Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

MRI results L4 L5/L5 S1 disc abutting nerve constipated

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 0 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • May 1, 2008
  • 01:47 AM

John 36 yr. old male 147 lbs. 6 foot with back pain for three years.
I was sitting in a chair typing on the computer and I sneezed, went forward a little and had sudden severe pain in my lower back. Started to become bloated and constipated about two months after the pain started. Finally after a year and a half, the doctor(free clinic no insurance, can't work)sent me for an MRI and found three bulging discs. I received three epideral injections my back felt better for a while, but stayed constipated and bloated all the time.This was in 2005. Since then I've felt a little better the only way I can go to the bathroom is with stool softners and suppositories together. It appears that when I lift something and hurt my back a little the constipation gets worse. The other day I coughed and felt a pop in my lower back. Again instant severe pain. My doctor refuses to believe that my constipation has anything to do with my back problem. They sent me for a sigmoidoscopy. Everything was normal. Treated me for IBS didn't work. Anal sphincter is very tight doctor doesn't know why. Now they are trying to send me to a surgeon to possibly cut part of the muscle. Here are the results from my most recent MRI. They are comparing it to the original one when I first had my injury.

alignment is within normal limits

L1-L2 Minimal disc bulge with slight flattening of the ventral thecal sac, overall, not significantly changed when campared to previous study.

L4-L5 Mild diffuse disc bulge with broad based right parasagittal focal disc protrusion appearing slightly less prominent than on the prevous study. Disc bulge appears to abut the descending L5 nerve roots similar to the prior study. There is moderate right inferior foraminal stenoses and midl to moderate inferior left foraminal stenosis. Overall, there is at least mild central spinal canal stenosis.

L5-S1 Mild diffuse disc bulge with broad based posterior focal disc protrusion slightly less prominent on the previous study. There is an indentation of the ventral thecal sac with protruded disc abutting the descending right S1 nerve root. There may be a small posterior annular tear. Overall, there is probably midl central spinal canal stenosis and minimal inferior foraminal narrowing.

Impression Notable findings at L5-S1 and L4-L5 level, however the overall appearance of disc protrusions at these levels seem slightly less prominent than on the previous study.

Does anyone have any ideas? I would appreciate any suggestions.

Reply Flag this Discussion
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement