Discussions By Condition: Medical Stories

Meralgia paresthetica

Posted In: Medical Stories 0 Replies
  • Posted By: Jim Burgan
  • October 19, 2006
  • 07:43 PM

I just went through my second surgery for Meralgia Paresthetica in my right thigh. If anyone is reading this that has been diagnosed with this horrble condition than please feel free to contact me. I have fought for a few years now with doctors who are clueless and can't believe the pain this condition causes. In my case the right lateral femoral cutaneous nerve in my right thigh has been the culprit. My nerve actually split out in two sections which there is only suppose to be a single nerve and on top on that my right lateral femoral cutaneous nerve went over the pelvic bone instead of under which only happens in 9% of the populations.

I have been through many doctors and and have bills out the wazoo from all the testing. The pain at one point was so bad I thought they are going to remove my leg or I want to die. No medication worked until I was put on a Fentanyl Transdermal Patch 50 mcg/h. This took a big bite out of the pain but I still needed percocet to keep me from putting my fist through a wall some days.

I finally found a surgeon who deals with this disorder. My surgeon is from Georgetown University in Washington DC and his name is Dr. Ducic he is with the plastic Surgery department. It has been six days since my surgery and I think he may have actually fixed this nightmare of a problem. It takes time for the nerve to calm down so time will tell but I pray that his efforts worked.

What he did was cut one of the branches of the nerve because it was chewed up from a prior surgical attempt several months ago by another doctor, who I still respect and who had the profesional wisdom that he was over his head with my problem and referred me to Dr. Ducic.

Dr. Ducic also moved the nerve from a high point where it layed over my pelvic bone and decompressing it in the process.

I do have pain but it has subsided and I have hope that the future will be pain free.

If you are going through this you need to be very active in your care. make sure your doctor is very familier with the problem and has experiance in dealing with it.

Reply Flag this Discussion
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement