Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Joint paint all over --tested negative for Rheumatoid Arthritis

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 0 Replies
  • Posted By: Melody56
  • April 17, 2008
  • 07:12 PM

For the past year or so I have been experiencing joint pain in nearly every joint symetrically, sometimes more on either my right or left. All of my finger joints hurt significantly more than others. Mostly the right hurts more, but sometimes the left hurts more. My elbows hurt to touch even lightly on the sides. Feels as though a boil or something wants to emerge. This is more recent, probably about 4 months.

I am always tired, even going to bed at 8:00 p.m. Get up at 5:50 a.m. I am finding it more and more difficult to get up, more because I am tired, than because of the joint pain. I am extremly stiff in the morning. I cannot bend my fingers on either hand because of pain and stiffness. They hurt to touch as well. They feel as though they will break. After a little while I can bend, but never without pain.

I love working in the yard, but find after a short period without exhaustion (after about 30 minutes) Last year I could work in the yard all day with no breaks and wake up the next day refreshed and ready to tackle on a new day.

Now, after a total of a couple of hours, taking breaks ever half hour or so, I am exhausted and I wake up in the morning bearly being able to move because of pain, even though the work I did is probably 25% of what I did a year ago. Doing housework is nearly as bad. Plain walking is not bad and I don't mind that at all.

Going down stairs is more difficult than going up for my knees and feet joints.

I have gained 20 pounds in the last year. I am 5'2" and have never weight over 112 usually fluctuating between 106-110. I now weigh 132. And see no sign of stablizing.

I told my doctor a typical day, for me is a pack of instant oatmeal in the morning, an apple midmorning, a 6 oz can of "plain" tuna at lunch, a crunchy oat granola bar snack in mid-afternoon. I have a reasonable size dinner, and I usually put it on a dessert plate rather than a regular plate to keep the portions at a good size. Dinner is typically chicken about 1/4 chicken breast, green vegetables and a roll or slice of bread. I will have a couple of cookies or snackcake or something after dinner. This is probably typical, to variances. Week ends I might splurge a little, but I don't go crazy. I typically average 1200 or so calories a day barley more or less.

I take multi-vitimans, calcium tablets and recently Omeg 3 Fish Oil.

Also, I lost my oldest son 1 1/2 years ago. After six months or so ago, and consequently I am taking 75mg Effexor. I was on 40mg of Celexa, but I asked my doctor to change me because I thought that might be the cause of the sudden weight gain or it's coinsidence. I feel I could probably use a higher dose of Effexor, but really want to wean off all of it.

My doctor said I am probably not eating enough and my body is rebelling. I totally understand the concept. But I used to be able to eat more, this kind of diet is because of my sudden weight gain. This is not a crazy diet.

So to humor my doctor, I started eating more like 1500 - 1800 maybe even 2000 calories a day, for a couple of weeks. It didn't help.

My sister suggested alternating low calorie days with (reasonably) higher calorie days.

I believe I am postmenopausal, have not had a period in almost two years.

Any suggestion on this given history what is causing:

The all over symetrical joint pain
The fatigue
The weight gain?

I have been tested for
Rheumatoid Athritis
Lupus
Hepatitis -- All negative

My doctor say I probably have osteoarthritis as far as the joint pain. But if this is the case why did all of my joints start hurting symetrically at the same time -- all about a year or so ago?

Reply Flag this Discussion
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement