Discussions By Condition: Medical Stories

Provigil - do you have side affects?

Posted In: Medical Stories 11 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • April 26, 2008
  • 11:03 PM

I have tingling and cramping in my feet, shins, calves and thighs. After going on-line and doing some searching I have found that Provigil (a drug to help keep me awake) can cause these side affects, but usually in only 1% of the cases. Someone stated that it caused her restless legs symptoms to intensify. Does anyone else take Provigil and you are having similar side affects? I have had blood tests by my family doctor, and a neurologist and both have found nothing. I go for a follow-up this Wednesday to see the Neurologist. In the meantime, I also found someone on-line who said to try stress formula high-potency Vitamin B with C. The only thing that has happened with this is that I pee neon yellow. Please advise.:confused:

Reply Flag this Discussion

11 Replies:

• Side effects? Yes I was extremely fortunate after taking Provigil ( soon to be renamed Nuvigil )to haved survived an experience with a recognized form of side effect to Provigil / Nuvigil known as delayed-reaction drug hypersensitivity ( DRDH ). Humans as individuals have long been known to be capable of manifesting hypersensitivity reactions to certain substances, not just drugs, which most other people are left unfazed by. The peanut is the classic example of a substance which can, in even tiny amounts, touch off a major hypersensitivity reaction in near instaneous fashion after exposure in a susceptible person. The peanut hypersensitivity can be strong enough to induce anaphylactic shock, a condition which can quickly turn fatal if not properly and immediately dealt with medically.But as dangerous as a peanut hypersensitivity (often called merely an "allergy) can be, the delayed hypersensitivity reactions of the sort which can accompany the use of Provigil / Nuvigil and a handful of other prescription medications is more dangerous still. This is because a hypersensitivity to a medication which does not occur within temporal proximity to the initial use of the drug is far less likely to be identified as the causative factor soon enough to prevent the failure of organs, or even death, from occuring first.People tend to look at a post consumption 'delayed reaction' as involving delays which they associate with gastric problems or food poisoning. Thus they are inclined to think of a 'delayed reaction' effect involving a newly prescribed drug in terms of hours, or at most a day or two.But the first appearance of a delayed reaction hypersensitivity to a medication such as Provigil / Nuvigil is not measurable in terms of hours or even days, because Provigil / Nuvigil hypersensitivity is very unlikely to become symtomatic until a minimum of TWO WEEKS has passed, and is more likely to occur even later - 4 weeks, 6 weeks, 2 months sometime as many as 3 months will pass before hypersensitivity symptoms will take shape. Long enough in many cases for it not to occur to the Provigil / Nuvigil user, or even to their physicians, that the drug is causing, a sudden massive rash, or a rapid sequence of multiple organ failures, or hallucinations. Brain damage can occur if the unsuspecting patient goes into severe hypotension for days, and hypotension can quickly convert itself into shock, bringing about acute kidney failure, heart failure, acute respiratory distress.For those whom Provigil / Nuvigil will affect in this way, starting with the first day of Provigil therapy and continuing with a daily dose for a few weeks or months, amounts to the daily consumption of a series of 'time bombs', ready to go off at any time or not at all.The question you must ask yourself no matter how legitimate your use of Provigil or Nuvigil is, medically speaking, is whether your need for the drug is worth putting your life at a small but very real risk of being lost over the next few weeks or months. Every side effect I describe here is one which I myself experienced after I had taken Provigil for 2 months. I spent 2 weeks in the ICU, 9 of those in a coma - 22 days in all. I remember nothing except for parts of the 5 days which preceeded my hospital discharge. I was very lucky to survive, and I wish that someone like me had told me what risks I faced before I decided to face them. But there are not many people around to tell their personal story and warn others as I have to you. Most of them, regrettably, have not survived to tell the tale.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Bruce,Thank you for your input on Provigil. I've been taking this drug for over three years and haven't had any trouble, except for prior tingling in my legs/feet, but that has gone away. The reason I am taking Provigil is because I have experienced a chemical imbalance due to severe whiplash/snap of the neck from a car accident where it left me drowsy throughout the day. I went through a sleep study where I was diagnosed and put on Provigil even though it is for narc patients. I also take Requip, which is used for restless legs. If I do not take Provigil, then the sleepy affects of Requip will then make me also tired then I'll be in BIG trouble. I'm kind of at a loss because I need to stay alert in my job, as I am an armed security officer. If you have additional info or ideas, please let me know.Thank you again for your input!Laurie
  • I have tingling and cramping in my feet, shins, calves and thighs. After going on-line and doing some searching I have found that Provigil (a drug to help keep me awake) can cause these side affects, but usually in only 1% of the cases. Someone stated that it caused her restless legs symptoms to intensify. Does anyone else take Provigil and you are having similar side affects? I have had blood tests by my family doctor, and a neurologist and both have found nothing. I go for a follow-up this Wednesday to see the Neurologist. In the meantime, I also found someone on-line who said to try stress formula high-potency Vitamin B with C. The only thing that has happened with this is that I pee neon yellow. Please advise.:confused: Hi LMJ, I took Provigil for a couple of years. After I started methylb12 my sleep disorder was cured and I no longer needed provigil. The tingling and cramping in feet and legs are also b12 deficiency symptoms, as well as sleep disorders, abnormal fatigue and several hundred other symptoms.http://forums.wrongdiagnosis.com/showthread.php?p=152750&posted=1#post152750 If you want to know which brands work best as some don't work at all and most work poorly, come on over to the b12 forum and check out the full symptoms list.
    Freddd 3,576 Replies Flag this Response
  • What do you look for a hypersensitivity reaction? My daughter took it or 3 days, started hallucinatining yesterday, and still is hallucinating on the fifth day. i am hoping it will just get out of her system, but I'm scared.
  • What do you look for a hypersensitivity reaction? My daughter took it or 3 days, started hallucinatining yesterday, and still is hallucinating on the fifth day. i am hoping it will just get out of her system, but I'm scared. Hi Scaredmom11, I take it she has discontinued taking Provigil. Provigil affects the neurotransmitters. I do not know if it will help but some methylb12 sublingual might stop the hallucinations, it does under some other circumstances. A lack of methylb12 causes neurotransmitter changes that causes hallucinations. The two five star effective brands are Jarrow Formulas 5mg and 1mg and Enzymatic Therapy 1mg. Let them linger under tongue or upper lip for 45 minutes or longer for best effectiveness. Swallowing whole or chewing and slurping down has little or no effect. Some have found Country Life Dibencozide (also 5 stars, adenosylb12, the other active b12) as essential to the process of stopping hallucinations. No guarentees but these vitamins can't hurt and might help. They also can cure the underlying sleep disorder for which people take provigil in the first place. Sleep disorders are a b12 deficiency symptom. When the b12 stops the hallucinations, it happens in minutes to hours. No other brands that have been tested are anywhere near as effective and some are totally ineffective.
    Freddd 3,576 Replies Flag this Response
  • I take Provigil for severe fatigue. I've had no problems.Perhaps what you experienced what SJS or Stevens Johnson Syndrome? Provigil has been known to cause it and it seems almost any drug can. There is a very good website that explains it all and tells people's stories.http://www.sjsupport.org/ Everyone should be aware of the symptoms because many drugs can cause this terrible syndrome. Even if you have taken a drug for years without any effect, it can suddenly happen.
    2bpainfree 15 Replies Flag this Response
  • I have been taking Provigil for years to ease my constant fatigue and sleepiness. I ran out after taking half a dose for a week and can't get more for a few days. I now am having what I believe to be withdrawal symptoms. I continuously get flashes in my head and upper torso anytime I move, somewhat like low grade electrical shocks. I feel like I can't accomplish anything. I couldn't effectively work today or wait on customers. All I wanted to do was sleep so I would quit feeling what I was feeling. I came home tonight and slept for hours. When I woke up, I thought I felt better for a few minutes, then it started up again. I am scared to go to work tomorrow but this is my busiest season and can't afford to be closed. I need help quick. I have never taken more than the prescribed amoun - in fact the doctor raised my prescription to twice a day instead of once, but I only did this for a short time because i was worried about the addiction possibilities. Will taking B12 help the symptoms? Please respond ASAP . :mad:
    ellemmae 2 Replies
    • February 20, 2010
    • 06:46 AM
    Flag this Response
  • More on side effects while taking Provigil. - I have had a lot of cramping in my feet, especially if they get even slightly cold. I have had a lot of problems with my eyes - pain, feeling like they are very tired and blurred vision. I have virtulally no appetite. I have also developed involuntary mouth movements. My mouth chatters, as if I am very cold. This comes on at any time, but especially if I am rushed, nervous or anxious. I can only stop it by holding my mouth tightly shut or clenching my teeth and even then, I can still feel it. The last month or so, my legs swell above my socks every day, even I roll the top down to my ankles. I am several other meds, so I don't know if the mouth thing or swelling is caused by Provigil. I am generally a mess of health problems on a mess of meds with a mess of side effects. Any answers?/
    ellemmae 2 Replies
    • February 20, 2010
    • 07:00 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi. I have taken provigil ( modalert) for 5 months and till now I haven't had any trouble or side effect with it! I can work continuously in 2,5 days without sleeping and asleep!
  • I have worked in the field of drug safety in the past and you can look up all adverse drug reactions reported to the FDA and their AERS Database. Look under the "muscular" entries for you specific side effects.www.aersdatabase.com
    healthnut25 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • Hi,I think every drugs has side effects, esp these kind of drugs.Provigil also known as Modafinil, Alertec, Modavigil and Modalert as it is originally created to treat people with sleeping disorders, and as we use provigil, the reaction of our body towards the effect of provigil, makes us feel the physical side effects like tingling and cramping of feet. There are pros and cons of using modafinil and we have to be aware of it. You must carefully study if the pros of using outweigh the cons, then nothing to be worried about.I hope it helps.
    andrewhollywheel 6 Replies Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement