Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

swollen tongue after stroke

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 2 Replies
  • Posted By: brittinfl
  • May 12, 2008
  • 01:46 PM

My friend (55 yrs old) had an ischiemic stroke in the occipital area of her brain, she also had a severe UTI and has diabetes.. She was intubated and 2 weeks later a tracheostomy. Her tongue is so badly swollen she cannot be removed from the ventilator. We are now 8 weeks on and she has full function of all limbs, she is stuck on the vent, with the trache and no one knows what is wrong. The oral surgeon doesn't feel removing her teeth will solve the problem, he feels the tongue muscle is constantly taut, speech therapy is having no effect. Each day when I visit the tongue is bigger and bigger. They have tried changing all her meds in case they are causing this. She has received 2 units of blood over the 8 weeks for anemia, magic mouth wash, anti-histamines, steriods, Zosyn anti biotic, she also managed to ecoli while in ICU, but that appears to be resolved.
She is stuck in hospital here in FL, while her family are states away and cannot stay here to be with her.

Reply Flag this Discussion

2 Replies:

• Hello, my mother (60 yrs) just had a stroke in February 2011 and is suffering from the same thing. The doctors have really given no answer as to why it has occurred. She was allergice to penicillin and they gave her Ceprofloaxin which I felt gave her a bad allergic reaction. She was also intubated with a breathing tube, then put on a trake and peg. I feel like something went extremely wrong with the way the breathing tube was but down her throat. Her tongue had swollen so bad that I thought it was going to explode. The put peroxide on it and some type of coating for singers and actors to keep it lubricated, but it has not gone down to normal size yet. I think her tongue was cutting into it also. It is very disturbing, because my mother is sensative and knows that when she have company, everyone sees her tongue hanging out of her mouth and there is nothing she can do about it. I just keep praying to the Lord who is The Great Physician and Healer to perform his living word over her life and make her whole, but I still want answers.My friend (55 yrs old) had an ischiemic stroke in the occipital area of her brain, she also had a severe UTI and has diabetes.. She was intubated and 2 weeks later a tracheostomy. Her tongue is so badly swollen she cannot be removed from the ventilator. We are now 8 weeks on and she has full function of all limbs, she is stuck on the vent, with the trache and no one knows what is wrong. The oral surgeon doesn't feel removing her teeth will solve the problem, he feels the tongue muscle is constantly taut, speech therapy is having no effect. Each day when I visit the tongue is bigger and bigger. They have tried changing all her meds in case they are causing this. She has received 2 units of blood over the 8 weeks for anemia, magic mouth wash, anti-histamines, steriods, Zosyn anti biotic, she also managed to ecoli while in ICU, but that appears to be resolved. She is stuck in hospital here in FL, while her family are states away and cannot stay here to be with her.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Hello, my mother (60 yrs) just had a stroke in February 2011 and is suffering from the same thing. The doctors have really given no answer as to why it has occurred. She was allergice to penicillin and they gave her Ceprofloaxin which I felt gave her a bad allergic reaction. She was also intubated with a breathing tube, then put on a trake and peg. I feel like something went extremely wrong with the way the breathing tube was but down her throat. Her tongue had swollen so bad that I thought it was going to explode. The put peroxide on it and some type of coating for singers and actors to keep it lubricated, but it has not gone down to normal size yet. I think her tongue was cutting into it also. It is very disturbing, because my mother is sensative and knows that when she have company, everyone sees her tongue hanging out of her mouth and there is nothing she can do about it. I just keep praying to the Lord who is The Great Physician and Healer to perform his living word over her life and make her whole, but I still want answers.my friend had her tongue cut down to a normal size by a plastic surgeon and she was able to close her mouth, smile and begin to communicate with us again.
    brittinfl 1 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement