Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Stomach really messed up

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 4 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • April 22, 2008
  • 06:51 AM

It all started about a year ago: It was Memorial Day weekend and I went to bed feeling like I had heartburn in my stomach. I woke up the next morning and was vomiting uncontrollablly. Two hours later it was accompanied by diarriah. This continued for over 8 hours until I finally went to the ER because not only would it not stop, the diarriah was bloody. The ER said it was either Girardia, E Coli or Salmonella. I was given Levaquin and sent home. But I never really got better.

For the next two months, I hardly ate. Coke was the only thing that I drank and often was the only thing that I would consume on a daily basis. Chicken noodle soup usually went down OK but often I had no appetite whatsoever. After eating anthing, I would usually feel extremely nauseaous, throw up, or have severe stomach pain that would make movement nearly impossible. Often times the heartburn that was in my stomach would also occur. Not all of this happened every time I ate but it was on a daily basis and I could get some or all of the symptoms.

I was hosptialized in late July for a week. They were thinking it was my gallbladder but there were no gallstones, the hydascan was clean as were the CT and MRI and ultrasound. My appendix was fine, and an endoscopy showed no abnormalities. The only remarkable item was that I had a slightly long gastric emptying time, but nothing that was of concern to the doctors. I was eventually diagnosed with IBS since they could find no other answers. After over four months of various mediciatons for the symptoms, nothing ever really helped so we stopped treatment.

I was told by a friend to try the Celiac diet for a month which helped somewhat but not enough to really make me want to continue with it.

It's been a year now and I deal with some or all of the following on a daily basis:

Severe, sharp pain (ALWAYS DAILY) from my actual stomach down through to the pelvic region.
Nausea, usually after eating
"Heartburn" in my stomach region
Pain when my abdomen is touched
Exhaustion after 12 hours of sleep

One other remarkable thing is this: a few weeks before the 'poisioning' last May, I passed out in the shower. After the poisioning event, it happened about 20 times over the course of three months. I wouldn't completely go unconscious but I would end up lying on the floor and saw black. It still comes and goes but is not nearly as severe.

Any help would be much appreciated! In conclusion the following tests have also been run and come back clean:
Giardia
Celiac pannel (twice)

Thanks for any help you might be able to provide! I just want the pain to stop!

Reply Flag this Discussion

4 Replies:

• I'm so sorry to hear your symptoms haven't cleared up after all of this time. :( A couple of thoughts:1. Gastroparesis can be brought on by infection. If you did have food poisoning (or another illness) this may have triggered this condition in you. Also gastroparesis on its own can cause pain, heatburn, loss of appetite, etc., and certain types of food poisoning can cause neurological symptoms (the blacking out). More studies now have also shown that serious bouts of food poisoning are tied to long term health problems.2. Outside of Celiac disease have any of your physicians looked into other potential digestive tract illnesses like Chron's?3. Since food poisoning can attack your CNS, has anyone ran any neurological testing to make sure your digestive symptoms don't have a neurological origin?
    GD2005 61 Replies Flag this Response
  • I have been on several rounds of antibiotics as well as medication for parasites since I was sick last May. Would they have taken care of the gastroparesis? My father actually has been diagnosed with Chrone's disease, however he has a very unusual case because they are unable to truly control it after trying over 3 years of medications. They did do the endoscopy both upper and lower with nothing abnormal showing. EVERYTHING was negative! I have not had any neurological testing done. This sounds interesting....what would be some tell tale signs? How would I go about this? What would I want to have done?Thanks for you imput! I'm really open to trying anything at this point!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I was searching a bit online and found that a few illnesses that imitate primary gastroparesis are Fibromyalgia, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (which all have neurological connections and some are believed to be tied to prior infection). You may want to consider reading up on some of these (and other) neurological illnesses and see if any fit your situation. I'll be sure to let you know if I can think of anything else. Best of luck.
    GD2005 61 Replies Flag this Response
  • Ok so I just had to reply to this because it sounds like the same thing I went through last year! I was miss-diagnosed for months and then finally one doctor figured it out. Firstly, you need to get a stool sample! PRONTO! It sounds like to me you have CDIFF. This is short for Clostridium Difficile and I unfortunately had it. It is a type of colitis which I actually got from being over-medicated by another doctor. You need to check into this pronto because it can be fatal. This illness is usually an older person's disease (and I'm only 24) but obviously younger people can get it (I did) it's just rare! If your main symptom is SEVERE abdominal pain, then this is probably it! I hope this helps! If you have any other questions, I would be more then happy to answer them for you! My email is pebbles_sr@hotmail.com! Good luck and I hope this helps:)
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement