Discussions By Condition: Ears, Nose, Mouth & Throat conditions

Feels like popcorn stuck in my throat???

• Posted By: Anonymous
  • April 5, 2008
  • 02:07 AM

Ok, this may sound crazy but several months ago I felt a spot in my throat that felt exactly like when you get one of those little half popcorn seed shells stuck on the top of the soft part of your throat? You know what I mean where it drives you crazy until you finally have to stick your finger back there and scrape it out with your nail (I'm not crazy right? Other people HAVE had this experience??) Anyway when I finally reached in after it I found that it was actually a tiny bump, but it popped when my nail scraped it and seemed to go away. Since then every couple of days it comes back and irritates me to death until I popp it again. Now its gotten so it comes back nearly every day and sometimes more than once a day!?? Sounds really gross, I know. I did smoke for over twenty years (quit 8 years ago) and I just recently started working in telemarketing again and have had a lot of trouble with being hoarse and feeling like my voice is strained and have been drinking a lot of lemon tea to keep my voice intact. When i was in telemarketing years ago I never had trouble with my voice AT ALL. Any ideas?? I thought about polyps, but aren't they larger and on the vocal chords? All experiences welcomed...

Reply Flag this Discussion

16 Replies:

• Hello,I can't offer you anything but sympathy I'm afraid- I have a very similar experience. I had a bad stomach bug where my stomach just hurt for weeks and I felt rather unwell. I then got the "grit" at the back of my throat, like you describe, only mine lasted a week (I couldn't see anything) and then it turned into more of a lump, and then it went. BUT the day after it vanished, I had a HOARSE and gravelly throat, and 3 months on, I still can't talk or sing properly. My throat is often sore and I have a lump when I swallow. I am a singing teacher so you can see how depressing and dififcult this is. It also doesn't seem to go away when I rest my voice.So, how are you now? Did you get to the bottom of it? Please let me know!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • my mom had a similar feeling, something stuck in her throat and her made her cough a lot, this went on for a couple of months, one day she coughed and honest to god a tomato seed came out... she felt like her old self a few days later. there are some forms of tonsil problems where food can get stuck in your tonsil "crypts" and can cause a bid of an odor. Its called chronic cryptic tonsillitis.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 2, 2009
    • 06:29 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Do a search on here for 'tonsilliths' or 'tonsil stones'. Sounds like this is your problem.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 19, 2009
    • 10:16 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I feel discomfort when i swallow. Was jus drinking some water, then i got this irritating feeling in my throat. When i swallowed i felt a scraping effect, what could this be!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 9, 2010
    • 03:34 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I do not mean to offend anyone with this post..however...I recently read an article from one of the Health sites speaking about a similar sounding issue. They suggest having a throat swab and testing for STD's.....the article stated that STD's situated in the throat are rapidly increasing due to oral sex.....you may want to follow up on this, as the final result to your health can be devasting.....their words, not mine...hope this is helpful.....GinnyBee
    keishainu 25 Replies
    • February 24, 2010
    • 09:00 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I do not mean to offend anyone with this post..however...I recently read an article from one of the Health sites speaking about a similar sounding issue. They suggest having a throat swab and testing for STD's.....the article, stated that STD's situated in the throat are rapidly increasing due to oral sex.......you may want to follow up on this, as the final result to your health can be devastating.......their words, not mine......hope this is helpful.......GinnyBee[/quot..
    keishainu 25 Replies
    • February 24, 2010
    • 09:04 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I do not mean to offend anyone with this post..however...I recently read an article from one of the Health sites speaking about a similar sounding issue. They suggest having a throat swab and testing for STD's.....the article, stated that STD's situated in the throat are rapidly increasing due to oral sex.......you may want to follow up on this, as the final result to your health can be devastating.......their words, not mine......hope this is helpful.......GinnyBeeI think what GinnyBee may be referring to is HPV (Human Papilloma Virus).. which can be acquired from oral sex with an HPV infected person...The danger of some forms of HPV is that they increase the risk of cervical cancer in women, although as far as I know, that applies to the genital varieties of HPV and NOT the ones that cause warts.From the symptoms described above, I wouldn't think it's HPV since HPV warts would not pop.My guess would be tonsiliths or something related.The throat has a number of tiny pockets around your tonsils. Those pockets occasionally fill up with bacteria, making a little chunk which later pops out all at once or is reabsorbed into the body. These "tonsilith"s, can can cause you to feel like something is scraping the walls of your throat.I'm currently suffering from what I think is an infected tonsilith, and its REALLY annoying, but I'm trying to let the infection clear on its own rather than getting antibiotics, because excessive prescription of antibiotics leads to resistant superbugs like MRSA !!, but if this gets worse, or lasts more than a couple more days, I'm going to the doc.Good Luck out there!p.s. I AM NOT A DOCTOR
  • I think what GinnyBee may be referring to is HPV (Human Papilloma Virus).. which can be acquired from oral sex with an HPV infected person...The danger of some forms of HPV is that they increase the risk of cervical cancer in women, although as far as I know, that applies to the genital varieties of HPV and NOT the ones that cause warts.From the symptoms described above, I wouldn't think it's HPV since HPV warts would not pop.My guess would be tonsiliths or something related.The throat has a number of tiny pockets around your tonsils. Those pockets occasionally fill up with bacteria, making a little chunk which later pops out all at once or is reabsorbed into the body. These "tonsilith"s, can can cause you to feel like something is scraping the walls of your throat.I'm currently suffering from what I think is an infected tonsilith, and its REALLY annoying, but I'm trying to let the infection clear on its own rather than getting antibiotics, because excessive prescription of antibiotics leads to resistant superbugs like MRSA !!, but if this gets worse, or lasts more than a couple more days, I'm going to the doc.Good Luck out there!p.s. I AM NOT A DOCTORI have the same thing as is making me nuts... I have removed the visible stones, but now I think they r on the back of my tonsil which I can not see... it feels like something is suck and feels scrachy at times... it makes me cough alot... i guess it is the attempt to clear it which it never does...I have coughed so hard and so much that I have nearly vomited,,, i have an appt with the ENT , but in 3 days... now I also have an earache... Im so upset
  • I feel discomfort when i swallow. Was jus drinking some water, then i got this irritating feeling in my throat. When i swallowed i felt a scraping effect, what could this be!If you have sinus or allergy problems then chances are thats what it is, if you start to feel bad or run a fever, then you should see a Dr.promptly, that could be a sign of a throat infection. For allergies, try allegra, zyrtec or clariten. Sometimes when your sinuses drain it can cause your throat to become irritated, scratchy or even sore.
  • I know your solution, thank me later, my email is miltonluban@hotmail.com Trust me forget the ENT's I have tried them too many times as I once suffered the same as you are.Your problem is 100% allergies. Post nasil Drip!Forget your Primary care DR, and your ENT. Go to a allergist! If you live in the New York area I have a great one, get tested to see if your allergic to anything, but in the mean time try a decongestion, over the counter, twice a day, and a sinus rinse, it uses saline water wash, twice a day, oh and drink a hot tea nothing cold. and get yourself over to the allergist ASAP. That's your solution! SO many people suffer from what you are! and they go to there primary Dr, the ENT and no one goes to the right DR which in this case is the allegist! So get going and see a good one!!!! It's always the last thing to do after they have suffered for so much time!
  • Allergies make sense. I have been feeling like I have a hair stuck in my throat for the last few days. Doesn't bother me when I eat, no fever, I take meds for acid reflux so that should not be acting up. I regularly take allergy medicine but have been telling my dr it does not work. I have been using eye drops due to itchy/swollen eyes the last few days ever since this started and did not relate the 2. Tonight I will change from my Singulair to Claritin and see if it works. Thanks.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 29, 2010
    • 08:39 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• Did you ever figure out what it was? I have the exact same problem. Please help!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 9, 2011
    • 00:06 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Did you ever figure out what it was? I have the exact same problem. Please help!Yes. Throat cancer. I believe I have only a short time left.
  • I have the same as all have described. It came after I ate citrus flavored fizz candy. I believe the citrus is the culprit of the little dot. My gf has similar problems with her inner cheeks when she eats grapefruit. Lay off the lemons and it should probably go away.
  • I have the same problem... The way it feels to me is like a piece of chicken stuck at the back of my throat. I can not see anything but it has been constant for the last couple of weeks. It doesn't really make me cough but sometimes I dry reach - I think that might be in my head a little though just at the thought of something stuck in my throat. Is there anything I can try before seeing my GP? I work rural and am not back in town for another few weeks... Thanks everyone!!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 14, 2011
    • 03:41 AM
    Flag this Response
  • hey I have the exact same thing and I was looking around to see what it is lol havent found nothing yet, but its the same thing you have no symptoms no fever no pain nothing just a frekinn popcorn thing stuck in the tonsil then it comes right out when you press on it.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 15, 2011
    • 05:21 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement