Discussions By Condition: Skin conditions

Please help- raised red hives/welts

Posted In: Skin conditions 17 Replies
  • Posted By: Reese18
  • April 18, 2008
  • 11:27 AM

A week ago I started to break out in hives across my chest and arms, which then spread to my hands, back, neck and face over the course of two days. I went to see a dr last Friday and was put on Prednisone 2x per day (which runs out today) and Zrytec 2 x a day for two days and then as needed. The hives seem to worsen overnight and when I wake up in the morning, my face is red and I am literally covered from the waist up in red, raised hives/welts and it takes all day for them to go away and by the time I am getting ready for bed, they're almost gone just to return again in the morning.

I've never been allergic to anything before now, I've washed all my clothes, bedding, linens in hypoallergenic detergent, I've changed my body wash, shampoo, facial soap, moisturizer, everything to all hypoallergenic products, and nothing seems to be working or helping.

I just had a baby 6 weeks ago and people have been telling me maybe my body is out of whack because of hormones and things and that could be causing it (I'm also using all hypoallergenic baby products), I've also been a little uptight the past week with having my mother in law coming to stay with us for this week so I don't know if that is a contributing factor to the issue or not.

The itching is driving me mad and I am getting so frustrated that nothing is working to help. I'm trying to keep from scratching but sometimes its so bad I just have to give in. I'm now showing red itchy spots on my feet too, but it seems to not be on my legs at all which seems really strange to me. Any help or suggestions would be amazing, I am at my wits end and I'm embarrassed to go out without being fully covered up. :o

Reply Flag this Discussion

17 Replies:

• You have described my experience exactly! Last fall I began breaking out in patches of raised, red, itchy welts all over my body. I would only have one or two spots at night, but by the time I woke up in the morning 50% or more of my body would be completely covered with the welts. I also experienced swelling of my face (particularly my lips)I went to the allergist who ran several tests, although nothing came back conclusive. I tried a number of medications (over the counter as well as perscription) and while some of them seemed to calm the condition, none got rid of it completely. The skin condition finally resolved in December. I was hoping it was gone for good, but last week I began breaking out again. I believe it may have something to do with the pollens in the air, or another environmental factor, but I am unclear as to why I may have suddenly developed a reaction to this. (I have lived in this area for nearly 10 years, so it's not like I've been introduced to something new) I'm currently taking Singulair daily, and using Benadryl at night to try to keep things under control. So far the episodes haven't been nearly as severe as last fall, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it remains mild. I realize I haven't given you any answers, but just wanted to let you know you're not alone!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I'm so sorry you're having the same issue! I went back to the dr's last week for a follow up as the hives were 90% gone and she recommended that I make an appt w/an allergist as well which I decided not to do at the time since things seemed to be resolving themselves. But the dr did tell me that 2 other people in my same town had been in to see her in that same week with the same issue I had and she normally sees 1 or 2 people in a year with what we had so it seems as though maybe it was something within the city like they used something in the water or something to control bugs or something that caused it. The hives started disappearing after my mother in law left so I dont know if that was an actual factor in the whole thing or not :confused: Good luck, I hope everything goes ok for you and they don't get any worse and they get better soon. I was so happy when mine went away and when I was able to wake up without any hives after 2 1/2 weeks of them!
    Reese18 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • I have started getting the welts that drive me crazy! ever since I got my gallbladder removed. I know it's something they messed up. the only thing I've found that works so far is benadryl and zantac. the benadryl is for the itching to stop, and the zantaccontrols the histamine that the body produces. try that if you'd like, see if it helps. it's not gonna make them go away, but it helps you relax alot from the itching and the hives or welts that you get. I fyou find something that makes them completely go away please let me know!!!!!!! contact me if you do 3252062350. your friend, Paul
  • PLEASE if anyone finds a cure please post. I have been battling this for 6 months. I went to a holistic dr as well as a regular one. My holistic dr said I had almost zero sulpher in my body and been on numberous vitamins for over two months, no changes. I have done the same things...change detergent to baby soaps etc and no luck, I thought perhaps wine has sulphers and even stopped having my wine. Stopped my adderal thinking there could be something to the drug. The itching is insane!!! The only relief I get immediately is an old Asian conconction called wood oil. It has many different oils and smells like bengay but truly is an immediate temporary relief.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 13, 2010
    • 06:29 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I have the same problem and It comes and goes every single year I can remember. Raised welts all over. Ive been to an allergist about 4 years ago and they found nothing I was allergic to. Is there anything they dont test for? I really would not like to have this for the rest of my life.
  • I have had this for 4 years! This summer has been worse than ever though about breast to ankles in welt that itch like crazy all over my body very rarely but increasingly lately on my hands and face. It starteed a couple years ago when I visited Cali and has been there every since. I truly felt it was the hotel but 4 years later im still struggling! Im scared and I hope I will be ok I take a zyrtec pill EVERYDAY! If anyone knows anything plz plz help
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 12, 2010
    • 06:07 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I thought i was the only one with this problem, im really sick of waking up with these hives. In the middle of the night Im itching then every morning I wake up with hives its just starting about 3 months ago and it is driving me crazy. I take a zrytec every night nothing is working. Someone please have the answer.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 15, 2010
    • 02:29 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Mine started about a month or so ago also...but the welts tend to stay and have NOT gone away...they have spread though...and their SOO read...and seem to be all together...i get a cluster of the welts in one area...and then another cluster in another area...i`ve seen 4 drs so far and they have ALL said different stuff and given me different meds and STILL no answers and it hasn`t gone away :(
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 16, 2010
    • 02:09 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Ahh this stuff is driving me nuts, too. I started to think it was bed bugs...but, there is no way. This only happens when I'm at my parents house. Whenever I stay with my boyfriend everything seems to be fine. I have them everywhere. I'm mildly allergic to cats...that might be it, too. I wish I could help you...I would like some answers as well....
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 23, 2010
    • 02:05 PM
    Flag this Response
  • wen i go to my boyfriend ,i get the welts really bad, one day i just put a top of his on and i got them worse than ever straight away , it was reeally embaressing...iv also changed my soaps etc and so has he ....but nothing seems to hav changed...i mostly get them on my wrists,itll swell up....i get them at the back of my knees, on my hip bones and mostly on my neck....im so sick of scratching ...it puts me in a depro mood wen i get these welts.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 25, 2010
    • 09:03 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I too have been dealing with this for the past 8 months. Please, if anyone has had a "right on the nose" diagnosis and treatment, please post. I'm currently in the gigantic itchy welt phase on my arms and rib cage area. I had one as large as my right pectoral muscle which then traveled down my rib cage before being absorbed. Any help or insight is appreciated. I feel for all those suffering with the same issue.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 27, 2010
    • 08:46 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• I have been waking up for the las 3 days with red hives and welts all over my body. Its starts with me waking up and my hands feel dry and hot like theyre burning. I get up and look at myself in the light and there are welts everywhere. I try to rub them or leave them alone to prevent them from itching more. I was guzzling my kids Claritin but decided to get some adult benadryl today. It goes away as soon as I get up and get dressed and doesnt return until about 3-4 hours after i've gone to sleep, which makes me think maybe it has something to do with heat or dehydration mixed with pollen and medications. I take adderal as well and have recently started tanning so really it could be a number of things. I've never been allergic to anything so this is really freaking me out. I'm just glad you can pretty much Google anything and find that you're not the only one experience stuff like this.
  • Hey my names john im 16 and had the same exact problem and it recently came back out of nowhere. Its called demographism or at least thats what my allergest told me. She was an army doctor so i trust her judgement and i was prescribed hydroxizine which worked perfect. But now its back so i checkd out the web. Trust me ask ur doctor about this it worked for me nd i kno how embarassing and annoying it is. The welts come up for no reason and u get beyond itchy and the welts or hives whichevr makes u feel better about it get faaattt from scratchin them one time. This may not be the on the dot answer some of u want but if ur anywhere the shape im in youll want to give this a shot
  • oh my.i only started getting them yesterday and they havent stopped for two days, so i thought i would research them..and reading all these posts is not making me feel good! D:4 years of it?!?! the itching is unbearable. and it looks so ugly.i am already allergic to cats, dogs, horses, grass, pollen, dust, wheat, bee stings, and dairy.but i have never had a reaction like this.if anyone finds a cure, i would love to know..i don't want to have to take anymore drugs..thanks :D
  • This same thing started for me 6 years ago. Out of nowhere one day I noticed what seemed like goosebumps turn into huge welts on my thighs and arms within minutes. The next morning my lips were swollen. I went to the doctor and they said I must be allergic to something (though I never had any allergies in 26 years of living). They suggested detergents or diet changes as the issue. We could never figure it out. A patch test came back looking like I was allergic to wheat, dairy products, fish, shellfish, and corn. The problem was so persistent that I was on zyrtec every day, and I would also take a benadryl at night when the swelling seemed the worst.They seem to appear most behind my knees along my waistline, on my shoulders and wrists.Eventually I made some major dietary changes to try to isolate the problem. I removed all the food items they said I was allergic to for a few of weeks. I started to notice a reduction in the problem. Then slowly I tried adding little bits back into my diet. I found that I could immediately tell (just get a feeling) when it was coming back right after I ate something. After the 1 full year of being super conscious of what I ate and how my body reacted to it I have summed it up this... I do much better with foods that are not super processed. For example, I found the worst culprit for my hives was corn or corn products. I would think that I wasn't consuming it but corn starch used in cooking or corn syrup used as a sweetener in processed foods was a huge upset to my body.My doctor had suggested that it could be that new or more kinds of fertilizers or insecticides are used in farming agricultural products, which we innocently buy out of the grocery store. The hives could come from a reaction to what's being sprayed on our food that we don't know about, and why it's just appearing out of nowhere.So, my answer is to think about the foods I buy, cut down on super processed foods and go for fresh and organic foods. My hives still appear from time to time but I can go many months without a problem now. It's harder in the summer (maybe the heat and humidity) and when I'm under a lot of stress (which is when I also snack more on junk food I think).
  • I recently moved to my new apartment in Novi, MI, 5 days later i woke up scratching all over, i went to look in the mirror and had these raised red itchy patches (similar to mosquito bites but some small and some huge!) on my biceps, stomach, but mostly on my buttocks and lower back...first thought i had was bed bugs...but my boyfriend who slept in the same bed had no marks or itching anywhere on him, so i immediately cleaned them with rubbing alcohol. moments later the itching stopped and the about 3 hours later the raised areas were almost completely back to normal. The following morning i awoke to the same problem but this time it was 10x worst... they were concentrated mostly on my butt but were on my back and biceps and along my arm pit! needless to say concern and worry set in and once again my boyfriend had no issues on his body. once again i assumed bed bugs, i applied the alcohol and waited for them to subside, i had made up my mind the bed had to go! so in the middle of the day i took a nap on my couch instead and 2hrs later i awoke to the same problem all over me yet again! so obviously this reaction is sleep induced and not due to a parasite....Benadryl cream did not work cortisone cream relieved the itching temporarily but the rubbing alcohol worked the best.After reading this thread ill have to agree that the heat could be a factor (this week has been the hottest week michigan has seen in a while) the heat is 102 today and was 99 yesterday, ive also been very stressed dealing with the move, finding a job and just common stress related issues. so stress could be another trigger, ive never been allergic to anything in my life and im 24 years old...however Im planning a trip to the doctor tomorrow because i cannot spend year being afraid to sleep due to waking up to this problem. i wish you all the best
  • I have started getting the welts that drive me crazy! ever since I got my gallbladder removed. I know it's something they messed up. the only thing I've found that works so far is benadryl and zantac. the benadryl is for the itching to stop, and the zantaccontrols the histamine that the body produces. try that if you'd like, see if it helps. it's not gonna make them go away, but it helps you relax alot from the itching and the hives or welts that you get. I fyou find something that makes them completely go away please let me know!!!!!!! contact me if you do 3252062350. your friend, PaulHi Paul,Have your welts gone away? And how are you feeling post-gall-bladder surgery?I was searching the internet about these welts I started having about 10 days ago. The itchiness is driving me crazy. And I suspect there is some connection to the gall-bladder - since I was recently diagnosed with gallstones (about a month ago) and my doc advised surgery. But after researching, I wanted to take a conservative approach. Meanwhile, am still putting up with intermittent pain in the right side.Thanks
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 10, 2011
    • 09:50 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement