Discussions By Condition: Repiratory conditions

Sharp pain behind left ear

Posted In: Repiratory conditions 11 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • October 19, 2006
  • 06:47 PM

I ahve been getting these sharp pains 1" behind the bottom of my left ear which makes my neck and shoulder muscles tense up and then I become very cold. At first I thought it was just stress, but I'm not sure anymore.

Any help will be appreciated

Reply Flag this Discussion

11 Replies:

• Anxiety is a wonderfuly Weird thing. It can make the smallest of pains feel like a sharp sharp pain that is rushing through your bodie. 1. the Trigger. (this pain maybe your trigger) something that sets it off. for me it was chest pains. i always thought there was something wrong with my heart.2. The reaction. They only last about 1-5 seconds, but these can freak you out completly, here are some common thing and why they happen.- Heart palpatrations (hyperventalation) ("something is wrong!")after haveing heart palpatrations your bodie get ver very cold, and most of the time you will get shivvers, this is normal wrap up in a blanket and get a hold of yourself!- you have an over whelming feeling weather it be faintness, or feeling "Insaine" or ever feeling like your jsut about to die, some sort of impending doom. Stop! close your eyes lie down, take a deep breath, and know there is nothing wrong.- a LARGE majority of people who have anxiety, including myself, get numbness in the face when i start to have these, although i am not sure of the cause, it probabbly has a lot to do with the blood flow, speeding up.if you have any other questions and want some answers e-mail me atnofx_cky_him@hotmail.comill help as much as possible.i know how it feels.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 24, 2006
    • 11:54 PM
    Flag this Response
  • you should go to see a physiotherapist. He might help to reorder the bloked nerves within your body. It is surely stress or your body is set in a bad position.
    leuviah 8 Replies
    • October 26, 2006
    • 05:33 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I get sharp pain behind my left ear also but it isn't just random it hirts after i run for a little while. Mainly just when i get my heart rate up. They strang thing though is that it dosen't happen every time i run. I have no clue what is going on so any help will be appericiated.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 10, 2007
    • 01:05 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I get sharp pain behind my left ear also but it isn't just random it hirts after i run for a little while. Mainly just when i get my heart rate up. They strang thing though is that it dosen't happen every time i run. I have no clue what is going on so any help will be appericiated.Could be an irritated occipital nerve. They can sometimes react that way to increased blood flow.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 21, 2007
    • 04:04 AM
    Flag this Response
  • It sounds like you maybe having TMJ pain (Tempino -Mandibular Joint pain ).I was finally diagnosed with this after seeing my family doctor 6 times .I went to a ear nose and throat doctor who believe it or not stuck his finger in my ear and pressed on the joint between the skull and the jaw which caused an awful pain.The pain from this can be terrible with pain radiating into the neck and shoulders ,headaches pain in front and behind the ear .I thought I was losing it ,until i saw the right doctor .Stress is a major cause of this but not the only one .Its painful but not life threatening .I hope this helps!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 27, 2008
    • 08:24 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hello, I am 32 and for the past 2 weeks, my neck has been in so much pain. I know without doubt that it is not anxiety or stress because It hurts excruciating to turn it either side. When I'm lying in bed on my right side, I can't pick up my neck. When I'm standing at the kitchen counter chopping vegetables, I feel an intense pain that I have to lift my head up from what I'm doing for a bit. Now, when I eat, my left cheek bone hurts. I have been having headaches that won't go away with medicine and my neck is hurting constantly. Just sitting at the computer is making my neck hurt only on the left and I have never had neck problems such as this except for a pinched nerve on my right side that I've had way before this. I have not been involved in any major sports or heavy activity. It just came about and it is getting worse. When I press on the spot below my left ear and back a little, the pain is so intense and I get nauseous right away. When I stop pressing, the feeling goes away.Bonnie in Western Massbonnaleesa at a o l dot com
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I have been having this pain also. I think it may be a strained or pulled muscle. I have TMJ but I don't think this is related because most of my symptoms from that are on the right. I also have a long history of neck pain but it's usually further to the back of the neck or lower on the sides. I've noticed this pain a little more recently since I've been unemployed and spending a lot more time lying on the couch applying for jobs. My only other thought was an ear infection. If anyone else has any ideas...? I'll ask my chiropractor on thursday when I see him.
  • So here is the simple truth.This pain has very little to do with blood pressure or anxiety, as a root cause. They're both secondary to something very very simple.Jaw tension.The area you're describing is part of the mechanism that works your jaw. Thus, relax your jaw, by parting your lips gently and letting your tongue touch the bottom of your mouth. After a few minutes of breathing and jaw relaxation the pain will be gone.If you remain anxious and uppity, then yeah, your blood pressure will probably go up.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 11, 2009
    • 10:12 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I ahve been getting these sharp pains 1" behind the bottom of my left ear which makes my neck and shoulder muscles tense up and then I become very cold. At first I thought it was just stress, but I'm not sure anymore.Any help will be appreciated
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 28, 2010
    • 10:19 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I have been getting these sharp pains 1" behind the bottom of my left ear which makes my neck and shoulder muscles tense up and then I become very cold. At first I thought it was just stress, but I'm not sure anymore.Any help will be appreciatedI, too, had the sharp pain behind my left ear for almost 4 weeks before I was diagnosed with Bell's Palsy. The pain worsened when I was in bed lying on my left side. My doctor chased it all over the place trying to decide what was causing it (anxiety, ear wax deposited on the eardrum, sinus infection, etc.), and I finally diagnosed it myself on WebMD after experiencing eye and facial twitches and eventually mild paralysis on the left side of my face. Once the paralysis set in, the pain behind my ear went away and has not returned. The paralysis is still here, however, after more than a month from onset. My doctor confirmed my self-diagnosis and treated me with steroids and antiviral meds, which were not effective since I was too far into the disease before starting treatment. He now tells me he has now treated several cases of Bell's since mine and feels that there is a virus going around that may be the cause.Good luck!
  • I ahve been getting these sharp pains 1" behind the bottom of my left ear which makes my neck and shoulder muscles tense up and then I become very cold. At first I thought it was just stress, but I'm not sure anymore.Any help will be appreciatedI have heart disease. I have been getting a sharp pain intermittently in my left ear. Could it be related? According to some articles, YES. So if you are having sharp pain in your ear, especially if you are a woman, seek out an EKG machine.
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement