Discussions By Condition: Skin conditions

Sudden increase of red dots on skin (hemangioma? / petechiae?)

Posted In: Skin conditions 10 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • May 16, 2008
  • 02:35 PM

Hi! I am concerned. I have had a few of these red spots before but in the past weeks or maybe also longer I notice that I have gotten plenty fresh red dots! The news ones are all small and have a diameter of maybe 1mm. I also have a few older ones which are bigger and also elevated but the most ones are small and even. I'm concerned. What does this mean? I showed this to my private doctor and he said it's nothing to worry about but when you're getting more and more of these then it's most likely not a good sign. http://img175.imageshack.us/my.php?image=68598244fn0.jpg http://img339.imageshack.us/my.php?image=63630087rk7.jpg http://img258.imageshack.us/my.php?image=18930604uj7.jpg http://img339.imageshack.us/my.php?image=86492838ec9.jpg

Reply Flag this Discussion

10 Replies:

• Hi Blaze,I have had several tests for borelliosis which is the same as lyme, right?The results were not really clear. The doctor said they were rather negative than positive but I still took antiobiotics for 2 weeks against borelliosis. Have you tested wether these red dots fade for a second when you press on them? I heard that petechiae do not fade but if they fade then they are hemangiomas. I have tried it and most of them faded when I pressed on them.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • It's cherry angioma (campbell de morgan spots). not petechiae. Do you know what caused this? medications, drugs, illness etc?
    nutshell 3 Replies Flag this Response
  • I have these same spots, that I don't recall ever having before I started abx treatment for Lyme. When I did start to notice them, and people on a lyme forum also mentioned having them, I asked my LLMD. He told me they were age spots and he was surprised I didn't have more. :confused: I'm in my early 30s, for crying out loud!!I've been tested for coinfections twice.. supposedly I don't have any, but I've had lyme for several years before diagnosis, and I've been on abx for almost 15 months now.
    sylvie 31 Replies
    • September 21, 2008
    • 06:38 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Funny you should mention Borrellia, the bacteria of Lyme disease. I also had several of these appear 1 1/2 years ago suddenly over a two month period and continue to appear until I was diagnosed with Lyme disease. Borrellia Burgdorferi is the causative agent in Lyme. I too was put off by the docs.Lyme testing is flawed and there is a lot of controversy right now over the proper testing and diagnosis of Lyme disease. I did test CDC positive after finally ordering the lab tests on my own through Private MD and then having my doctor retest to verify what I had found. After having read all the information and watching the documentary, "Under Our Skin," as well as reading a book called "Cure Unknown," I am convinced that many patients will test negative on Lyme tests who are actually positive.In a nutshell, if you are lucky enough to pass the ELISA which is a highly insensitive test for Lyme, (I passed it twice), then your doctor is allowed to order the Western Blot test, which I also passed. On the Western Blot there are bands that test positive or negative. The IDSA when creating it's guidelines actually removed some of the bands from the Western Blot that were specific bands that pointed to Lyme disease, yet they left in bands that could cross-react with other diseases on the Western Blot. This makes no sense. So after they removed some of these important bands, they decided there were 10 bands that should be considered when testing on the Western Blot IgG. To test positive you had to be positive on at least five of the ten bands for infection longer than 6 months or two of three bands on the IgM Western Blot for acute infection less than 6 months.So on the IgG, you could be positive on four and be considered negative even if all four of those bands are specific to the bacteria that causes Lyme disease. What this means basically is you have been exposed to this bacteria but the IDSA decided you are negative. You could also test positive on the bands the IDSA excluded that are specific to Lyme disease, yet that won't even be considered because the IDSA took those bands off the test. There is no logic in their guidelines, especially when you find out they removed highly specific bands in favor of bands that are not highly specific.One example is they included band 41. Generally this is the first band to show up in Lyme disease. However, it is the flagellin or tail of a bacteria and it is not specific to Lyme disease. If this shows up positive on your test, it could be related to any bacteria that has a flagellin. But the IDSA left off the band 14Kda which is a flagellin that is specific to Borrellia. Why in the world did they choose 41 which is non-specific in favor of 14 which is specific?I suggest you watch the 2009 documentary "Under Our Skin," and I would recommend reading the book, "Cure Unknown." Both of these give excellent descriptions as well as patient accounts of the current controversy over Lyme disease. ILADS.org and turnthecorner.org have very useful information as well. Once you begin to look into the Lyme controversy you will be astounded at what you find. It's truly pathetic what the IDSA, and in particular, Gary Wormser, MD, Alan Steere, MD and Shapiro, MD have done to the Lyme patients at large.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 20, 2009
    • 02:36 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have these same spots, that I don't recall ever having before I started abx treatment for Lyme. When I did start to notice them, and people on a lyme forum also mentioned having them, I asked my LLMD. He told me they were age spots and he was surprised I didn't have more. :confused: I'm in my early 30s, for crying out loud!!I've been tested for coinfections twice.. supposedly I don't have any, but I've had lyme for several years before diagnosis, and I've been on abx for almost 15 months now.I have these spots too, except they're about the size of a pencil point.I probably have around ten to twelve of them above the waise and below my neck. I'm twenty years old and know for sure that I have had them since I was sixteen. What are they?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 4, 2010
    • 03:21 AM
    Flag this Response
  • It's cherry angioma (campbell de morgan spots). not petechiae. Do you know what caused this? medications, drugs, illness etc?Nothing above. It's common genetic abnormality. You have a very good chance to have many of them if you had a redhead ancestor. There no cure. They can be removed but it's not 100% safe. Live with it.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 5, 2010
    • 00:03 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Nothing above. It's common genetic abnormality. You have a very good chance to have many of them if you had a redhead ancestor. There no cure. They can be removed but it's not 100% safe. Live with it.My dad was a redhead b4 he became an oldie :) i was kinda freaking out if it was a deseas cause i already have too many medical problems ! and i dont need any more ! well the last comment makes heaps of sence my dad has also got them spots i have been getting heaps of them over the last year ! and yeah it has a bit to do with age but i will go and see a doctor just in case ! but the ancesstors been redhaired makes heaps of sence! there are heaps of red haired people in my family but not my direct family apart from my dad nor me my brother or my sister have red hair and nether of them have these spots ( why me the only one with all the medical issues ?) arghhhhhh
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 6, 2010
    • 03:55 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Im asian and im 17 and theres no redheads in any of my family line. I still have the same red dots since 14 and continues to increase. The reason behind shouldnt be age or redhead. Redheads have freckles not just red pinpoint dots.
    eugene 1 Replies
    • October 19, 2011
    • 06:06 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi Thread. I am new to posting online anywhere. I looked us similar threads a month ago when i started getting these red splotchy marks above my waist and below my neck. I thought they would just go away on their own but they keep multiply. Not too bad but they don't look to great. Seemed like many people were getting this and it just was some type of parasite eating at the skin. I was recommended to try using oregano oil extract and its been a week later and they have faded drastically. Given, you smell like a heavily oregano-ed pizza, but its well worth it. I put it on in the morning and after a shower at night. Hope this was helpful. I know how annoying those spots could be. Just to clarify to make sure we have the same thing, They are non perfect circles that are redder around the outside and for whiteish on the inside (my skin is white, so it might just be the skin color, if your skin color is another color, I imagine that the center will be that color and not white)
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I have the solution for it, I had tons of them mostly in my shoulder and my chest and my grandma told me to use coconut oil and lay under the sun till you get a dark tan and voila!! they went away and I got an awesome tan. Coconut oil highly recommended it's good for a lot of things and I guess it's only a bunch of blood vessels just doing their thing and the doc said it's genetic too by the way. Good luck!!
    retiredassassin 1 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement