Discussions By Condition: Medical Stories

my son has hallucinations whenever he has a fever

Posted In: Medical Stories 4 Replies
  • Posted By: lifeiswaycool
  • April 12, 2008
  • 10:24 AM

I have decided to seek help for a strange problem my son has had since he was about 7. At first I thought it was a fluke, or just some strange side effect that would accompany a fever. But whenever my son has a flu, or cold that is with a fever, he will wake up in the middle of the night having severe panic attacks, hallucinations and confusion. He is now almost 16 and he just wandered into our room crying, "I don't want to die, what the....? what the..." He was swiping the air, and his heart was pounding. He was sortof crying out, and mumbling.

He had a bit of a sore throat this evening and took some ibuprofen and went to bed. But he woke up with the pounding heart, terror, and hallucinations. Some of his hallucinations are: that the world is "hardening" the air is "hardening" and he has severe confusion and rushing words that make no sense. He will then become lucid and ok and he wants me to help him, hold him and comfort him. Then he starts panicking again and he seems disoriented and terrified and starts mumbling again. This happens almost every single time he has a fever. Even if it's a slight fever. He has hallucinations that are chaotic and filled with terror. I'm very worried and sad and have not even a clue as to what is the deal. He's a very intelligent, quiet boy. He's a vegetarian, but I don't agree that he should be. He doesn't have a good diet. He's too picky, but for ethical reasons he refuses to eat meat. I'm not sure if this is diet related or what, but I know I'm really scared and finally I need some help. I realize that this is long winded, but it's complex and strange. Any help at all would be great. Jacob has had this problem ever since he was about 7 and he had a flu with very, very high fever (105.8). He had hallucinations that demons were streaming into the room, crashing around and screaming chaotically. I am so worried. Please help if you know what may be going on.

Reply Flag this Discussion

4 Replies:

• Have you found the answer to this one? My son is having the same problem now
    Anonymous 1 Replies
    • November 17, 2014
    • 11:46 PM
    Flag this Response
  • My son is 11 and has had this happen a couple times. I am searching around trying to find information about it. There is almost none that exists. What have you done about it- have you brought him to a doctor? What professional advice have you received, if any?
    Anonymous 1 Replies
    • November 22, 2014
    • 02:41 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Haya I was just wondering if you had any help, break through or updates on your sons condition? (If that's what we can cask it) my son is 7 and he goes through the exact same thing. It is so sad and I have no idea what to do.
    Anonymous 1 Replies
    • November 24, 2014
    • 08:24 AM
    Flag this Response
  • We are experiencing all of the above, as well. My son is 6 and this just began with a low grade fever this past weekend. We have has two episodes. Any information would be great!!
    Anonymous 1 Replies
    • December 10, 2014
    • 00:15 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement