Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

slurred speach and left leg drags

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 9 Replies
  • Posted By: cantrun
  • April 28, 2008
  • 00:44 AM

Can anyone tell me why this is happening. I went to a neourologist and he wants to do a MRI and EMG. I can walk but not run.

Reply Flag this Discussion

9 Replies:

• You need the test; you could have had a stroke and need physical therapy.
    Monsterlove 2,921 Replies Flag this Response
  • A Neuro recommended a blood test and mri and emg. Neither the blood or MRI showed anything, and since every nurse gasped when I mentioned the emg, I canceled it. Then the Neuro insisted I should do it, and I may have ALS. This really scared me, so I'm waiting, since I have read where it progresses pretty fast and I haven't changed for several months. I have too much saliva, can not run, and must consentrate to make my left leg walk correctly, and the left hand/arm is weak but still works.But, I did do some yard work, got cold and my cold hands became so weak I couldnt un zip my coat until they warmed up.
    cantrun 5 Replies Flag this Response
  • You need the EMG - like yesterday.Slurred speech and neurological changes are not good.Good luck.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Please explain, since there's absolutely no cure, and its easier to diagnose with more symptoms. thanks
  • Please explain, since there's absolutely no cure, and its easier to diagnose with more symptoms. thanksIt isn't necessarily ALS that I would initially be concerned about but that you have had a stroke - which the symptoms fit as well.Either way the EMG would at least tell you what is going on and you can treat accordingly. There are some treatments for ALS that can help manage the symptoms - improve quality of life. A stroke needs to be ruled out - and a future one prevented.
  • The other things that has always happened. I can walk almost normally at work, but increase the stress from just talking to someone I dont know, etc and my leg almost stops working. Then after a few minutes after I calm down, I can walk normally. Is this a Transient Ischemic attack?thanks
  • Also, I may have had a minor stroke, since the stress stopping my leg has going on for 5 months. But once in the beginning I suddenly fell forward in my kitchen with a small bowl in my left hand. It landed between my mouth and the wood floor breaking my nose and cutting my face, as it broke in several pieces. Even though I needed stiches, I brushed it off... This is what started my desire to get this checked.
  • Even though you sound like you had a stroke, wouldn't the MRI have shown signs? I worked for someone once who dragged one leg almost unoticeably for years and later had more and more other symptoms, and finally had full blown Parkinson's. ..
  • Finished the EMG and the Neuro said I had ALS, but admitted it could be a wide range of possibilities. It sure would be nice to hear from someone on what the best thing is to do to help myself. For now, I'm still working and walking...
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement