Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Chiropractic manipulation, facial numbness

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 9 Replies
  • Posted By: tarmale
  • April 8, 2008
  • 00:45 AM

Hi, I am a 38 year old female who for the past five years after a chiropractic manipulation has had intermittent left sided facial numbness with very painful spasming and at times limited range of motion. I do have some bulging/herniated discs from time to time but I have not been able to find an exact diagnosis as to:

1-What exactly is causing the numbness. Is it a bulging disc hitting a spinal nerve? Is it a degenerated disc? Is there some kind of damage to the facial nerve?
2-What other test do I need to do to find this out? My last MRI was about 4 years ago and I'm not sure if my insurance will allow another one.

I do not have weakness in my limbs or incontinence or anything like that. The only thing I have is facial numbness which is exasperated by any kind of upper body lifting. It feels like I've had novicane and it's wearing off. Definitely feels different than the right side. I find myself rubbing the left side of my face all day. However, when I don't lift or go to the gym etc then it's fine. I used to have this only intermittently every few months but it's gotten worse. I try and take it easy at the gym but I want to lift for health reasons but without further injuring myself. The latest doctor told me that since I do not exhibit any signs of nerve damage, limping, incontinence etc that it is muscular. He gave me Lidoderm patches but they do absolutely nothing. I cannot imagine though living like this for the rest of my life as it becomes very depressing.
Can anyone else relate or going through something similar?

I would appreciate any help.

Thank you!!

Reply Flag this Discussion

9 Replies:

• Hi I have read that chiropractic manipulation can cause these types of symptoms. I have some nerve damage and numbness and tingling pain is a sign of nerve damage. Pain with incontinence etc. is a sign of more serious nerve damage or a trapped nerve, but it does sound as if you do have nerve damage. I know from experience that normal painkillers don't really make an impression on this type of pain. You need medication that is for neuralgia. This includes amitriptyline, cambiozole (definetly not how you spell it but it is an anti epilepsy drug). Acunpuncture and TENS machines can also help. I don't know how your bulging discs impact on it though.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Hi I have read that chiropractic manipulation can cause problems like this. I have nerve damage and the pain and spasms you are getting are a sign of nerve damage. It si true this is not as serious nerve damage as people who get incontinence or a limp, but it is still nerve damage. Ordinary painkillers don't help with this kind of pain. You need medication such as amitriptyline, etc. Acupuncture and TENS machines can be helpful for some people as well. I don't know how the problems with your disc would link in though.
  • I saw a recent report on Channel 4 Boston about stroke and other neurological problems caused by chiropractic manipulation. Be careful!
    aquila 1,263 Replies Flag this Response
  • From the sound of it and the fact that it is intermittent and gets better when you do not go to the gym or work out I would say that it has nothing to do with the past chiropractic adjustment. There could be a lesion along the trigeminal nerve on that side or it could be neurovascular such as an atypical migrainous response. It could be some side effect of medications. The facial nerve is motor to the face, not sensory, so that is not it. Degenerative or bulging discs only affect the neck and arms and upper back, not the face . I wish you the best .
  • Ihave the exact same symptoms! I have never seen a chiropractor, so I don't know if that has anything to do with it... I had MRI brain and Cspine, the only thing that showed up was a C5 herniated disc.. my neck bothers me, but the face is driving me crazey. The nuerologist has place me on Tegretol for possible trigeminal neuralgia, but it doesn't seem to be helping much. I like you have the wearing off novacaine feeling on my right face, worse when my neck is aggravated ( for me it is leaning forward while reaching forward), so I cant help but think my neck has something to do with it, although I know that makes no sense anatomically (the cranial nerves exit the brain higher up)... good luck!Hi, I am a 38 year old female who for the past five years after a chiropractic manipulation has had intermittent left sided facial numbness with very painful spasming and at times limited range of motion. I do have some bulging/herniated discs from time to time but I have not been able to find an exact diagnosis as to: 1-What exactly is causing the numbness. Is it a bulging disc hitting a spinal nerve? Is it a degenerated disc? Is there some kind of damage to the facial nerve?2-What other test do I need to do to find this out? My last MRI was about 4 years ago and I'm not sure if my insurance will allow another one. I do not have weakness in my limbs or incontinence or anything like that. The only thing I have is facial numbness which is exasperated by any kind of upper body lifting. It feels like I've had novicane and it's wearing off. Definitely feels different than the right side. I find myself rubbing the left side of my face all day. However, when I don't lift or go to the gym etc then it's fine. I used to have this only intermittently every few months but it's gotten worse. I try and take it easy at the gym but I want to lift for health reasons but without further injuring myself. The latest doctor told me that since I do not exhibit any signs of nerve damage, limping, incontinence etc that it is muscular. He gave me Lidoderm patches but they do absolutely nothing. I cannot imagine though living like this for the rest of my life as it becomes very depressing. Can anyone else relate or going through something similar? I would appreciate any help. Thank you!!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 28, 2008
    • 04:04 PM
    Flag this Response
  • It comes and goes. Sometimes next my heart starts beating out of control or the visa versa. My doc thinks it's maybe my potassium level or iron level too low but my irons just fine now and I'm wondering it's its the potassium but I keep eating things with potassium but it doesn't help. I do have a severe buldging disk in the back of my neck and two others buldging. One being the worse, one almost as bad and the other just starting. I have some type of arthritis in my spine too. I have herpes type II and I also was diagnosed with asthma 2 years ago and recently had a cat scan of my lungs because of a nodule. Haven't gotten the results. I'm suppose to get x-rays and scans of my lungs for my pulmonologist. I'm 49, f, and have 2 kids left to raise and one in college that may end up back at home. I also have a 30 yr old. I need to stay healthy and I just went back to college and having these problems. Anyone know what this is? The VA isn't worth nothing. They don't do enough. I have to have my neck cracked by the chiropractor sometimes when I end up not being able to move my neck and in pain.
    adanaturkey8385 3 Replies
    • January 24, 2009
    • 07:00 AM
    Flag this Response
  • NRVS is correct.
    richard wayne2b 1,232 Replies
    • January 24, 2009
    • 02:44 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I suffer from jaw-joint pain, and I now have a puffy, elderly face. I believe I have these problems because two chiropractic interns performed bone-crunching neck adjustments. Shortly afterward, my jaw felt misaligned, my chin receded, my bite was off, my teeth hurt and when I slowly opened my mouth, my jaw swung to my left. I reported these problems to subsequent interns and an supervising doctor at Life Chiropractic College West in Hayward, CA (LCCW). They all said my misaligned jaw would naturally re-set because regular chiropractic care properly realigns the whole body. But my jaw misalignment caused a chain reaction of compensating misalignments. I developed pains in my arms and feet, so I thought I had bursitis and plantar fasciitis. Interns applied cold laser treatments that had no effect. Along with a receding jawline, I had a massive double chin, even though I hadn’t gained weight. I felt frustrated that interns & doctors showed no concern about my facial distortion even when I showed them before-and-after photographs. After 2 years of indifference, I complained to the president of LCCW, who told me that my intractable “jaw/TMJ problem” was resistant to chiropractic treatment. He also blamed orthodontia work done 30 years ago, thereby ignoring my before-and-after pictures showing facial changes in 2006. The president’s assertion that I have an intractable, chiropractic-resistant jaw problem would mean interns and doctors strung me along for 2 ½ years while knowing they couldn’t help me. In November 2008, I switched to osteopathic treatment. The osteopath--who is board certified in internal medicine--told me rough neck adjustments had caused trauma to my neck and jaw. This trauma activated a clenching reflex in surrounding muscles, thereby causing my jaw to pull back, my chin to recede, my bite to become misaligned and my lymphatic system to constrict, thus causing facial puffiness. Since ending chiropractic care at LCCW, I’ve spent more than $4,000 on massage therapy and osteopathic care. I recommend that anyone with chronic joint/skeletal problems see an osteopath, who has 4 years of medical school training and thoroughly knows anatomy. Osteopaths are more expensive, but when you calculate the fee against the treatment time, it's comparable to chiropractic care. My osteopath treats me for 45 minutes, whereas my chiropractic treatments lasted about 5 minutes. Osteopathic treatment is so gentle, I sometimes fall asleep on the table. My first visit cost $250 and lasted 90 minutes. Subsequent visits cost $135. I checked out my osteopath on the Internet. FYI: There's an interesting article on the dangers of neck adjustments. You can Google "neck adjustment dangers" or go to: http://www.self.com/health/2007/04/chiropractors-causing-strokes; I hope this helps.--Elizabeth N.
  • Elizabeth, It seems that the main problem is that after you were injured by an intern (not a licensed D.C.) you continued to allow them to treat you. I can tell you by experience that I never felt worse than when I was being adjusted by chiropractic students. I would often have to return to my experienced DC at home to get back to normal. As far as Osteopaths go, they do great work as well. However, many of the DO colleges don't focus on manual treatment anymore as ostropathy has really went mainstram into western medicine. This was the main reason that I chose chiropractic college over DO in 1992. I work in an office with a family practice DO and she sends all of the manipulation and therapy to me because she dosent feel comfortable in that area. I'm sorry to hear about your experience but please keep in mind that the interns lacked the experience to correct what was wrong and even the president of LCCW hasn't practiced in 30 plus years.Sincerely,Dr. EledgeI suffer from jaw-joint pain, and I now have a puffy, elderly face. I believe I have these problems because two chiropractic interns performed bone-crunching neck adjustments. Shortly afterward, my jaw felt misaligned, my chin receded, my bite was off, my teeth hurt and when I slowly opened my mouth, my jaw swung to my left. I reported these problems to subsequent interns and an supervising doctor at Life Chiropractic College West in Hayward, CA (LCCW). They all said my misaligned jaw would naturally re-set because regular chiropractic care properly realigns the whole body. But my jaw misalignment caused a chain reaction of compensating misalignments. I developed pains in my arms and feet, so I thought I had bursitis and plantar fasciitis. Interns applied cold laser treatments that had no effect. Along with a receding jawline, I had a massive double chin, even though I hadn’t gained weight. I felt frustrated that interns & doctors showed no concern about my facial distortion even when I showed them before-and-after photographs. After 2 years of indifference, I complained to the president of LCCW, who told me that my intractable “jaw/TMJ problem” was resistant to chiropractic treatment. He also blamed orthodontia work done 30 years ago, thereby ignoring my before-and-after pictures showing facial changes in 2006. The president’s assertion that I have an intractable, chiropractic-resistant jaw problem would mean interns and doctors strung me along for 2 ½ years while knowing they couldn’t help me. In November 2008, I switched to osteopathic treatment. The osteopath--who is board certified in internal medicine--told me rough neck adjustments had caused trauma to my neck and jaw. This trauma activated a clenching reflex in surrounding muscles, thereby causing my jaw to pull back, my chin to recede, my bite to become misaligned and my lymphatic system to constrict, thus causing facial puffiness. Since ending chiropractic care at LCCW, I’ve spent more than $4,000 on massage therapy and osteopathic care. I recommend that anyone with chronic joint/skeletal problems see an osteopath, who has 4 years of medical school training and thoroughly knows anatomy. Osteopaths are more expensive, but when you calculate the fee against the treatment time, it's comparable to chiropractic care. My osteopath treats me for 45 minutes, whereas my chiropractic treatments lasted about 5 minutes. Osteopathic treatment is so gentle, I sometimes fall asleep on the table. My first visit cost $250 and lasted 90 minutes. Subsequent visits cost $135. I checked out my osteopath on the Internet. FYI: There's an interesting article on the dangers of neck adjustments. You can Google "neck adjustment dangers" or go to: http://www.self.com/health/2007/04/chiropractors-causing-strokes; I hope this helps.--Elizabeth N.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 11, 2010
    • 06:33 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement