and gave her some muscle relaxers. It seemed to do the trick.
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement