Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

head tingling/sore neck/burning sensations

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 31 Replies
  • Posted By: kabbara85
  • April 21, 2008
  • 11:40 AM

This problem has been occuring for almost 1 year now. Last year this time I was going through a rough time experiencing anxiety. I had anxiety attacks occasionaly. What I was fearful the most was my health issues, i.e my headache was a tumor, my chestpain meant I was about to have a heart attack. I my physical being was on a downfall because of all the stresses I was experiencing. Just about when my anxiety vanished I started feeling some crawling sensation at the back left handside of my neck shooting up to my head. This sort of brought the anxiety back. It worried me to the extent where I was consulting GP's on a constant basis trying to free my mind from having a BRAIN TUMOR.
The initial stages included tension headaches, sore muscles, sharp sesnations at the back of my head right on top, mainly on the left.
I must say it had gotten better but is still on my mind everyday from the second I wake up.
Sometimes I feel it is not there, but that is probably because I am occupied.
It tends to get worse if, for example, I was sitting on my desk with my back arched forward with weight on my neck.
I feel releived when I come out of a warm/hot shower. I do not feel it when im lying down.
I do not feel it when Im about to go to sleep lying down. I still get crawling/tingly sensations at the back left of my head.

Everything is on my left side.
I had 2 CT brain scans, neck xrays, neck MRI. However noone can find that I have anything. Can somebody please help.

Reply Flag this Discussion

31 Replies:

• Could be shingles; I know not knowing can cause a lot of anxiety. Or you might need a chiropractor if your back is out; try to find one with a good reputation.
    Monsterlove 2,921 Replies Flag this Response
  • I've been reading multiple forums on this subject and hearing everything from fear of syncope to strokes to heart attacks and everything in between.Now, excluding cases where the tingling is NOT accompanied by muscular trauma, have you considered applying an icepack and using NSAID's to reduce inflammation in the muscles around the neck?I've begun experiencing these sensations in the head and neck for the past couple days after being yanked to the ground by my nutty dog who decided to go after a rabbit. Well, I started by trying tylenol which does nothing except increase your risk of liver failure since it's not anti-inflammatory, using IcyHot which seems to relieve pain but then aggravate my nerves as the heat kicks in, and then finally combining Advil (ibuprofen, Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drug) with an icepack...and already I'm beginning to feel relief.My suspicion is that, and I'm NOT a doctor mind you, the inflamed muscles have put pressure on either the jugular vein and/or one of the cervical nerve rootlets. I've had spinal injury in the past but it was never creating sensations like these (spondylolysis of the L5 about 15 years ago).So I guess my thought is... try Advil and an icepack before breaking out the MRI, EKG, EEG, etc?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 31, 2008
    • 00:20 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I have to say that from reading different testimonials I realized that there are many people with the same symptoms but with no results from their doctors. Many people get MRI's and CT scan and stuff, however, none get the definite results. The most common conditions that occur along with head tingling are headaches, anxiety and sinusitis. Are you taking any anti-anxiety medications?
    KnowSUMthings 153 Replies
    • January 26, 2009
    • 01:37 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Kabbara, I am in tears now because I am experiencing the same exact thing you are complete with the anxiety and everything. I have gotten and MRI and am awaiting the results, just recently did blood work and am awaiting those results too. I have been all over the internet looking for someone with an answer. I know my doctors, family and friends think I am going crazy but they dont know how it feels to constantly be worried about this feeling in your head. I too have tingling in my neck and head...it is also accompanied by a warm heated sensation in the back of my head if that makes sense. I need answers. If you find anything out please post it.Thanks.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Did you find out what was causing this. I have a lot of the same symptoms but mine is on top of my head.
  • Hi, i know its been a few years since these post but ive been gettn the same pains, do any of you have any new info or outcomes? and for Kabbara, did the results come back ok?Kabbara, I am in tears now because I am experiencing the same exact thing you are complete with the anxiety and everything. I have gotten and MRI and am awaiting the results, just recently did blood work and am awaiting those results too. I have been all over the internet looking for someone with an answer. I know my doctors, family and friends think I am going crazy but they dont know how it feels to constantly be worried about this feeling in your head. I too have tingling in my neck and head...it is also accompanied by a warm heated sensation in the back of my head if that makes sense. I need answers. If you find anything out please post it.Thanks.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 7, 2010
    • 03:49 AM
    Flag this Response
  • i have been having these tingling sensationsin my shoulders and in my head too. it started about 2 months ago. i had a baby by c section 18 weeks ago, i don't know if that has anything to do with it? i had a ct scan today of the cervical spine and head. my doctor keeps telling me i have a sinus infection but i think its something different. i'm very scared and i'm thinking the worst possible thing, like a brain tumor or an aneurysm. i'm only 21 so my doctor has pretty well ruled that out. if anyone has any answers please post!
    FeFe88 1 Replies
    • January 25, 2010
    • 04:06 PM
    Flag this Response
  • This problem has been occuring for almost 1 year now. Last year this time I was going through a rough time experiencing anxiety. I had anxiety attacks occasionaly. What I was fearful the most was my health issues, i.e my headache was a tumor, my chestpain meant I was about to have a heart attack. I my physical being was on a downfall because of all the stresses I was experiencing. Just about when my anxiety vanished I started feeling some crawling sensation at the back left handside of my neck shooting up to my head. This sort of brought the anxiety back. It worried me to the extent where I was consulting GP's on a constant basis trying to free my mind from having a BRAIN TUMOR. The initial stages included tension headaches, sore muscles, sharp sesnations at the back of my head right on top, mainly on the left.I must say it had gotten better but is still on my mind everyday from the second I wake up.Sometimes I feel it is not there, but that is probably because I am occupied.It tends to get worse if, for example, I was sitting on my desk with my back arched forward with weight on my neck.I feel releived when I come out of a warm/hot shower. I do not feel it when im lying down.I do not feel it when Im about to go to sleep lying down. I still get crawling/tingly sensations at the back left of my head. Everything is on my left side.I had 2 CT brain scans, neck xrays, neck MRI. However noone can find that I have anything. Can somebody please help.Ok I have been driving myself crazy i'm
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 11, 2010
    • 10:25 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I am a 24 yr old female and am also having the same sensation. I have been having head aches on the right side of my head for about 8 or 9 months and now the icy hot tingling. It may be stress related but it's right on the back of the right side of my head. I am convinced there is a lump but I think im just worried. Please someone have the answer!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 17, 2010
    • 02:25 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Kabbara, I am in tears now because I am experiencing the same exact thing you are complete with the anxiety and everything. I have gotten and MRI and am awaiting the results, just recently did blood work and am awaiting those results too. I have been all over the internet looking for someone with an answer. I know my doctors, family and friends think I am going crazy but they dont know how it feels to constantly be worried about this feeling in your head. I too have tingling in my neck and head...it is also accompanied by a warm heated sensation in the back of my head if that makes sense. I need answers. If you find anything out please post it.Thanks.I am experiencing exactly the same symptoms. I am only nineteen, but right now have no healthcare and can't get to a doctor. I have been searching for an answer for at least a week now.Throughout the day the back of my head will feel uncomfortably hot, with tingling and sensations of pressure. Sometimes the "hot" feeling even spreads to the back of my throat. It doesn't feel like acid reflux, it's different and hard to describe.The pressure occasionally makes me feel dizzy and makes it hard to focus on anything.....If anyone finds an answer, please post.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 25, 2010
    • 00:05 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hello,I went to the doctor with these same issues and it turns out it was due to multiple factors. Before you get a CT scan (equal to the ratiation of 1000 X-rays) do any of these apply:1) Sinus pressure in the head2) Stress which tightens muscles3) Sitting or sleeping in uncomfortable positions for long periods of time, which may be pinching nerves4) Nerves in damaged teethHere is more information and the solutions to 1-4:1) Many allergy symptoms don't actually make your nose run, but in turn, can inflame the nasal passages not allowing the sinuses to drain. Taking a clariton will not only reduce inflamation, but allow the sinuses to drain properly.2) Stiffness in the neck and shoulders is usually do to stress, which can cause tension headaches. Try to massage behind your ears where your neck meets your skull, along the muscle... if you begin to feel relief, its an indicator that you may have migraines accompanied with this. You can take things such as excedrine, but relaxation is the best long term cure (also may lower blood pressure).3) Sitting or sleeping in uncomfortable positions can cause many physical issues with the body. The best cure for this is exercise. It will keep your muscles tight and your bones in their respective places. This also goes in conjunction with #2, because exercise releases endorphines, which relese good feelings; relieving stress. If you are sitting in one place for an extended period of time, streching is essential. Get up to walk around to keep the blood moving.4) Cracked, chipped, etc. teeth have nerve endings that can cause direct pain in the corresponding side of the head the tooth is on. Get these teeth fixed immediately and you may see immediate results and the abscence of tingling.Here is what I had to change/do to resolve the issues:1) Excercise every other day for 10-15 minutes2) Go to the dentist and get all my teeth fixed3) Get up and walk around on breaks... strech at the beginning and end of every break.4) Find a couple hours out of the week (straight 2 hours) to relax my mind almost like meditation.5) When I feel the tingleing comming... rub behind the hears on the muscles of my neck... if that makes it feel better, I use excedrine and find time to relax that day... if it does not feel better when I rub there, then I take a clariton, because I cannot tell when my allergies are actually acting up other than the tingling.
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• Hi guys, i know its been a while since you posted this, but i though i would let you know what i know. i have been having the same problems..burning pain down the left side of my neck and head. it was really bothering me cause i have a family history of brain tumors etc, so i went to the dr i went for a neck xray and a neck ct scan..he said that i had nothing serious but if i wanted i could take my scans to my chiropractor and he might be able to have a look. so as i was seeing a chiro for another issue i took my scans him and he told me that what was happening was the main muscle and tendon in my neck were staying tense and not relaxing like it should and the muscle was trapping a nerve which was causing the burning pain and this was why nothing showed up on scans. so he did an adjustment on my neck and then did some sort tissue massage..and omg seriously the burning pain has almost gone. i go back to see him every 2 weeks and he does the massage on my neck, and he says after a while my muscle and tendon will realise it can relax and the pain will go completly. i know how u all feel this was ruining my life. but i feel great now. so i hope this bit of information might help you all. dont rely just on doctors, use all the other options open to you, like a chiropractor!
  • I am a 24 yr old female and am also having the same sensation. I have been having head aches on the right side of my head for about 8 or 9 months and now the icy hot tingling. It may be stress related but it's right on the back of the right side of my head. I am convinced there is a lump but I think im just worried. Please someone have the answer!I have the same thing lately. I have come to the conclusion that the dull pain may be a not so recent crack from an old root canal. To my doctor it sounds stupid, they all blame TMJ or stress. I did some searching and found that vertical cracks dont show up on x-rays! A small infection (or dead matter - tooth) can lead to discomfort, my instincts tell me that if you clench you teeth when your stressed; can you not also clench your teeth when you have a discomfort from infection?
  • I an active 48 year old women... only health problem is hyper thydroidism....every once on a while I get this distinct burning sensation.. that travels from the base of my skull..favoring the rightside....it travels down my neck to my upper back and rifg top of shoulder............its so weird... its almost paralizing....its like sone grabbing you as you are running past...it immediately frightens me... but once it passes.. which feels like minutes but its more like seconds...im fine.. except for the fact that i think to myself... "you ought to go to a doctor"...i figure burning relates to nerve endings..whether back related or neck...i exercise daily.... running, weights and ski machine...... i think that I experienced this once during exercise...... I see no one has any diagnoses from their doctors... I hate going due to all those test........anyone one else have a suggestion
  • Eveything I am reading is what I am going through. The burning presssure on the left side of my head. I went to emerg. got ct scan, came normal, went to accupressuist and he was able to work on the trigger points in my neck. that helped. but the pain has come back. I even went to and accupuncturist. Nothing there for my head pain anyway. But it really scares me. At first I thought Brain tumor, and now my head goes to anurysim. And the fear and anxiety comes along with it. Every body tells me to calm down and its nothing, but, when you wake up everyday wondering if its still there and IT IS it's very stressful. I never used to experience head aches like this. I'm freaked out!
  • [hi allseams like nerves is a big problem for everybody, i have all sort of paind since march this year, and all what doc say it is a depression hmmmstardet with pain in left sight higher abdoms, dyehy did CT scan 2 x and all is good, did blood test 2x all is perfectnow i have sore right sight of my neck and shoulder to, it is annoing borning pain, all the time try to mess about with it, make it wors, doc still say it is a depresionnow for 2 days ai got funny trought, seams like sand in my throught, no cough or anythink , but all the tiome feel uncomfortable, when i looked in my throught i Think i can see little uncollored spots, but may be that my emagination,have to go back to doc on monday i dont know what to do or say now, as all what they do blaim my nervesthank you and will keep in topTanya
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 20, 2010
    • 11:49 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Has anyone on this thread been treated for Migraines? I have had the same sensations, for years, cause anxiety, took anxiety meds, came off them. Over time I realized the sensations, or the warming and tightening of the neck are cause from Chronic Cluster Migraine headaches. I now take a daily medication to alleviate the migraine before it starts. Now these Migraines are weird cause they don't always cause pain as a normal migraine would, but they have a lot of the same symptoms; Tightness of the neck, tingling sensation, random pinching pains in the head, disturbed vision or dizziness. In a previous post someone mentioned Advil and Ice-Pac, these work perfectly to alleviate the pain once it starts, but it isn't a permanent solution. this helps with the swelling that the headache causes. Good Luck all, no need for MRI or such.... most people that have a tumor and such have no symptoms. So if you have symptoms.... you are probably ok :)
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 25, 2010
    • 02:33 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Kabbara, I am in tears now because I am experiencing the same exact thing you are complete with the anxiety and everything. I have gotten and MRI and am awaiting the results, just recently did blood work and am awaiting those results too. I have been all over the internet looking for someone with an answer. I know my doctors, family and friends think I am going crazy but they dont know how it feels to constantly be worried about this feeling in your head. I too have tingling in my neck and head...it is also accompanied by a warm heated sensation in the back of my head if that makes sense. I need answers. If you find anything out please post it.Thanks.im having the same thing i need answers please someone help me !
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 20, 2010
    • 09:50 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have been folllowing various complaints about sore heads and muscles. I had the crawling sensation on the side of my head and it was due to pressure on a nerve. I also have the scalp pain with some loss of hair when I get it. I can almost always link it to repressed anger at something or someone. My grandmother told me there is a reason they used to call people "soreheads" and "sore losers" (meaning they are very angry and not 'good' losers). She says there is basis in fact for all these sayings we don't even think about today. Repressed anger can come out as anxiety, pain, twitches just about anywhere in the body. It affects the top of the head because people clench their teeth causing sinus and headache problems, even eye and ear problems and facial blotches. Grinding the teeth while sleeping can cause this pain. Clenching your fists without even knowing it can cause shoulder, neck and head pain. So a sorehead or sore ****r is very angry about the outcome of a a situation or feeling angry and disempowered. You might say they have repressed it to the point of almost "blowing their top". The next step is usually depression which my grandmother says is pushing down on your feelings, "keeping a lid on it". Depression pushes back the angry feelings but it also causes us to shut down. The answer is to resolve the conflict or move on to more a more peaceful existence. This happens more in women because they are expected to control their anger. If you are in a situation where someone is controlling your life, you are more likely to have these problems with head and body pains. Your body can get so stressed that any activity such as housework can send you to bed in severe pain. It can even knock you down if it gets bad enough. I was in a bad relationship and had what was described by my doctor as epileptic headaches which would literaly knock me off of my feet. This happens when pressure on the nerves on your head causes a kind of seizure. I got out of the relationship and never had the problem again. These pains can mean that your body is trying to tell you something about your mind. Even diagnosed illnesses can come from repressed anger. Wherever you are, try to release your anger in healthy ways through exercise and good understanding friends in your life.This problem has been occuring for almost 1 year now. Last year this time I was going through a rough time experiencing anxiety. I had anxiety attacks occasionaly. What I was fearful the most was my health issues, i.e my headache was a tumor, my chestpain meant I was about to have a heart attack. I my physical being was on a downfall because of all the stresses I was experiencing. Just about when my anxiety vanished I started feeling some crawling sensation at the back left handside of my neck shooting up to my head. This sort of brought the anxiety back. It worried me to the extent where I was consulting GP's on a constant basis trying to free my mind from having a BRAIN TUMOR. The initial stages included tension headaches, sore muscles, sharp sesnations at the back of my head right on top, mainly on the left.I must say it had gotten better but is still on my mind everyday from the second I wake up.Sometimes I feel it is not there, but that is probably because I am occupied.It tends to get worse if, for example, I was sitting on my desk with my back arched forward with weight on my neck.I feel releived when I come out of a warm/hot shower. I do not feel it when im lying down.I do not feel it when Im about to go to sleep lying down. I still get crawling/tingly sensations at the back left of my head. Everything is on my left side.I had 2 CT brain scans, neck xrays, neck MRI. However noone can find that I have anything. Can somebody please help.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 11, 2010
    • 08:31 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have the same problem with tingling and heat that crawls up the back of my neck and head like a "rush." After a lot of research I believe this is caused by anxiety!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 12, 2010
    • 08:58 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement