Discussions By Condition: Injury

Broken jaw with jaws wired together - help

Posted In: Injury 10 Replies
  • Posted By: Catalin Paraschiv
  • April 16, 2008
  • 11:18 AM

I've had broken jaw because of a stupid accident. A truck goes over a stone and stone jump in my face. I've got tear lips and broken jaw.

I was in hospital and they wired together my jaws.

Now it's the next day after medical intervention.
I'm sitting home and I feel excessive tension in my teeth and also pain.
I'm afraid not to break some teeth that are with problems.
Also my lips are swallow and tender because was sewed by doctors.

Can you help please?

Those teeth tension are normal? Will release in time? :confused:
I read that some doctors use rubber bands in order to bond teeth together. My doctor use rubber bands for 1 day and after that he put some iron wires.

How can I reduce my lips swallow?:confused:

Thank you,
Catalin

Reply Flag this Discussion

10 Replies:

• My Son Got His Jaw Broke A Few Days Ago. They Have The Arch Bars And The Wires On Him, But They Also Have Rubberbands Holding His Jaws Together. Does Anyone Know How Long The Rubberbands Stay On???
    CMMORGAN 6 Replies Flag this Response
  • In my case doctors replace rubber bands with wires, after 2 days, and they told me I should stay with those wires 6 weeks.
    Catalin Paraschiv 6 Replies Flag this Response
  • Well my son decided to take matters into his own hand and remove the wires and rubberbands. now, he has to return for surgery again. This time they are going to put a plate in his jaw to stabalize the fracture.I strongly recommend to all with broken jaws to leave it to the doctors. You will aviod unnessary pain, suffering, and expense. It's costing an additional 4,000 for the second sugery.
  • Well my son decided to take matters into his own hand and remove the wires and rubberbands. now, he has to return for surgery again. This time they are going to put a plate in his jaw to stabalize the fracture.I strongly recommend to all with broken jaws to leave it to the doctors. You will aviod unnessary pain, suffering, and expense. It's costing an additional 4,000 for the second sugery. Today was the surgery, and let me tell you if you can avoid the plate in your jaw by having them wired together instead, do it!!!!!He is in a lot more pain than before. He runs a bigger risk of infection, and the plate is permanant unlike the arch bars and wires. I think after today he is kinda regretting what he did.
  • Probably he regret it.Always is better to avoid unnecessary surgical procedures.He is young and probably he was ashamed to be seen like this by his friends or by his girlfriend.I'm 44 so I don't have those type of problems.Anyhow, I wish fast recovery to your son.All the best,Catalin
    Catalin Paraschiv 6 Replies Flag this Response
  • Probably he regret it.Always is better to avoid unnecessary surgical procedures.He is young and probably he was ashamed to be seen like this by his friends or by his girlfriend.I'm 44 so I don't have those type of problems.Anyhow, I wish fast recovery to your son. All the best, Catalin Thanks i really needed that. It has been a big mess. They still haven't arrested the guy that hit him, but I'm assured that it will happen.
  • Probably he regret it.Always is better to avoid unnecessary surgical procedures.He is young and probably he was ashamed to be seen like this by his friends or by his girlfriend.I'm 44 so I don't have those type of problems.Anyhow, I wish fast recovery to your son. All the best, Catalin I hope things are going well for you, too. The amazing part is the week and a half he had his jaws wired shut. He actually gained 2 pounds.
  • Hi mate, my name is bill, sorry to hear that your son is in so much pain, im 30, and was unlucky enough to have my jaw snaped in 2 places on right side, long sergery, and wires and rubber bands. So far its been 4 weeks to the day, and let me tell you ive thought about it many times, and even again tonight , so i got on line to read up on the outcome of removeing the wires , and read what you wrote, now ive deecided not to do it, so thanks and i hope your son has a fast recovery. bill
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 23, 2009
    • 01:28 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Well my son decided to take matters into his own hand and remove the wires and rubberbands. now, he has to return for surgery again. This time they are going to put a plate in his jaw to stabalize the fracture.I strongly recommend to all with broken jaws to leave it to the doctors. You will aviod unnessary pain, suffering, and expense. It's costing an additional 4,000 for the second sugery. Thank you for your advise.....My son wants to take his off too. He's on the elastic stage. He had a horrible experience at MGH in Boston and the dr's from Harvard Dental School........................We are now looking for another Dr to finish the job. Any suggestions. ThanksNancy
    nansulli 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • Had my jaw broken a bit over 2 weeks ago and have been wired shut since. Wanted to cut these ***n wires off right away, but knew it wouldn't be a good idea. One of the worst things so far was to get a cat hair stuck in my mouth. Tried all I could think of to get it loose and out, but nothing helped!..........Until I finally got it into a spot where I used a flexible plastic toothpick to pry it out 4 days later. Feels so much better!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 23, 2011
    • 05:14 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement