Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Chiropractic manipulation, facial numbness

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 0 Replies
  • Posted By: tarmale
  • April 8, 2008
  • 00:45 AM

Hi, I am a 38 year old female who for the past five years after a chiropractic manipulation has had intermittent left sided facial numbness with very painful spasming and at times limited range of motion. I do have some bulging/herniated discs from time to time but I have not been able to find an exact diagnosis as to:

1-What exactly is causing the numbness. Is it a bulging disc hitting a spinal nerve? Is it a degenerated disc? Is there some kind of damage to the facial nerve?
2-What other test do I need to do to find this out? My last MRI was about 4 years ago and I'm not sure if my insurance will allow another one.

I do not have weakness in my limbs or incontinence or anything like that. The only thing I have is facial numbness which is exasperated by any kind of upper body lifting. It feels like I've had novicane and it's wearing off. Definitely feels different than the right side. I find myself rubbing the left side of my face all day. However, when I don't lift or go to the gym etc then it's fine. I used to have this only intermittently every few months but it's gotten worse. I try and take it easy at the gym but I want to lift for health reasons but without further injuring myself. The latest doctor told me that since I do not exhibit any signs of nerve damage, limping, incontinence etc that it is muscular. He gave me Lidoderm patches but they do absolutely nothing. I cannot imagine though living like this for the rest of my life as it becomes very depressing.
Can anyone else relate or going through something similar?

I would appreciate any help.

Thank you!!

Reply Flag this Discussion
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement