Discussions By Condition: Hair conditions

My 7 yr old has Alopecia - Please Help!

Posted In: Hair conditions 13 Replies
  • Posted By: mickey7
  • May 4, 2008
  • 01:21 AM

I am new to this forum, and hoping that somebody can help me. Last Nov., my daughter started developing bald spots on her head. She was fine one day, and then the next I started noticing spots all over her head. She was finally diagnosed in Jan. with Alopecia. The doctor gave us a topical to put on her head twice a day. What has been difficult about this is that it makes her hair greasy and very smelly. I have noticed hair growing back, but I am also noticing new spots on her head. I am starting to get very scared for her. The doctor could not give me a distinctive cause for this, so I am wondering if anyone else has had this happen. If so, what treatments worked for you, and how long did it take? Will my daughter suffer permanent balding in those spots? She has dark hair so it is obvious. These spots are developing all over her head and not just in one spot. What can I do to help her? As a baby, she experienced some stressful times. She was a NICU baby for two weeks. She had impetigo and many shots to cure it. She never liked loud noises as a baby or toddler. She was colicky and is Very strong willed. She can be overly sensitive emotionally and physically (clothes etc..). There has not been any trauma to her head, so I am wondering if it is stress related?

She has been doing gymnastics since she was three and is extremely advanced for her age. The skills that she does are very advanced as well. Could the stress on her body from the gymnastics be affecting her hair? I Also just had a new baby in Jan. (this is my 3rd), but she seems like she has adjusted extremely well to this.

If anyone has any insight, help or suggestions for me, please respond.

I am a Mom desperate to help her daughter!

Thank you!!!!

Reply Flag this Discussion

13 Replies:

• Alopecia is fairly common - especially in children.It is considered an autoimmune condition. You can have hair growing back while hair continues to fall out.Has she had blood work to rule out any other causes? Prognosis is variable depending on the type of alopecia that she has - some are transient and some last longer.These are questions you really should be asking her doctor.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • http://www.sesderma.com/ingles/swfproductos/366.swfmy friend's daughter was diagnosed at 12 years old with the areata type and she tried the product above from www.sesderma.com and worked a little bit, but you need to make sure is the right product for your baby, research it first and keep us posted please, good Luck to you and baby!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 19, 2008
    • 06:45 PM
    Flag this Response
  • My son was recomended the seskavel products for his alopecia as well. we were not sure what one to choose as there are alot of alopecia treatments on the sesderma site. We ended up sending an e-mail through the website and they contacted us directly to recomend what was best for his situation. We got the shampoo recomended below with some pills and had noticeable results quickly. I would recomend contacting them, from my experience thell help you choose whats best for a young one. the full list of hair loss products is at http://www.sesderma.com/ingles/therapeutic_products.php?sf=29
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 23, 2008
    • 02:03 PM
    Flag this Response
  • my daughter is 8 and ive just found out that she has alopecia areta. like your daughter she is very advanced for her age and although it is not know why it happens in children i have been told its to do with the hormones it may be that her hormones are advanced for her age ie she may have her periods and develope quicker than supposed to and hence why the body is attacking the hormones as it does not know how to deal with it as its early. its only a suggestion and i may be completly wrong but its funny how its happened in both your child and mine when they are advanced for there age. I hope your daughter gets better soon vicky
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 8, 2008
    • 03:37 PM
    Flag this Response
  • When my son was 2 (he is now 6) I noticed a small balled spot on the back of his head. I immediately scheduled an appointment with his pediatrician. She suspected alopecia so she sent us to a dermatologist who then diagnosed my son with alopecia. By the time we had the appointment with the dermatologist my son already had 2 more balled spots on his head and it had only been a few weeks. His first round of treatments from this dermatologist consisted of two topical creams, Anthralin which is an irritant, another cream which was a steroid along with 17 to 18 steroid shots on his scalp. The treatment worked and he grew hair back in the balled spots. He had the shots once a month and the creams applied daily. We stopped the treatments after 3 months for two reasons, one the shots were just to painful for him, especially at 2 years old and the creams were causing him to have sores on his head. The Anthralin cream is suppose to cause an allergic reaction but he had open sores on his head. When we stopped the treatments months later he not only lost the hair he re-grew he also began to lose all of his hair. During the many months after stopping treatment he did start to re-grow his hair without treatment and had almost a full head of hair except for a spot on the back of his head at the nap and around both of his ears then it started falling out again and we we started shaving his head because he only head a few strands of hair. Then it started growing back so we stopped shaving his head and he had almost a full head of hair again. At this point I started looking for a new dermatologist that had experience with children and alopecia . It took me several months to find a new dermatologist and he started loosing his hair quickly. Approximately 5 months ago my son started seeing his new dermatologist. When he started he had many bald areas, most of the hair he did have was on the top of his head with a little hair on the sides and back. The dermatologist gave me a prescription for a cream that numbs his head so he doesn't feel the shots at all. He has had the steroid shots once a month for 5 months and now has a full head of hair except for a spot on the back of his head near the nap(bottom of his scalp) and slight growth near his ears. The dermatologist has said that around the ears and the nap are hard to treat due to the fact that the areas are more bony. I am more than happy with his progress with his treatments. He was able to start school this year with a full head of hair but I do realize that alopecia is very unpredictable and if the treatments are stopped there is a very probable chance he will loose his hair again. His dermatologist also just added a topical steroid to his treatment as a maintenance treatment. My best advice to you is to find a dermatologist that has experience with alopecia and children. The best place to look is a Childrens Hospital in your area. My son goes to Tufts Floating Hospital for children in Boston,Ma were he see's Daniel S. Loo, MD.
    mylitlbratz 1 Replies
    • October 19, 2008
    • 08:37 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hiya im 15 and ive had alopecia since i was six, its an awful thing to have, i was given a lotion for mine but it didnt really work, now my hair has grown back mostly except at the back where i have no hair but i can hide it, mostly i was told try not to worry about it and try and forget about it although you know its there when you see it everyday, but when i started high school i had to wear a bandanna, which i didnt really want to, but alopecia is quite a common thing. i just hate it but everyone has there own problems :/, every one is different so it could grow back and never come back or it could just grown then come back, which i think it is doin for me now :(.
  • a mixture of castor oil, olive oil and almond oil in equal proportions can also be used to nourish, strengthen and promote the growth of hair. Covering the head with a moist, warm towel immediately after the massage will help in maximizing the results as the oil penetrates deep into the scalp. Fruits, green leafy vegetables, whole grains, dairy products, seafood and meats are recommended for the treatment of alopecia areata. Pumpkin seeds, saw palmetto and stinging nettle root are believed to be beneficial in treating hair fall linked with hormonal issues. Sufficient rest, meditation and deep breathing techniques will help in reducing hair loss aggravated by stress and anxiety. Since pollution and sunlight can also aggravate hair fall, it is advisable to cover the head with a scarf when outdoors. :)
    dale91 143 Replies Flag this Response
  • HI, my daugher is 5 and was diagnosed 6 monthis ago with Alopecia Areata. We started using clobetasol alcohol version twice a day with excellent results. It absorbs quickly and leaves no residue. It can be drying, but we also use Pantein Hair Restoratives shampoo and conditioner and it helps. She originally lost about 60% of her hair and it grew back with this treatment. We also added multivitamins and borage oil to her diet. We weaned her treatment to once a day and her hair now has bascially all fallen out. She may have 10% left. We now are using anthralin cream, not working as well, on half of her head once a day for 30-45 minutes and the colbetasol twice a day on the other side of her head. This is just a test to see which treatment is working better. So far I think the colbetasol side is going to prove better, but you can see sprouts starting on both sides. We will see. It is a VERY difficult thing, we use head wraps to hide her scalp when in public. For a little girl, the stares are horrible. People are so mean, adults are far worse than kids! We also are going to start seeing a therapist. She has been much more emotional and having bed wetting since all this has started. I would discurage any oral steriod given your childs age. The complications of them are far worse than hair loss. Oh, we are also going to get more blood tests for my daughter to rule out lupus. She has always had allergies and asthma...so just wanting to make sure we are not missing something bigger. Good luck and please post if you have found some solutions!I am new to this forum, and hoping that somebody can help me. Last Nov., my daughter started developing bald spots on her head. She was fine one day, and then the next I started noticing spots all over her head. She was finally diagnosed in Jan. with Alopecia. The doctor gave us a topical to put on her head twice a day. What has been difficult about this is that it makes her hair greasy and very smelly. I have noticed hair growing back, but I am also noticing new spots on her head. I am starting to get very scared for her. The doctor could not give me a distinctive cause for this, so I am wondering if anyone else has had this happen. If so, what treatments worked for you, and how long did it take? Will my daughter suffer permanent balding in those spots? She has dark hair so it is obvious. These spots are developing all over her head and not just in one spot. What can I do to help her? As a baby, she experienced some stressful times. She was a NICU baby for two weeks. She had impetigo and many shots to cure it. She never liked loud noises as a baby or toddler. She was colicky and is Very strong willed. She can be overly sensitive emotionally and physically (clothes etc..). There has not been any trauma to her head, so I am wondering if it is stress related? She has been doing gymnastics since she was three and is extremely advanced for her age. The skills that she does are very advanced as well. Could the stress on her body from the gymnastics be affecting her hair? I Also just had a new baby in Jan. (this is my 3rd), but she seems like she has adjusted extremely well to this. If anyone has any insight, help or suggestions for me, please respond. I am a Mom desperate to help her daughter! Thank you!!!!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 3, 2011
    • 07:23 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Stress is not the reason of Alopecia.In very young age we cant say that its happening due to genetic factor.You must check her/his food that some thing is harming her and creating side effects.Later contact any experienced surgeon or physician.
    Cathrene 10 Replies Flag this Response
  • I'm pained to hear this , but i must also remind you that alopecia is common . Most of the time it is triggered my hormonal changes . Most patients that go under anesthesia do develop some hair-loss as a very common side effect. It is more common around the hairline in the front and back though. But in this case I'm not all that sure . http://www.lifemojo.com/lifestyle/causes-and-testing-methods-for-alopecia-excessive-hair-loss-123046233
  • Stress is not the reason of Alopecia.In very young age we cant say that its happening due to genetic factor.You must check her/his food that some thing is harming her and creating side effects.Later contact any experienced surgeon or physician.clip hair extensions
    Cathrene 10 Replies Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• Hi, I am not a doctor but an experienced mom of a 5 yrs old daughter, she got very big balded patches all over the head and i was very worried consult many doctors ,,spend lot of money on medicines but nothing worked out and dermatologist even said that if the hair comes back there are chances to loose again and it can take 6-9 months to get them back.. but you can understand a mom cant wait that long.. i continued my search and got two solutions.That really worked out and its being 3rd month now and my baby got all her hairs back.first thing.. there is oil -- name- -- Divya kesh tail ...price range from $5-$8 depending on from where you order, i used this site delivery was very quick.http://divyaproducts.com/index.php?dispatch=categories.view&category_id=6You do google and see if you can get the better price.. i used it every day on full head and it really worked out, it doesn't have any side affect any body can use it, even i am using it and my normal hair fall is now stopped.BUT YOU HAVE TO BEAR THE BAD SMELL OF THIS(after some time you will be used to it). BUT THATS A PERMANENT THING.If you are working then apply on affected area every night and wash it ,and during the weekend apply on full head.My daughter hates the smell so i apply when she sleeps.Second Solution is apply garlic juice on affected area every day 3 times . If you feel burning then put ice pack.(i used it in early stages and that also helped)One more thing i want to share that there is a shampoo of divya product --KESH KANTI HAIR SHAMPOO, ( I DIDN'T USE IT AS IT DOES HAVE THE BAD SMELL TOO BUT IF YOU CAN USE THEN USE EVERY WEEKEND).I wish all the kids and young ones get well.God bless every one.ThanksPlease share if it helped you.:)
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 19, 2011
    • 02:48 AM
    Flag this Response
  • hi mickey7, I think there are various conditions that may manifest themselves in alopecia. What did your Doctor say that he thinks causes the alopecia? Did he run tests and then say that it was alopecia or did he just look at the hairloss. That is all I am asking. Alopecia is usually caused in adults through some trauma but in a 7 year old, what would cause trauma? Its worth checking out and ruling out the other causes before they would just expect you to think that alopecia is a childhood condition. In my experience alopecia is not a childhood illness all by itself.Just interested in knowing how this diagnosis was arrived at in a child. Read more about here: http://www.aihr.com.au/?p=916
    renagraham 1 Replies
    • December 22, 2011
    • 05:49 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement