Discussions By Condition: Urinary conditions

Female Urethral Pain / Frequent Urination

Posted In: Urinary conditions 44 Replies
  • Posted By: samwjunkie
  • April 16, 2008
  • 11:10 AM

I am a 44 yr old female. Recently (within the last week) I have to pee all the time! Day & night. The urine isn't cloudy like you would suspect in a UTI (Urinary Track Infection) and it doesn't hurt when I pee and I don't have chills or a fever, which are signs of a UTI. However, I have a minor achy pain sensation in my urethra all the time making me feel like I have to pee, even if I just did. It's worse at night, I guess because I have time to relax from the day so I feel it more. I'm going to call my Dr. and see what she thinks. Will post an update when I have information.

Reply Flag this Discussion

44 Replies:

• I was recently diagnosed with interstitial cystitis and that is the exact symptom I have been having for the past 5 or 6 months. It feels like a burning senstation right inside my urethra. I sometimes have burning during urination, but mostly, I just get that feeling randomly throughout the day. I am taking elmiron and it takes 3-6 months to start working. I have 1 and 1/2 more months to go to get to the 3 month mark. Please let me know how your situation goes. Sometimes I wonder if I really have interstitial cystitis because I don't really have any bladder pain, which is suppose to be the main symptom of interstitial cystitis.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I was able to get in to see my Dr. and she said I most likely had a UTI. They took a urine sample and she felt my stomach and said my bladder was swollen. I hadn't felt any discomfort in that area though until she pressed on my stomach. She said that there was bacteria in the urine but that they would need to send the sample to be "cultured" to find out exactly what it was. It will take three days for the culture to come back and depending on what they find, she may end up changing the prescription. In the mean time she prescribed sulfameth/Trimethoprim (which is a generic of something) taken twice a day. I am going into the third day of treatment with this medication and I am finally starting to feel better. The urge to pee is still there but not as bad. I guess initially I didn't think it was a UTI because all the research I did said there was a "burning" sensation while peeing and that the urine is cloudy. Not so with me. I wish I hadn't have waited so long to see my Dr. but I'm glad I finally did.This is a condition I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. I haven't gotten a full nights sleep in over a week. I'm exhausted. I can't wait to sleep through the night again!
    samwjunkie 13 Replies Flag this Response
  • Update:Well, the sulfameth/Trimethoprim didn't help. It only my me feel sicker and the symptoms didn't subside at all after three days of treatment. I called my dr.'s office and they prescribed Ciprofloxacin. That helped for a couple of days but the symptoms have slowly returned. Mind you, I am still taking the Ciprofloxacin.I don't think I have a UTI. I think it's something else i.e "Urethral Syndrome" maybe. One...because it doesn't hurt to pee. It actually feels better right after I do. Two...the antibiotics are not helping. I have been doing my own internet research and found this article (see link below). I found it very interesting and will contact my dr tomorrow to discuss further. If you are a female, having urethral pain, you should read this. http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/pagerender.fcgi?artid=1303542&pageindex=1#page
  • Update:I'm back again. I went to the dr's this morning and I know this sounds simple and silly...but...I must have irritated my urethra a couple of weeks ago by riding my bike!!! I remember the next day after riding my bike that it felt uncomfortable down there and then it got progressively worse but at the time I didn't attribute the pain to riding my bike.Yesterday I was miserable and decided to take a couple of ibuprofen. Well, miraculously the pain and irritation disappeared. When I told the dr this morning she said there is something else going on then. She asked some questions and then mentioned bike riding. I remembered that this whole issue didn’t manifest itself until the day after riding my bike. Well, now she has me on 800mg of ibuprofen 3x a day (WITH FOOD). I have been pain free all day and been peeing normally! Yahoo! It’s the simple things that make me happy. I have been so miserable and feeling disgusting and now I feel like a new person.She still gave me the name of a Urologist and told me that if this didn’t resolve the issue that I must go to him. I’m hoping I don’t.
  • Hi I am a 48 year old female in the middle of perimenopause and having a similar problem! I had a UTI about three weeks ago and was given antibiotics by the GYN. I guess it cleared up but the sensation of having to "go" did not. Jump forward three weeks and now I am gettng up three or founr times a night and really going a lot. Went to urologist today and no infection by urine test. I am atypical for Overactive Bladder condition but he gave me some meds to try anyway. Kidneys, and bladder by x-ray and ultra sound are ok. Currently I still have the feeling of having to go when I cross my legs or move in some way or sometimes just after voiding. But is not as bad as three weeks ago...I think my uretha is still somehow stimulated and upset by the recent UTI...can't think of any other reson why it is still so sensitive! Now the nighttime problem of getting up to go and a lot coming out....my 14 year old daughter just recently "cured" her bed wetting problem. She apparently made much more urine at night than most normal people. This was becasue she had a lacking of a hormone - antidiuretic hormone - and this is controled by the pituitary which is also involved in perimenopause and other hormones of the endocrine system (like thryoid and so forth)...well she started taking vesopressin and with that and the alarm method she reduced her nightime urinary output and cured the bed wetting. I am saying all this as during perimenopause or other endocrine upsets perhaps we have periods of time when all is out of whack and production of this vital hormone is diminished......anyway long story short, if the overactive bladder med does not help, then I may talk to my endocrinologist about trying vesopressin or something similar for a while....hope this may help someone...or if someone has other suggestions for me I am all ears! Joan
    Joan5555 316 Replies Flag this Response
  • 这是新加的空白文章1,可以在UBB可视化编辑器中,添加和修改文章内容。
    weiwei 10 Replies Flag this Response
  • samwjunkie-i don't know if you're still watching this post, but i think i have the same thing you had. i ride my bike a lot. i thought i got a uti, the doctors only found a small amount of infection, or wbc, but i went through the same antibiotics, each working the first few days then not at all, then making me sick like they always do. i think it is worse after i ride my bike, so i'm trying to not ride it for a while. it feels like a pain at the end of my urethra, sometimes burning, but mostly it feels as if i'm going to leak.how long did you have to take ibuprofen? and did you take a break from bike riding? if so, for how long? this is so annoying!!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • samwjunkie-i don't know if you're still watching this post, but i think i have the same thing you had. i ride my bike a lot. i thought i got a uti, the doctors only found a small amount of infection, or wbc, but i went through the same antibiotics, each working the first few days then not at all, then making me sick like they always do. i think it is worse after i ride my bike, so i'm trying to not ride it for a while. it feels like a pain at the end of my urethra, sometimes burning, but mostly it feels as if i'm going to leak.how long did you have to take ibuprofen? and did you take a break from bike riding? if so, for how long? this is so annoying!!I am still having problems, see http://forums.wrongdiagnosis.com/showthread.php?t=31274 I just posted it today because I'm still having problems. Nothing but ibuprofen works. I can't tell you how annoying this is. I haven't been on a bike since this happened but it has come and gone and come back again since then so I don't think it has anything to do with my bike, it just seemed to coincide with riding my bike. Thanks for responding. S
  • Thank you so much for posting this link! I have felt crazy because my doctors are stumped, and yet there are estimated to be 5 million office visits per year of women with my exact same symptoms. This gives me hope that this can be fixed.Update:Well, the sulfameth/Trimethoprim didn't help. It only my me feel sicker and the symptoms didn't subside at all after three days of treatment. I called my dr.'s office and they prescribed Ciprofloxacin. That helped for a couple of days but the symptoms have slowly returned. Mind you, I am still taking the Ciprofloxacin.I don't think I have a UTI. I think it's something else i.e "Urethral Syndrome" maybe. One...because it doesn't hurt to pee. It actually feels better right after I do. Two...the antibiotics are not helping. I have been doing my own internet research and found this article (see link below). I found it very interesting and will contact my dr tomorrow to discuss further. If you are a female, having urethral pain, you should read this. http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/pagerender.fcgi?artid=1303542&pageindex=1#page
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 30, 2008
    • 05:33 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi Sawjunkie, I am very glad I found this forum, cause I'm having very similar symtoms. Let me tell you my story. About two months ago my problem started with painful and frequent urination. I went to the doctor and she gave me antibiotics (nitrofurantoine), telling me I had a bladder infection. At first it seemed to work real good, but on the fifth day during treatment the painful and frequent urination returned... and stayed. I went back to the doctor and she told me there were still some wbc, so I got trimetoprim. It didn't give me any relieve. The infection seems to be gone, but 5 weeks later i am still having urethral pain. The pain is mild, but irritating, stabbing, tingling. I feel it mostly after peeing. Sometimes it is gone, only to return a few days of hours later. Oh... and the only thing that gives me some relieve is ibuprofen!! When i take ibuprofen, even the next day me pain is milder or gone. But it always returns... I am very curious if you found out what caused your problem and if you found a cure.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 10, 2008
    • 07:08 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Thank god I'm not the only one.. I'm 39 and just recently moved to Sweden.. I have been having this same problem for its seems like a year now but could not go to a doctor until recently.. I now only sleep about 1 hour at a time on a bad night.. On a good night I sleep for 4 or 5 hours straight.. The first doctor I went to did all the standard tests and a pelvic exam with .. *drum roll* Nothing found.. Now I have been referred to a gynecologist which I go see tomorrow.. At this point nothing seems to work for more than a few days.. Even sleeping pills dont do it for more than 4 or 5 days before I have gotten used to them and am back to setting up camp in the bathroom.. I do have slight incontinence.. Like when I sneeze or cough a lot.. But its not that serious usually.. I'm so tired and frustrated.. I just hope that I get a diagnosis and relief soon.. I will take some of what you kind ladies have posted here with me to my appointment in hopes it may help.. Thank you
    Plaxidia 1 Replies
    • September 15, 2008
    • 10:16 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• Thank you for ppl who posted.I am a male and getting really desperate. I started to research online to see what the ***l is going on. It is now 3:30am and still cannot go to bed.It seems like I have to pee every 5mins, if I dont have enough urine, I end up peeing a drop of blood. This is frightening and I hope it is nothing major. I will go see the doctor tomorrow.I hope we all find ourselves a solution. This is really annoying and painful, it is just torture. :(
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 8, 2008
    • 07:33 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi I am a 48 year old female in the middle of perimenopause and having a similar problem! I had a UTI about three weeks ago and was given antibiotics by the GYN. I guess it cleared up but the sensation of having to "go" did not. Jump forward three weeks and now I am gettng up three or founr times a night and really going a lot. Went to urologist today and no infection by urine test. I am atypical for Overactive Bladder condition but he gave me some meds to try anyway. Kidneys, and bladder by x-ray and ultra sound are ok. Currently I still have the feeling of having to go when I cross my legs or move in some way or sometimes just after voiding. But is not as bad as three weeks ago...I think my uretha is still somehow stimulated and upset by the recent UTI...can't think of any other reson why it is still so sensitive! Now the nighttime problem of getting up to go and a lot coming out....my 14 year old daughter just recently "cured" her bed wetting problem. She apparently made much more urine at night than most normal people. This was becasue she had a lacking of a hormone - antidiuretic hormone - and this is controled by the pituitary which is also involved in perimenopause and other hormones of the endocrine system (like thryoid and so forth)...well she started taking vesopressin and with that and the alarm method she reduced her nightime urinary output and cured the bed wetting. I am saying all this as during perimenopause or other endocrine upsets perhaps we have periods of time when all is out of whack and production of this vital hormone is diminished......anyway long story short, if the overactive bladder med does not help, then I may talk to my endocrinologist about trying vesopressin or something similar for a while....hope this may help someone...or if someone has other suggestions for me I am all ears! JoanI as well have a 14 year old that wets the bed i thought that i have tryed everything but you just helped me by tellign me that the doctor gave her vesopressin , im going to talk to her doctor about that ,. i came on this site to see if i could get soem answers for my self and you actually help me with my daughter after all the resarch i have done .. i as well have had some buring pain onmy urethra im going next weelk to the doctor to see whats going on .. well thanks for your help ...klopez sacramento..
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 21, 2009
    • 11:53 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I've got a similar problem, and I'm not sure what's going on. First I had surgery for an ovarian cyst. They had trouble incubating me, and for a few weeks after surgery, my asthma attacks were horrible. My doctor put me on Advair, my nebulizer, and a steroid pack. After that, I started having to pee frequently, I started running a low fever, and my kidneys started to hurt. I returned to my gyn. and she put me on a strong dose of Bactrim because I had an UTI. I felt better in a few days, but then the burning came back. I called her nurse, and they put me on another round of Bactrim. Well--things only got worse. I called my regular doctor and asked if they thought it could be a yeast infection in my bladder from all those antibiotics and steroids, and they agreed. They ordered a two day round of diflucan, which helped only for those two days. The burning came back. My doctor was out of town for a week, so I tried some homeopathic stuff for yeast kill, probiotics and Threelac, thinking I could kick the yeast infection on my own. Still no help. So, I called back and asked for another round of diflucan. I finished the last pill yesterday, and now I am burning in my bladder and around my anus. My vaginal area doesn't seem to be affected. I see my doctor next Tuesday, but I've had trouble similar to this before and never got any help from the medical profession. (I saw a urologist and they found nothing wrong with me.) If anyone had similar problems and found a solution, let me know! I'm going nuts! I'm going to try the ibuprofen to see what happens.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 28, 2009
    • 08:53 PM
    Flag this Response
  • samwjunkie- i don't know if you're still watching this post, but i think i have the same thing you had. i ride my bike a lot. i thought i got a uti, the doctors only found a small amount of infection, or wbc, but i went through the same antibiotics, each working the first few days then not at all, then making me sick like they always do. i think it is worse after i ride my bike, so i'm trying to not ride it for a while. it feels like a pain at the end of my urethra, sometimes burning, but mostly it feels as if i'm going to leak. how long did you have to take ibuprofen? and did you take a break from bike riding? if so, for how long? this is so annoying!! I posted this on another topic, but if I can help one person, I've done my job. I was so tense, my lips were red from irritation, and it burned like no other. I couldn't put any ointment other than A-D Ointment or it would irritate the area. Not sure if it's the same thing, but worth putting the information out there: I went to a urologist after I had burning for 8 months straight. I had been to 2 gynos and they couldn't figure it out. It was the best thing I ever did. After he was puzzled for doing numerous tests (microbes came back negative), the light bulb went off after I told him when I was stressed (anxiety) it got worse down there. He said that my pelvic muscles may be stuck in an endless cycle of spasms (basically in a fist the entire time), which release lactic acid, which creates this burning sensation. He gave me Valium (muscle relaxer) to take at night (knocked me out) to try to trick the muscles (it remains in the system all day the next day, just in time for the next dose) for 30 days, which helped tremendously. I didn't want to take something that made me so out of it at work, so I looked up on the web what caused anxiety, and caffeine was the dinger. I stopped drinking caffeine and my burning has gone away completely!!!!! Seriously, if you're at your wits end, try to kick the caffeine habit. It seems so simple, but effective.When I went in for a follow-up I told him he was a genius! He said he's starting to see this alot more often with women in their 20's who are educated and work full-time jobs, they are stressed out, and something creates stress and they clamp up their pelvic muscles, which in turn create an endless loop because you are worried the pain will come back, so you never relax.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 21, 2009
    • 04:27 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I too am researching this problem of burning urination, abdominal pain. All of this started with in minutes of intercourse with my husband. I have had this for two months. The tests (twice) came back negative for bladder infections and/or UTI... I went to the doctor today and she did a ultrasound to see if it was female related... it all checked out. She now wants to do STD testing (which I guess is normal since that is the only thing left) and then after that is ruled out then that is pretty much it.. Does anyone know what other kind of doctor to see or what they were diagnosed with. I am 33 years old and in good health other then this.Update:Well, the sulfameth/Trimethoprim didn't help. It only my me feel sicker and the symptoms didn't subside at all after three days of treatment. I called my dr.'s office and they prescribed Ciprofloxacin. That helped for a couple of days but the symptoms have slowly returned. Mind you, I am still taking the Ciprofloxacin.I don't think I have a UTI. I think it's something else i.e "Urethral Syndrome" maybe. One...because it doesn't hurt to pee. It actually feels better right after I do. Two...the antibiotics are not helping. I have been doing my own internet research and found this article (see link below). I found it very interesting and will contact my dr tomorrow to discuss further. If you are a female, having urethral pain, you should read this. http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/pagerender.fcgi?artid=1303542&pageindex=1#page
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 23, 2009
    • 02:46 AM
    Flag this Response
  • For the past two years, I have been going to my doctor for what is suspected to be a UTI. Each time I have gone, I have been prescribed medication. The medication seems to clear up the problem, however, it comes back within a few weeks. I truly do no beleive that this is a UTI. It does not burn when I urinate, my urine is not cloudy, and when I urinate I pee a normal amount of urine. The problem is, I am urninating quite frequently and the pain, which I beleive is in my urethra is unbearable. It is a burning sensation as well as pressure on my lower abdomen. I have a Urologist appointment next week, so if he can find out what it is, I will let everyone know. I am hoping for results as it is difficult to live your normal life when this hits.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 17, 2009
    • 03:23 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I am a 27 yo female and very healthy, I had my yearly physical done two months ago and everything looked great, but my B12 was low, so my doc gave me B12 shots to take weekly. Its been about a month now and ever since I have this constant burning and constant urge to urinate. The urine sometimes look cloudy and smell terrible but not always. She said it has nothing to do with the vitamin shots, but I was fine before then. I am waiting now for the results of another urine test, but I dont think it is an infection. I have the urge to pee for the last 3 years (ever since the birth of my second child) but absolutely never pain or burning. I do get a lot of anxiety when its hurting the most, it feels like my hip area is restless and I need to stretch (if it makes any sense!) but nothing works. I am very worried!! I will post again once I get the results.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 28, 2009
    • 02:48 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hope this helps someone out.Several years ago I had what I thought was a urinary tract infection. Symptoms were freguent urination of small sometimes tiny amts of urine. This was sooo painfull but each time I had a urine culture it was negative. (I had 3 0r 4 at the physicians office.) I even ended up in the emergency room one night after crying from lack of sleep and pain in the urethra, again nothing in the cultures and no stones. After several months of this On and off again pain. I tried everything cold sitz baths Ice ,Heat Vaginal creams yeast creams, Thought I was going to go crazy, and one day it just stopped. You wont believe what I figured out!!! It was the toilet paper!!!! I had changed from Scott toilet tissue to a cheaper brand. And that was it! Too much bleach in the toilet paper !!!! My mother moved in with us a few years later and started to buy another toilet tissue Marcal brand and I didnt know it. a few days into using it, I asked her if she had switched paper and she told me that she had, I knew it right away cause the burning started right up after 2 years of being pain free. Mom said she thought I was just being a fuss pot. So now the doctor and I joke that the only thing I allow down there is a SCOTT ! MUD
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 2, 2009
    • 06:52 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I was recently diagnosed with interstitial cystitis and that is the exact symptom I have been having for the past 5 or 6 months. It feels like a burning senstation right inside my urethra. I sometimes have burning during urination, but mostly, I just get that feeling randomly throughout the day. I am taking elmiron and it takes 3-6 months to start working. I have 1 and 1/2 more months to go to get to the 3 month mark. Please let me know how your situation goes. Sometimes I wonder if I really have interstitial cystitis because I don't really have any bladder pain, which is suppose to be the main symptom of interstitial cystitis.This is my symptoms exactly. I went to a urologist for the first time yesterday. She said my body had gotten into a sort of pain habit from my last uti in November. She gave me a local anesthetic to apply when it hurts but that doesn't help because the pain is more internal than that (though not quite to the bladder). My general doctor thinks I have interstitial cystitis, but I'm still not sure. I made another appointment with the urologist for next Wednesday to get it checked again. I just really want the pain to go away. It's ruining my life.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 18, 2010
    • 11:56 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement