Discussions By Condition: Eye conditions

constant shimmering in peripheral vision

Posted In: Eye conditions 5 Replies
  • Posted By: maypo1959
  • April 12, 2008
  • 02:29 PM

I have diabetic retinopathy. vision only in right eye since 1989. I have 20/25 vision in right eye. 2 1/2 weeks ago noticed shimmering in peripheral - sparkles and waves. It is constant. Went to a neuro opthamologist, had CT scan MRI, neck MRI, retinal exam, macula exam, optic nerve exam. They can't find anything wrong. 18 years ago had laser all around the peripheral but not again since. Doctors say it is that area that is "flaring" or "inflamed". Do not have migraines, never did. Also, it is constant and visual migraines only last up to 40 minutes.
What can I do? Is there any treatment? Doctors say it will go away on it's own. Nearly 3 weeks, no improvement. Please help. Only have ONE eye.:confused:

Reply Flag this Discussion

5 Replies:

• Just one week ago I noticed a small shimmering spot in my peripheral vision. since then there are times where my whole right side to my peripheral vision is shimmering - especially noticeable when I am sitting motionless and the background vision in my peripheral is bright and has lots of small shapes to it. Went to an eye doctor and he found nothing wrong. Told not to obsess over it - it should go away on its own. Very disconcerning but not sure what else to do.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 29, 2009
    • 04:59 AM
    Flag this Response
  • You can read my post titled Azoor. Constant peripheral shimmering is one of the symptoms that I have continuously.Ryan
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 30, 2009
    • 09:05 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Just one week ago I noticed a small shimmering spot in my peripheral vision. since then there are times where my whole right side to my peripheral vision is shimmering - especially noticeable when I am sitting motionless and the background vision in my peripheral is bright and has lots of small shapes to it. Went to an eye doctor and he found nothing wrong. Told not to obsess over it - it should go away on its own. Very disconcerning but not sure what else to do.Hi. I'm so sorry to hear that u have this "shimmering problem". Yes, I still have it and it is now 1 1/2 years, but - - GOOD NEWS!!!! - it DOES get better!. Either it gets better or your BRAIN is sending you messages that it just doesn't bother you that much! Yes, it's true. It doesn't completely go away, but you just "don't notice it" that much and you CAN function. I went nuts went it first happeed :( but then not too much time went by when I just got "used to it" and then I hardly noticed it anymore. Went to all knds of doctors had all tests, MRI's , CAT SCANS, EEG, you name it. And a Nuerologist finally told me that its bascially a misfiring neuron in the brain and its not dangerous and it won't get worse. At first, I was prescribed XANAX to help it calm down a bit, which definitely worked. I also tried Topomax, an anti seizure med and that works too. So, don't despair, its not as bad as it seems right now. I function fine, drive, work, eveything.Take careFellow Eye Shimmerer
    maypo1959 1 Replies
    • October 3, 2009
    • 03:55 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi. I'm so sorry to hear that u have this "shimmering problem". Yes, I still have it and it is now 1 1/2 years, but - - GOOD NEWS!!!! - it DOES get better!. Either it gets better or your BRAIN is sending you messages that it just doesn't bother you that much! Yes, it's true. It doesn't completely go away, but you just "don't notice it" that much and you CAN function. I went nuts went it first happeed :( but then not too much time went by when I just got "used to it" and then I hardly noticed it anymore. Went to all knds of doctors had all tests, MRI's , CAT SCANS, EEG, you name it. And a Nuerologist finally told me that its bascially a misfiring neuron in the brain and its not dangerous and it won't get worse. At first, I was prescribed XANAX to help it calm down a bit, which definitely worked. I also tried Topomax, an anti seizure med and that works too. So, don't despair, its not as bad as it seems right now. I function fine, drive, work, eveything.Take careFellow Eye ShimmererHi All,It has been a while since my last shimmer and just this morning, both eyes, on the left upper periphery started to shimmer. I almost panicked but started to google swimming eyes and got Mark Spitz. Then my wife said the word shimmering and bingo but by the time it took to begin to post this, the shimmer had gone to the bottom left and was just a glimmer of a shimmer. Now with the post almost finished, it seems to be completely gone.Lets hope all you shimmerers have such a quick shimcovery.Don
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 1, 2010
    • 06:47 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi. I'm so sorry to hear that u have this "shimmering problem". Yes, I still have it and it is now 1 1/2 years, but - - GOOD NEWS!!!! - it DOES get better!. Either it gets better or your BRAIN is sending you messages that it just doesn't bother you that much! Yes, it's true. It doesn't completely go away, but you just "don't notice it" that much and you CAN function. I went nuts went it first happeed :( but then not too much time went by when I just got "used to it" and then I hardly noticed it anymore. Went to all knds of doctors had all tests, MRI's , CAT SCANS, EEG, you name it. And a Nuerologist finally told me that its bascially a misfiring neuron in the brain and its not dangerous and it won't get worse. At first, I was prescribed XANAX to help it calm down a bit, which definitely worked. I also tried Topomax, an anti seizure med and that works too. So, don't despair, its not as bad as it seems right now. I function fine, drive, work, eveything.Take careFellow Eye ShimmererOh! By the way, I wonder if eating for gum drops helped to kill the shimmer this morning??Beats the H--l out of the cost of med care.http://forums.wrongdiagnosis.com/images/icons/icon10.gifDon
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 1, 2010
    • 06:54 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement